Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I got my K-1 today and quickly understood that my K-3 quick release plate won't be compatible...
Quick Release Plates - Pentax - K3 - Acratech

Have you guys found another one, which would fit?

05-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just found out the same thing, but it was expected. I found a fotopro PL-60 in the parts drawer that has a lip and actually works OK. I'll need an official one with strap lug eventually but this works for now.
05-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #18
Forum Member

I suggest that you contract Customer Service at Really Right Stuff by email or phone and ask if they have a plain plate that you could use with the K1. They won't have an L bracket for the K1 for several months. The advantage of the L plate is that you can switch the camera from horizontal to vertical without having to refocus. More than likely it will probably cost, when it is finally released, about $160 or so. My L bracket on my K5 has never failed me and I use it with the quick release clamp on the ball head.

Jay
05-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jake21209 Quote
I suggest that you contract Customer Service at Really Right Stuff by email or phone and ask if they have a plain plate that you could use with the K1.
RRS does have a plate for the K-1 to be shipped mid-May. Unfortunately it does not have a strap lug, instead they provided a connection point for their own strap. So the RRS is out for me.

---------- Post added 05-14-16 at 08:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I bought this one for my K-3 and it will move to the K-1 when it arrives. It's a bit pricey for what it is, but I don't regret it. http://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-Photography-Arca-Type-Quick-Release/dp/B014TPGJH4
Todd have you tried this plate on the k-1 yet? Can you confirm that it works?

05-14-2016, 11:18 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Todd have you tried this plate on the k-1 yet? Can you confirm that it works?
Yes it's perfect. I did take the edge piece off to make more room to lift the tilty screen... Hasn't been off the camera since I got it..

05-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I heard back from my email to Kirk Enterprises and they say they will have a custom plate for the K-1 in a few weeks. No indication if it will have a strap lug.

In the meantime I got the Breakthrough Photography plate recommended by @Todd. I was a little concerned by his comment that it was expensive but I was surprised that the cost is actually (IMHO) quite low compared to custom plates.

Anyway I took off the lip as @Todd shows above so I could get the strap lug on the left as I need, but then decided to try the plate with the lip to the front. This does actually work and there is no interference with the screen this way. I did put a layer of gaffers tape on the lip to keep it from scratching the camera body, but I do that on all my plates anyway.

Probably not as nice as a custom plate designed for the k-1 but it works just fine for me.
05-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

expensive
haha I should have qualified that I'm generally a cheapskate for this kind of stuff (thus all the optech gear)...

then decided to try the plate with the lip to the front.
I'm curious about your setup now... Are you sling strapping over the right shoulder or left? I have the loop holes on the grip side with the strap going over my left shoulder so I can grab the camera grip with my right hand and shoot with the right hand.. I also like that the attached lens faces behind me as well when slinging (seemingly safer for when I bump into stuff)... If I had the loop connectors on the other side of the camera as you seem to have, then the camera grip is on the bottom side.... What am i missing?

05-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Left shoulder but otherwise backwards from the way you do it. I don't like having the strap cross over the grip side of the camera. Also with the op/tech you can remove the strap and connect the camera quick releases together and make a functional hand grip, which I prefer on the left side. Your way might be better though. I never thought of putting both strap connectors on the same lug. I have one on the plate lug and the other on the camera strap lug. My camera grip hangs down and having it up as you do sounds like a better plan.

05-16-2016, 10:35 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Left shoulder but otherwise backwards from the way you do it. I don't like having the strap cross over the grip side of the camera. Also with the op/tech you can remove the strap and connect the camera quick releases together and make a functional hand grip, which I prefer on the left side. Your way might be better though. I never thought of putting both strap connectors on the same lug. I have one on the plate lug and the other on the camera strap lug. My camera grip hangs down and having it up as you do sounds like a better plan.
I am used to having the strap cross the grip side, since I've had it that way for years...I only have the two connectors on the quick plate lug as of late because I have extra connectors so I've been experimenting with keeping a hand strap going to the other camera strap lug (on the left side)... Usually I just have the quick plate and right camera strap lug connected to sling strap...

I don't think having two connectors on the quick plate would work for me to use with the sling strap (without one going to the lug), especially with the heavier K1 because it would swing around too much... Having quick plate and camera strap lug connected seems to reduce movement a bit while walking...

I have been mulling around the idea of getting a Capture Pro clip to use in addition to the sling strap for times when I want to also be able to have the camera more fastened down... Not sure if I'll go for it but has been on my wishlist for a while... http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Design-Capture-Camera-Plate/dp/B00GQSYCOA/
03-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi peeps!

New K-1 owner here, and i'm researching a new tripod for the K-1, and came across L plates etc. I noticed that since this thread was on topic I would just bump this one here instead of creating a new one. The Really Right Stuff now make a L plate for the K-1 (RRS - Plates for Pentax K-1) tho at $120 it's pretty pricey. Just wondering how people are getting on with their $15 amazon ones linked above, and whether anyone upgraded to the L plate, or if another manufacturer is making an L plate for the K-1 cheaper?

Cheers,

Bruce
03-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm still using the https://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-Photography-Arca-Type-Quick-Release/dp/B...ntaxforums-20& Breakthrough Photography one. Has never been off the K-1 and works perfectly.

I don't use L plates, no need for them for my work generally. And if I do I just rotate the tripod head, or the lens if I'm using a telephoto.
03-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Go to BH and order RRS plate today. BH keeps larger stock than most manufacturers.
03-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm still using the https://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-Photography-Arca-Type-Quick-Release/dp/B...ntaxforums-20& Breakthrough Photography one. Has never been off the K-1 and works perfectly.

I don't use L plates, no need for them for my work generally. And if I do I just rotate the tripod head, or the lens if I'm using a telephoto.
Wow! 4.5"x4.5"!!

That is a big plate!

Edit: Do you think they meant centimeters?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-22-2017 at 01:38 PM.
03-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom, that I plan to use with my K-1. I do some table top photography, and I know from using the K-50 it doesn't go too well when rotating the camera for portrait work, it can't balance to great in that regard. An L Plate would really be helpful to keep the centre of balance when using that tripod.

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Go to BH and order RRS plate today. BH keeps larger stock than most manufacturers.
I've had a look, and yes there is heaps of choice and parts but man oh man that stuff is premium, both in price and build I'm sure.
After spending the money on the K-1 I wouldn't mind cutting costs back where I can in amassing the rest of the few bits and bobs I need, and RRS seems top of the line, was wondering if in certain respects I can look for cheaper parts elsewhere to do the job. I mean... $120 for a L shaped piece of metal!?

Would something like this suffice? Universal MPU100 Quick Release L Plate Bracket for Camera Benro Arca Swiss OZ | eBay
03-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
An L Plate would really be helpful
I took a quick look and noticed some $10 universal L plates... Why not try one or two and if need be return them before shelling out for the really right $tuff?

amazon.com : Fotasy LPM Universal L Quick Release Plate Bracket for Arca Swiss Type Tripod Ball Head with Premier Cleaning Cloth (Black) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I still use the same plate as jatrax above and it's still the right stuff for me.

Oh and just noticed that I posted in this thread about maybe getting the PD Capture pro clip. I ended up getting a $20 copycat version of it and it works just fine.. I don't use it a ton though (so glad I didn't spring for the expensive PD version)...

Oh and I lost my op tech sling strap last year! Still have no idea how.. So I got an expensive PD slide strap and long story short I am missing my op tech strap like crazy! Going to buy another one as the slide strap just doesn't really suit me compared to the op tech...

Last edited by todd; 03-22-2017 at 05:02 PM.