Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
The nerve! Hopefully that's just because of your beer goggles hahaha....

Already browsed through your 'outdoors' photos.. They look great! Now off to play with them in my editor.. TFS!
Sadly not. I've pointed a K-3 at a pint glass in this pub on quite a few occasions (It's not a good pub, it's just a pub that's handy when the train home after work has been cancelled).

Taking a shot on the K-3 in these conditions is simple. Point at pint glass, shoot, it's in focus.

The K-1 though cant cope in this very same situation. It either locks infront, or behind the rim of the glass, never ON the rim of the glass.

In daylight though, huge improvement. It's slightly sad though. In low light the sensor kicks ass, but the autofocus doesn't seem to be as accurate as the K-3. Combine the two, you'd have a winner.

I will add the caveat - I've only just got hold of it, my opinions may change once I get to play with it fully!

04-28-2016, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
It either locks infront, or behind the rim of the glass, never ON the rim of the glass.
Sure we're not talking about your mouth thanks to a few too many? Ok enough with my bad jokes...

Maybe an AF fine adjustment is needed for the particular lens? Just some more hopeful thinking...

Here's your first FA31 (at f1.8) shot with a quick step through rawtherapee and gimp...
04-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Sure we're not talking about your mouth thanks to a few too many? Ok enough with my bad jokes...

Maybe an AF fine adjustment is needed for the particular lens? Just some more hopeful thinking...

Here's your first FA31 (at f1.8) shot with a quick step through rawtherapee and gimp...
Nice RAW work there!

Yeah, it would be nice to think its just a focus adjustment that's needed, but it isn't The focus in daylight with both the FA77 and FA31, it nails it, everytime.
In not unreasonably low light, it just fails.
It feels like the K-5 all over again.

I'd planned to simply replace my K-3 with the K-1, but now I'm thinking that actually they are a complimentary pair.

I'm ashamed to say this, but I think the K-3 is probably a better camera all round (*I reserve my right to reverse my opinion tomorrow, after mounting the DA*300 and DFA-100 WR)

That K-3 is a perfection in APS-C design, The K-1 kicks the heck out of it in most areas, but not in all.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-28-2016 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Edited for inappropriate language.
04-28-2016, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #64

Just got the UPS tracking from SRS for my K1, 15-30 lens and extra battery.. 12 years singe my last SLR purchase so it's going to be hard to do any work in the office tomorrow when it arrives... Bye bye Canon 10D and hello Pentax...

04-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #65
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ukspeedtraps Quote
Just got the UPS tracking from SRS for my K1, 15-30 lens and extra battery.. 12 years singe my last SLR purchase so it's going to be hard to do any work in the office tomorrow when it arrives... Bye bye Canon 10D and hello Pentax...
That's one hell of an upgrade, welcome to the digital age.......and Pentax.
04-28-2016, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Barso Quote
That's one hell of an upgrade, welcome to the digital age.......and Pentax.
Cheers, the 10D is digital and was great at the time, however most of my work has been on video for the last few years but I now want to get back into stills.

I was marched to the Pentax stand at a recent show I was working at and told to look at the K1. After that Canon and Nikon didn't stand a chance..

04-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Alright, I've changed my mind. As soon as the sun goes down, and there are no pints infront of you, the K-1 + FA77 is an amazing combo. In bright sunshine though, the FA limiteds are starting to show their age. Lots of purple/green fringing, and highlights are frequently blown. I didn't think the FA limiteds could be beaten, but i'm now waiting for the HD versions to be released. :/
04-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #68
Forum Member

Cheers, the 10D is digital and was great at the time, however most of my work has been on video for the last few years but I now want to get back into stills.

I was marched to the Pentax stand at a recent show I was working at and told to look at the K1. After that Canon and Nikon didn't stand a chance..

The welcome to digital was meant tongue in cheek as you are coming from a 13yr old 6mp camera to this modern day 36mp beast......

04-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by Barso Quote
The welcome to digital was meant tongue in cheek as you are coming from a 13yr old 6mp camera to this modern day 36mp beast......
Going to be a struggle to know what to do with the extra 30mp
04-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm ashamed to say this, but I think the K-3 is probably a better camera all round (*I reserve my right to reverse my opinion tomorrow, after mounting the DA*300 and DFA-100 WR)

That K-3 is a perfection in APS-C design, The K-1 kicks the heck out of it in most areas, but not in all.
Firmware updates may make up the ground too eventually...

Lots of purple/green fringing
I did notice the CA/fringing on the FA31 at 1.8 shot, but wasn't too bad imo... Can be treated but yes, there will be a market for HD if/when they go for it...
04-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

Alright, I've changed my mind. As soon as the sun goes down, and there are no pints infront of you, the K-1 + FA77 is an amazing combo.
Glad to hear it, and not at all surprised
04-28-2016, 01:56 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Going to be a struggle to know what to do with the extra 30mp
Give it to me. I'd quite like a 66mp k-1.

---------- Post added 04-28-16 at 10:01 PM ----------

Firmware updates may make up the ground too eventually...

I did notice the CA/fringing on the FA31 at 1.8 shot, but wasn't too bad imo... Can be treated but yes, there will be a market for HD if/when they go for it...
Yeah, but I didn't upload the worst of them. Treatable yes, but it has made me start looking at the 15-30 and 24-70.

On a positive note though, the D-FA 100 WR is actually focussable at macro distances without constant back-and-forth hunting. The FA43 is also a surprise. Possibly the best of the FA limiteds on the K-1 (caveat: with my limited, limited testing)

---------- Post added 04-28-16 at 10:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Glad to hear it, and not at all surprised
I do think it might now be the time where the princesses actually need an update. It's not like the old lenses are suddenly bad, but their sparkly operating window is a little wider on the k-3 imho (possibly because no one has seen the digital edges on FF yet!). I won't be trading them in anytime soon, but if an update appears I would consider it...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-28-2016 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language
04-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

I do think it might now be the time where the princesses actually need an update. It's not like the old lenses are suddenly bad, but their sparkly operating window is a little wider on the k-3 imho (possibly because no one has seen the digital edges on FF yet!). I won't be trading them in anytime soon, but if an update appears I would consider it...
Yeah, I'm not completely surprised to hear that either... and I'd guess Ricoh either has updated versions in the pipeline, or will plan to as a result of feedback like this. The K-1 community will aggressively use the very best lenses out there - such as "the princesses" - and I suspect any shortcomings will be closely monitored. Ricoh will want it's foray into FF to be as successful as possible, and that will depend on the glass as much as the camera.

Even with the slight weaknesses you've found, I'm sure the existing lenses will still be used to great effect
04-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #74
Pentaxian

The final link to what I was trying to upload earlier: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=134AB9579492627D!697&authkey=!ANYHZcav...hint=folder%2c
Enjoy those hi-iso pints!
04-28-2016, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #75

I decided to edit one of the pictures and it's such a joy to post-process. LR is not so bad time-wise with the RAW
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo