Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2016, 02:56 PM - 5 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K1 will it breathe new life into focal lengths that have not been as popular?

As a young man in the 1960's, I was not able to afford good cameras or lens. Those adds in the photo magazines at the doctor's office were enticing to say the least, but they (cameras and lens) cost so much and were beyond my reach. Then in the late 1970's my wife saved up enough money to buy me a K1000 with a 50mm kit lens and a Sear's brand 135mm tele for Christmas. My dream had come true....partially anyway. There were still all those adds for those exotic (to me anyway) 70-210 zooms and those nice 24mm,28mm and 35mm wide angle lens. I had no idea what a macro was so they didn't matter but those zooms......Man, I dreamed of a zoom!

So I finally in the early 2000's I was able to step up to digital. Got a Kodak DX6490 and loved it. But even though it had a built in 10X zoom it didn't have the interchangeability I was used to. At 4 MP's it did not overwhelm. I stayed with this for several years till Pentax came out with my dream camera....The K10D! I was now, since my children had all grown up and moved out ( Dad always said "You never know how much money you have till the Kids leave home and the Dog dies." He was right.) able to afford this dream camera. NOW... NOW... I can buy and use those exotic Zooms That I always dreamed of. So I bought and tried around 250 different zoom lens in a large number of focal lengths and brands. They just did not seem to work with the K10D. Being a crop camera these popular (for film camera days) just didn't excite me as they did on my K1000 or Spotmatic.. Then there were those primes that I liked and those I had always longed for. Those 24mm 28mm and 35mm wide angle lens were not wide angle. They just didn't work as well as I had hoped. I bought and tried over 100 of those. They, during this time, having fallen somewhat out of favor were quite cheap on Ebay and I had enough money just from my daily lunch money to buy lots and try them out. 135mm? It was now the equivalent of a 200mm. Not a portrait lens any more. They were selling for peanuts on Ebay and at one time I had over 30 in my collection. None of the 135mm lens excited or gave me that much pleasure. that focal length that was so popular in my 35mm film days just was not what I liked with an APS-C sensor camera.

The K1 is now causing those Zooms and those 35mm popular focal lengths to escalate in price on Ebay and other auction sites. They were made to work well with a Full Frame sensor. I look forward to trying them and now finally use them as I once imagined doing. I know it sounds silly to the millennial crowed but I was married at 17, actually was working for a living at 16. Had 3 kids before I was 21 and have remained married to the same woman for 49 years. I was one of the working poor for nearly 30 years and now retired I can fulfill some of my fantasies from those days where working two 8 hour shifts a day during the week and working a 12 hour shift on the weekends I could only dream of owning a good camera and these fantasy lens of mine.

The K1 will liberate those old popular focal lengths........................Won't it?

From earlier days, a tiny part of what I had collected. I still have some of these.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/315334-k-1-wildlife-birding-2.html

04-01-2016, 02:58 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

My wife bought me a pair of socks once.
04-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think many Pentax users will struggle with their FF lenses since they're accustomed to the cropped FoV. My take is 85 and 100 as legacy lenses will be the first to see a surge, then 135 - if it ever does. 135 is in the sweet middle of the 70~200.
04-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The FF camera will certainly make traditional focal lenths more usefull. A sony A7 still seems like the best way to play with old manual lens IMO. At least pentax went to the effort of producing a great selection of lenses for APS-C, unlike canikon.

04-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe, but I'll take the optical viewfinder, native mount and open aperture or Green Button metering every time over an EVF, an adapter and stopping down.
04-01-2016, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dawg Quote
As a young man in the 1960's, I was not able to afford good cameras or lens. Those adds in the photo magazines at the doctor's office were enticing to say the least, but they (cameras and lens) cost so much and were beyond my reach. Then in the late 1970's my wife saved up enough money to buy me a K1000 with a 50mm kit lens and a Sear's brand 135mm tele for Christmas. My dream had come true....partially anyway. There were still all those adds for those exotic (to me anyway) 70-210 zooms and those nice 24mm,28mm and 35mm wide angle lens. I had no idea what a macro was so they didn't matter but those zooms......Man, I dreamed of a zoom!

The K1 is now causing those Zooms and those 35mm popular focal lengths to escalate in price on Ebay and other auction sites. They were made to work well with a Full Frame sensor. I look forward to trying them and now finally use them as I once imagined doing. I know it sounds silly to the millennial crowed but I was married at 17, actually was working for a living at 16. Had 3 kids before I was 21 and have remained married to the same woman for 49 years. I was one of the working poor for nearly 30 years and now retired I can fulfill some of my fantasies from those days where working two 8 hour shifts a day during the week and working a 12 hour shift on the weekends I could only dream of owning a good camera and these fantasy lens of mine.

The K1 will liberate those old popular focal lengths........................Won't it?
At least parts of your story will resonate with many on the forum. Have fun!
04-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
The FF camera will certainly make traditional focal lenths more usefull. A sony A7 still seems like the best way to play with old manual lens IMO. At least pentax went to the effort of producing a great selection of lenses for APS-C, unlike canikon.
Don't forget the M42's and the M42 to K-mount adapter.

135's like the CZJ DDR 135/3.5 MC, Tair 11A 135/2.8 (20 oily old blades of joyous glorious bokeh!) and Jupiter 11A are wonderful lenses in every respect. They are sharp, colour is lovely, in fact I can't fault them.

Edit: You can adapt Leica-R to Pentax-K too, using a Leitax adapter.

04-01-2016, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many portrait photographers on full frame use the 70-200 as their primary lens. 135 on apsc isn't any different but it doesn't seem like a natural fit at first.

I have developed an eye for apsc but started with film - the adjustment isn't too hard. It is also easy to let your mind rather than your mind see for you. Try lenses that seem awkward, you may find new uses.
04-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I hope to buy a K-1 eventually and I'm curious to see what it does to my lens selection. Moving from film (full frame) to digital changed my favorite lenses so I'm wondering if I'll change back to my old film favorites now.
04-01-2016, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I'm excited to have a 28mm feel wide again. That is definitely the one FL that has never felt right on APS-C. Second to that,
it will be nice for a 50mm to once again be 'normal'.

Short answer is "Yes!", the old standards will be more at home on FF than on APS-C, particularly if you became familiar with
those focal lengths on 35mm film in the first place.
04-01-2016, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
My wife bought me a pair of socks once.
Through aggregation of laundry and the passage of time, I have 11 pairs of good socks.

The key is to buy good socks that last. Follow this plan and, rather than constantly replace that cheap pair of socks, your stable will grow. Getting into underwear requires more strategy than most dare to care.

As far as lenses, the one oddball for me is the 105. I don't recall much about it on APS-C. Other focal lengths popped up, even though they were 'FF FL'...
I have grown to really like a short medium tele on APS-C. I don't plan to buy a 105 (relative equivalent to my current fav), but will try to like an even shorter tele and know I can crop back to my old FOV.
04-01-2016, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My take is 85 and 100 as legacy lenses will be the first to see a surge, then 135 - if it ever does.
I vote on the wide end, which was long a point of friction for many APS-C shooters. I expect prices on 24mm and 28mm to surge along with a renewed interest in the FA 35/2.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-01-2016 at 06:15 PM.
04-01-2016, 04:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I'm excited to have a 28mm feel wide again. That is definitely the one FL that has never felt right on APS-C. Second to that,
it will be nice for a 50mm to once again be 'normal'.

Short answer is "Yes!", the old standards will be more at home on FF than on APS-C, particularly if you became familiar with
those focal lengths on 35mm film in the first place.
I don't know.. I never really liked 35 as a normal and did prefer 28.
I never used the 28 much, because I don't think I like normal lenses...
However, given the choice.. 28

---------- Post added 04-01-16 at 06:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I hope to buy a K-1 eventually and I'm curious to see what it does to my lens selection. Moving from film (full frame) to digital changed my favorite lenses so I'm wondering if I'll change back to my old film favorites now.
Changed your favorite lenses and I figure you mean focal length
But did your favored fields of view change..?
04-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
A sony A7 still seems like the best way to play with old manual lens IMO.
The rub is lack of automatic aperture (actuation). Manual focus is not big deal, but constant fiddling with a fully manual aperture (open to focus...stop down to meter/shoot) is a pain for other than pre-set lenses or types having an auto-manual switch.

Steve
04-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
Through aggregation of laundry and the passage of time, I have 11 pairs of good socks.

The key is to buy good socks that last. Follow this plan and, rather than constantly replace that cheap pair of socks, your stable will grow. Getting into underwear requires more strategy than most dare to care.

As far as lenses, the one oddball for me is the 105. I don't recall much about it on APS-C. Other focal lengths popped up, even though they were 'FF FL'...
I have grown to really like a short medium tele on APS-C. I don't plan to buy a 105 (relative equivalent to my current fav), but will try to like an even shorter tele and know I can crop back to my old FOV.
And they weren't even good socks. That year I got socks and she got a new house plus about £80k.

The 77 Ltd is 115mm on crop and it's a nice focal length. Had some crackin' shots with it on both K5IIs and K-3. Got one of the last flights of the Avro Vulcan XH558 using the 77 and K-3.

I still recommend giving some of the 135mm M42's a trial on either crop or full. They're so cheap off ebay, price/performance ratio is bonkers.