Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will autofocus work between K-1 and my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM II Macro?

I love this lens, and am curious whether I might expect autofocus compatibility issues with this lens and the K-1...

Taken with my K-3:

04-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I see no reason for it not to. Same mount on both cameras.
04-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why should there be any issue??
When AF works on a K3 (or any other Pentax DSLR) there is no reason it should not work on the K1.
04-02-2016, 08:21 AM   #4

Well guess what... Just yesterday I tried my sigma 70-200 mm 2.8, II on a K1 with a pre release firmware and the camera totally blacked out!! Not only didn't the AF work, but everything on the camera froze, you couldn't even turn it off or on!!! Thankfully the lens worked ok when I put it back on my K5II. As the sales person told me this was probably the result of the not final firmware!! Hope they will fix this

04-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

May work even better! Unless.....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/316399-some-old-guy-k1-questions-2.html

Be careful out there, shooting MF with no option is no fun!

I'm looking forward to my K1 and getting back to AF ability!

Regards!

Forgot!
That's a damn fine looking Doggie!
04-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tassosDA Quote
Well guess what... Just yesterday I tried my sigma 70-200 mm 2.8, II on a K1 with a pre release firmware and the camera totally blacked out!! Not only didn't the AF work, but everything on the camera froze, you couldn't even turn it off or on!!! Thankfully the lens worked ok when I put it back on my K5II. As the sales person told me this was probably the result of the not final firmware!! Hope they will fix this
Uh, oh.....

---------- Post added 04-02-2016 at 12:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Forgot!
That's a damn fine looking Doggie!
Thanks, just got him a couple of weeks ago!!
04-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Why should there be any issue??
When AF works on a K3 (or any other Pentax DSLR) there is no reason it should not work on the K1.
This is potentially very serious, much more important than OBF or video.
volley is correct; every lens that works on K-3 should work well on K-1 {with exception of possible vignetting}
No K-mount lens should cause K-1 to freeze.
Hopefully this will be fixed in ver 1.0; otherwise they need to have an emergency patch out.

04-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sigma lenses does not use an official version of Pentax lens mount, Sigma uses "reverse engineering". Even if the K-1 surely will work well with Pentax AF lenses new and old, there is no guarantee that they will work with non-standard mount lenses such as Sigma. Hopefully they will work just fine. My Sigma lenses from the film SLR era works just fine with my digital bodies. Now a HSM lens is a little more complicated but I have had zero issues with my Sigma HSM lens (18-50 f/2.8-4.5) on different Pentax DSLR models so chances are high that K-1 will have zero issues here.
04-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm doubtful any time a brand new forumite posts something like this. Waiting for others to confirm/dispel issues with the 70-200 or other Sigma lenses.

Confirmation would be bad news for many of us especially if additional Sigma lenses don't work correctly. If the K-1 is at fault, Ricoh might not want to devote resources to lenses made by someone else. If the Sigma 70-200 is to blame, Sigma probably doesn't care since they have been gradually abandoning K-mount; the 70-200 is a discontinued lens.
04-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'm doubtful any time a brand new forumite posts something like this. Waiting for others to confirm/dispel issues with the 70-200 or other Sigma lenses.

Confirmation would be bad news for many of us especially if additional Sigma lenses don't work correctly. If the K-1 is at fault, Ricoh might not want to devote resources to lenses made by someone else. If the Sigma 70-200 is to blame, Sigma probably doesn't care since they have been gradually abandoning K-mount; the 70-200 is a discontinued lens.
Let's wait and see. I need to know a whole bunch of things about something that costs big bucks before I order.

Pre-orderers/early adopters I salute you! If it was not for you brave souls such questions would never be answered and post launch price drops never be had.
04-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is potentially very serious, much more important than OBF or video.
volley is correct; every lens that works on K-3 should work well on K-1 {with exception of possible vignetting}
No K-mount lens should cause K-1 to freeze.
Hopefully this will be fixed in ver 1.0; otherwise they need to have an emergency patch out.
You mean "Hopefully this is an erroneous report, otherwise I will have to send in all my Sigma lenses
back for rechipping at Sigma". There, I fixed it for ya.
04-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I was thinking the same ... my Sigma HSM lens never had an issue on K5 or K3. I am very confident the K1 (with final firmware at least) will just work fine.
04-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #13

I want to make clear that this only happened with the 70-200!! As soon as we mounted again the 77 ltd, the camera continued to work perfectly normal. The same goes for the lens on my K5 II. Everything was fine. So yes, I think it's a firmware issue...
04-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I want to make clear that this only happened with the 70-200!! As soon as we mounted again the 77 ltd, the camera continued to work perfectly normal. The same goes for the lens on my K5 II. Everything was fine. So yes, I think it's a firmware issue...
What's the autofocus like?

Thanks
04-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
You mean "Hopefully this is an erroneous report, otherwise I will have to send in all my Sigma lenses
back for rechipping at Sigma". There, I fixed it for ya.
No.
I am a mostly-retired software developer, who now teaches college part-time.
I teach my students that every system must be "robust", which means that it must respond gracefully to every set of inputs, no matter how unusual they be. Total lockup is not a graceful response. The K-1 itself, without assistance from other lenses, flashes, etc, must not respond that way ... and I trust that Pentax will deal with this problem.

BTW - in my early years as a developer, the bitter "joke" told about then-dominant IBM was that if they didn't want to fix a reported bug, they would simply document it, calling it a "special feature". That arrogant style response doesn't work in our modern world, where any product can be replaced over-night