Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tassosDA Quote
Well guess what... Just yesterday I tried my sigma 70-200 mm 2.8, II on a K1 with a pre release firmware and the camera totally blacked out!! Not only didn't the AF work, but everything on the camera froze, you couldn't even turn it off or on!!! Thankfully the lens worked ok when I put it back on my K5II. As the sales person told me this was probably the result of the not final firmware!! Hope they will fix this
Where was that store ?
Did you have the chance to try it (K-1) with the new Pentax 70-200 as well ?

---------- Post added 04-02-16 at 03:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I love this lens, and am curious whether I might expect autofocus compatibility issues with this lens and the K-1...

Taken with my K-3:
Hopefully, it will (and should) and that is a fine image of this puppy you have here.

04-02-2016, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
What's the autofocus like?

Thanks
The AF was ok, but not spectacular!! I think this has to do with with fact that the camera has not the final firmware version and that the screw driven AF mechanism of the 77 ltd has limitations... but that's only my opinion and I'm no expert.

---------- Post added 04-02-16 at 12:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Where was that store ?
Did you have the chance to try it (K-1) with the new Pentax 70-200 as well ?

---------- Post added 04-02-16 at 03:52 PM ----------

Hopefully, it will (and should) and that is a fine image of this puppy you have here.
This was the first K1 to arrive in Greece. A pre production model to serve as a demo...
04-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The AF was ok, but not spectacular!! I think this has to do with with fact that the camera has not the final firmware version and that the screw driven AF mechanism of the 77 ltd has limitations... but that's only my opinion and I'm no expert.

---------- Post added 04-02-16 at 12:56 PM ----------

This was the first K1 to arrive in Greece. A pre production model to serve as a demo...
Thanks. Yeah, it's screw drive the 77 Ltd. Hopefully for critical lenses like the D-FA 70-200/2.8 it'll be much faster.
04-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem is that Sigma doesn't pay the licensing fee to be sure that the lens will work with future bodies. Sigma reverse engineers their lenses. Generally you can send the lens to Sigma and they will do the upgrade. Tamron pays the licensing fee so their lenses almost always work.

04-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can expect that every lens that will AF on a K20D/K7/K50/K5/K3/K-whatever will AF on a K1.

If there's a FW-related bug with a particular K-mount lens it will be addressed.

The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 will be smart and fun choices for the K1.
04-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #21
Banned

Well guess what... Just yesterday I tried my sigma 70-200 mm 2.8, II on a K1 with a pre release firmware and the camera totally blacked out!! Not only didn't the AF work, but everything on the camera froze, you couldn't even turn it off or on!!! Thankfully the lens worked ok when I put it back on my K5II. As the sales person told me this was probably the result of the not final firmware!! Hope they will fix this
Don't worry too much, brand new Pentax bodies could be quirkey but very reliable and compatible.
You should ask salesman to put another fresh battery. Next time bring one almost* fully loaded with you if your camera has the same type (D-LI90).
That's symptom is happening to me all the time with K5 and Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM II when battery is near empty.
Just open battery compartment without turning off the camera (because on/off switch is not working), reload fresh battery and you are good to go.
Last shoot will not be saved on memory card but camera will close shutter and all buttons and dials will be back to normal.

*almost - another bug in some cameras and firmware versions when battery is 100% full, less than 98% percent is just fine.

---------- Post added 04-03-16 at 08:59 AM ----------

Would you be so kind to tell me the address of that shop. I'm coming to Greece at the end of april and it will be nice to visit that store if it is somewhere around.
Based on your nick could be in Thessaloniki but if it is the only K1 sample should be somewhere in Athens. Thank you / ευχαριστώ

Last edited by banep; 04-03-2016 at 12:08 AM.
04-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Don't worry too much, brand new Pentax bodies could be quirkey but very reliable and compatible.
You should ask salesman to put another fresh battery. Next time bring one almost* fully loaded with you if your camera has the same type (D-LI90).
That's symptom is happening to me all the time with K5 and Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM II when battery is near empty.
Just open battery compartment without turning off the camera (because on/off switch is not working), reload fresh battery and you are good to go.
Last shoot will not be saved on memory card but camera will close shutter and all buttons and dials will be back to normal.

*almost - another bug in some cameras and firmware versions when battery is 100% full, less than 98% percent is just fine.

---------- Post added 04-03-16 at 08:59 AM ----------

Would you be so kind to tell me the address of that shop. I'm coming to Greece at the end of april and it will be nice to visit that store if it is somewhere around.
Based on your nick could be in Thessaloniki but if it is the only K1 sample should be somewhere in Athens. Thank you / ευχαριστώ
The shop is the official Ricoh representative in Greece. It's called e-Galaxy and it's address is Alimou avenue 127, Argirupolis. That's a suburp in the southeast of Athens, about 10 km from city center.

05-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tossed my Sigma 70-200 HSM II on my K-1 and it works fine, for the most part. Exposure looks like it could be all messed up but I only tried it one spot and wasn't having trouble there anyway (white surfaces). Will post more when I see what's up.
05-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #24

So guess what! My Sigma 70-200 II does not work with the K-1. Same problem as earlier comment: the camera freeze, can”t shut down, I have to remove the battery to open again. And this problem is only with Sigma 70-200 HSM II. Now I have to send Sigma lens to firmware update to solve the problem. I have the Sigma 70-200 from 2009 and worked very well with K10, K5 and K3II.
05-18-2016, 02:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Went to the camera store today with my Sigma 70-200 HSM II and tried the lens on a display K-1. To my relief, it mounted cleanly (no body scratch, about 2mm gap between rear of lens and K-1 body), and autofocus worked perfectly fine (AF-C, AF-S) in FF and crop mode. Happy dance!

After testing a few other of my lenses on the display K-1, I bought an un-opened box K-1 and took it home. On this 2nd K-1, the HSM II lens also: physically mounted cleanly on the camera; worked fine in AF-S, AF-C and LiveView focusing; crop/FF mode worked; and there no power problems. All good. After some casual testing, no AF adjust seems necessary either on the lens.

So out of the two K-1's I tested today, there were no problems at all with using the Sigma HSM II. There seems to be some variation in Sigma HSM II's lens firmware, I guess, causing some of the reported K-1 issues.

FWIW, my HSM II was bought new (on run-out) in Australia 3 or 4 years ago.
05-18-2016, 03:09 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Went to the camera store today with my Sigma 70-200 HSM II and tried the lens on a display K-1. To my relief, it mounted cleanly (no body scratch, about 2mm gap between rear of lens and K-1 body), and autofocus worked perfectly fine (AF-C, AF-S) in FF and crop mode. Happy dance!

After testing a few other of my lenses on the display K-1, I bought an un-opened box K-1 and took it home. On this 2nd K-1, the HSM II lens also: physically mounted cleanly on the camera; worked fine in AF-S, AF-C and LiveView focusing; crop/FF mode worked; and there no power problems. All good. After some casual testing, no AF adjust seems necessary either on the lens.

So out of the two K-1's I tested today, there were no problems at all with using the Sigma HSM II. There seems to be some variation in Sigma HSM II's lens firmware, I guess, causing some of the reported K-1 issues.

Congratulations! What is the exif id of your lens?
05-18-2016, 06:18 AM   #27
Banned

Please be so kind to send us lens type info from your exif data.

exiftool -n -LensType yourfile.jpg

That command should return just your lens type, something like this:
C:\>"exiftool(-k)" -n -LensType imgp2834.jpg
Lens Type : 8 255
-- press RETURN --

Serial number of your lens will be nice in addition (if a lens type is 8 255).
That lens becomes very unpredictable on K-1.
Could be a problem with some batches.

It will be also nice if other forum members send here their serial numbers, exif lens type, is it serviced and status (working/not working on K-1) of their copy of Sigma 70-200 HSM II Macro if Rawr's lens type is 8 255.

05-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Please be so kind to send us lens type info from your exif data.
EXIFTOOL v10.14 (what I have on this PC) just straight up reports the lens as:

Lens ID: Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II

Running:
"exiftool(-k)" -n -LensType K1IM0063.jpg
shows:

Lens Type: 8 16

Lens serial number is 11581863.
05-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #29

Thanks, good to know. As far as I have seen it seems 70-200 hsm II with lens type 8 255 makes the k1 freeze and others dont.
05-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #30
Banned

EXIFTOOL v10.14 (what I have on this PC) just straight up reports the lens as:

Lens ID: Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II

Running:
"exiftool(-k)" -n -LensType K1IM0063.jpg
shows:

Lens Type: 8 16

Lens serial number is 11581863.
Thank you, I expected that.
It is consistent 8 16 works on K-1 and 8 255 don't.
Difference between 8 16 and 8 255 is probably only in firmware.
So that problem could be fixed with a little help of Sigma.