Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Arca-Swiss Plate for the K-1?

Probably getting ahead of myself but has anyone seen tripod plates for the K-1 yet?

I've used a Markins PG-34N on the k-5 and k-3 series with good results. The lip holds the camera locked in well. But no idea if the same plate will work on the new K-1 body.

Suggestions welcomed, hoping we do not have to wait months for a plate to fit.

04-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be looking at Really Right Stuff for things like that, but I doubt they'd be selling anything yet
04-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I use a Sirui TY50 with my K-3II and K-20X (Sirui) tripod. There is also a TY60 Sirui. Supposedly they are universal plates.
04-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter

At first I didn't get the question, but after having seen the anti twist security I understand. The adjustment seems to go a long way to adopt any size of body though.

04-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
The adjustment seems to go a long way to adopt any size of body though.
As long as the lip shape remains the same. I'm also concerned about the flippy screen. Not sure whether that will have an impact or not.
04-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought this one for my K-3 and it will move to the K-1 when it arrives. It's a bit pricey for what it is, but I don't regret it.

http://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-Photography-Arca-Type-Quick-Release/dp/B014TPGJH4
04-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a "universal" QR plate that has a rear lip to prevent twisting and an elongate slot for the mounting screw so it will fit any camera body. SunwayFoto makes a nice one for $20. RRS makes one that costs $50 (how complex is such a device? -How much better can this one be?). Mine has a bi-directional dovetail on the bottom, but this style seems to have been discontinued.

04-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish camera manufacturers would agree on a standard for mounting accessories with clearly defined anti-twist detents (like many Canon bodies)

Michael
04-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I wish camera manufacturers would agree on a standard for mounting accessories with clearly defined anti-twist detents (like many Canon bodies)
For Pentax the same plate has worked (for me) from k-7 through k-3II. I have the same plate on all my bodies and on my wife's as well. But the K-1 concerns me as it does have some design differences. Maybe my Markins plate will work just fine and I'm worried about nothing.

The plate I use also secures the sling strap I use so if it doesn't work I might need to not only replace the plate but the strap as well. It also has the bi-directional Arca-Swiss dovetail which I have found useful on occasion.

04-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The thing I like most about mine (aside from it also have the slot for my sling strap), is that it is shaped rectangular rather than the more typical square arca plate shape that I've seen, so that even with bigger/longer telephoto lenses attached, I can set the camera down places, on my desk for example, and the camera stays balanced on the plate. Can't do this with the more square shaped arca plates I have..
04-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote

Michael
I have been complaining for years if not decades about the simple solution of a video pin. A little spring-mounted pin on many tripod heads and some quick-release plates. All that's needed is a tiny hole in the baseplate of cameras just in front of the tripod screw hole. 100% reliably twist-proof, incredibly minor change in camera design. My 200mm SMCA macro has holes in the tripod mount that are just large enough to accommodate a video pin. TOTALLY TWIST PROOF!
04-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really good stuff

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Probably getting ahead of myself but has anyone seen tripod plates for the K-1 yet?

I've used a Markins PG-34N on the k-5 and k-3 series with good results. The lip holds the camera locked in well. But no idea if the same plate will work on the new K-1 body.

I will check that out as Markins produces some really quality stuff, even if it is a little pricey.
04-07-2016, 02:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

Purely for my own interest, in what circumstances do people need such secure Arca-Swiss plates on cameras?

I've used Arca-Swiss plates on bigger lenses for years. (Including Sigma 500mm f/4.5; DA* 300mm; DA* 60-250mm; and recently D FA 150-450mm and D FA* 70-200mm). And where possible I use two screws to avoid twisting.

But I've been able to use smaller Arca-Swiss plates and Manfrotto plates without a security lip satisfactorily on cameras with smaller lenses.
04-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
satisfactorily on cameras with smaller lenses.
I suppose that is the key. I found the DA*60-250 quite easily twists the plate when on the tripod in a portrait configuration. I've not done any real tests, I had a problem so I bought the Markins and have used it ever since. I have three of them now, one for each body and they have moved from camera to camera starting on the k-5. I'll be quite happy to re-use it on the K-1. Not looking forward to researching and buying a new plate.

---------- Post added 04-07-16 at 07:55 AM ----------

I should add that that is with the camera mounted on the tripod not the lens foot. And yes I could have used the lens foot and probably should but it was not on the lens that day.
04-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I can see why you are concerned with the screen. I have no experience with this plate and therefor no knowledge of how big the flanges are, but would it be possible to have them to the front of the camera under the lens??