Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I took a quick look and noticed some $10 universal L plates... Why not try one or two and if need be return them before shelling out for the really right $tuff?

amazon.com : Fotasy LPM Universal L Quick Release Plate Bracket for Arca Swiss Type Tripod Ball Head with Premier Cleaning Cloth (Black) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I still use the same plate as jatrax above and it's still the right stuff for me.

Oh and just noticed that I posted in this thread about maybe getting the PD Capture pro clip. I ended up getting a $20 copycat version of it and it works just fine.. I don't use it a ton though (so glad I didn't spring for the expensive PD version)...

Oh and I lost my op tech sling strap last year! Still have no idea how.. So I got an expensive PD slide strap and long story short I am missing my op tech strap like crazy! Going to buy another one as the slide strap just doesn't really suit me compared to the op tech...
That particular link won't ship to oz, but there are other places to get that exact plate, and at that price I'm thinking it's worth a gamble.

There just seems to be no middle ground, either you pay $120 for RRS or $10 for something that might be naff. I realize that the RRS has a antitwist mechanism, it seems to be really catered for the K-1 unlike the other universal ones...

---------- Post added 03-24-17 at 06:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote

Oh and just noticed that I posted in this thread about maybe getting the PD Capture pro clip. I ended up getting a $20 copycat version of it and it works just fine.. I don't use it a ton though (so glad I didn't spring for the expensive PD version)...

Oh and I lost my op tech sling strap last year! Still have no idea how.. So I got an expensive PD slide strap and long story short I am missing my op tech strap like crazy! Going to buy another one as the slide strap just doesn't really suit me compared to the op tech...
I took a look at that slide strap, interesting. I do a few bush walks, and I never felt comfortable having the camera dangling around the neck bouncing off the chest, or over shoulder, or slightly behind the back (where I have less of a clue/idea where it and the lens are really sticking out, and anxious it would hit a bystander/tree/rock etc). I have one of those single sling backpacks that comes across the body diagonal, it might work out really well for me, something to consider anyway. If I went that route I'd definitely want a single wrist strap for security tho (when peering over ledges/cliffs and what not), I've no idea about wrist straps tho...

PS I ended up getting a $13AUD MPU 100 universal L plate, should come mid next week, will see how it goes on the K-1.

03-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
single sling backpacks
I scored a single shoulder sling really cheap/used last year (Lowepro... $20) and like it, but the problem if I'm wearing it for more than a short while is it gives me lower back troubles (which I have plenty of without adding more fuel to the fire...). I think it would be great for a small lightweight camera/pack and/or short outings etc so I keep it around for such scenarios, but with the K1 and a few lenses I've learned it's definitely a no go for me.. I felt the difference almost immediately when I went back to my regular backpack...

I do like the PD slide strap. It does have a better style to it, appearance wise. For me where it shines is when I don't have a backpack with me... If I am just toting around camera and no bag, then all is peachy with the slide strap, and I like its extra degee of adjustability... If I am wearing it along with the backpack though, then I feel like i never get fully comfortable with it. It rides my shoulder wrong, it doesn't slide as well, etc.. (I also feel like it doesn't connect/disconnect as quickly and easily as the op tech connectors...) This is where I never had a problem with the op tech sling strap... So easy solution, I must have both for both scenarios!

I hope the univeral plate works out for you! I always cringe at the really high prices of the RRS...
03-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #33
Forum Member

my choice for Gitzo GK1545T:

Genesis PLA-60 do?ti?ka Arca-Swiss | MINI-MAX
03-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi peeps!

New K-1 owner here, and i'm researching a new tripod for the K-1, and came across L plates etc. I noticed that since this thread was on topic I would just bump this one here instead of creating a new one. The Really Right Stuff now make a L plate for the K-1 (RRS - Plates for Pentax K-1) tho at $120 it's pretty pricey. Just wondering how people are getting on with their $15 amazon ones linked above, and whether anyone upgraded to the L plate, or if another manufacturer is making an L plate for the K-1 cheaper?

Cheers,

Bruce
Kirk also has L-plates for the K-1.

Nobody I have found has simple or L-bracket plates for the K-1 with grip attached. I have Generic versions that I can make do but nothing custom fit for the K-1+Grip like RSS and Kirk do for the body.

03-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you know about advantages/disadvantages of the available l-plates for the K-1?
Markins PP-K1 + LP-K1 ($145)
RRS BK1 ($120)
Kirk BL-K1N ($115)
Genesis PLL-K1 ($43)

Last edited by angerdan; 11-09-2017 at 05:55 AM.
03-28-2017, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That particular link won't ship to oz, but there are other places to get that exact plate, and at that price I'm thinking it's worth a gamble.
I've got that exact plate on the K-1. I had to cut one of the knobs on the end off, cut the strap holder between them off, and grind the inside corner of the other knob down in order to get the battery door to open with the L-bracket on.

It was about 45 minutes of work with a dremel, including taking a metal file to it and smoothing all the work out and de-burring it.

Definitely worth the savings, I don't care about how ugly it looks. I can't believe I used a camera as long as I did without an L-bracket. It's great.
03-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well my cheap $13 MPU-100 L Plate arrived yesterday and I had a go just now trying to affix it to the K-1.

It weighs 94g, once on it will not allow for the opening of the HDMI/PC/USB rubber compartment. In actual fact, when aligning the L plate up nice and flush/straight/parallel to the body of the K-1 there are a few things going (that the picture below helps explain);

Where I have circled Blue, this part actually sits directly on the raised groove (where you dig your nail in to lift) of the rubber compartment to the HDMI/USB/PC place. What this means is that the part of the plate I've circled red actually doesn't make any contact with the K-1 at all, there is about 3-5mm gap. I could possible pad that gap out with some sticky foam or something so that both sides actually make contact with the K-1's side.

Steering the whole plate diagonally (so that it's not flush with the K-1's body) so that it's 'squinty' can be a workaround maybe but it's triggering my OCD like hell!

There is a kinda good point to all this, because of the blue area of the bracket that actually makes contact with that raised rubber opening of the HDMI compartment, it means it won't scratch the K-1's body! As you can see from the picture there are rubber protectors for the base of the K-1, to help protect and give grip, but nothing on the other side. If i also buff up that red circled edge side (with something rubbery or soft) then when everything is flush and looking hunky dory the left side of the K-1 should remain scratch free.

The black dashed line circling that whole part of that section of the bracket is my way of saying this whole segment would need to shift down 'thatta way' in order for the compartment to be accessible (which I think if u study RRS and Kirk's version is what happens).

Once the thing was tightened it actually felt very sturdy and did not give the impression it would 'slip' out of position.

Clearly I am going to have to mod this plate slighty, so that all edges make soft but rubbery grip to the K-1. I am not that fussed about not gaining access to those HDMI/PC/USB compartments, ejecting the cards and changing the battery is all that matters.

EDIT: I actually didn't check the battery compartment, I now just have, and as it stands you can't get the battery door open fully as is. A simple workaround to this will be to pad both the blue and red sections a tad (3-5mm) and the whole L plate shifts further along and the battery compartment should be good for opening and closing.

Please note, I don't even own an Arca-swiss tripod yet lol, I'm still looking into that :|

On the whole I'm ok with spending $13, a little 5min DIY to solve this issue vs $150AUD+ for a complete solution, YMMV.

---------- Post added 03-29-17 at 10:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
I've got that exact plate on the K-1. I had to cut one of the knobs on the end off, cut the strap holder between them off, and grind the inside corner of the other knob down in order to get the battery door to open with the L-bracket on.

It was about 45 minutes of work with a dremel, including taking a metal file to it and smoothing all the work out and de-burring it.

Definitely worth the savings, I don't care about how ugly it looks. I can't believe I used a camera as long as I did without an L-bracket. It's great.
A picture is worth a thousand words lol, could u snap a pic of what you did please?

03-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #38

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Probably getting ahead of myself but has anyone seen tripod plates for the K-1 yet?

I've used a Markins PG-34N on the k-5 and k-3 series with good results. The lip holds the camera locked in well. But no idea if the same plate will work on the new K-1 body.

Suggestions welcomed, hoping we do not have to wait months for a plate to fit.
I have this plate, previously on my K-3, on my K-1. It does fit. The lip on the plate does slightly get in the way of the display but it works fine as long as I don't try to pull the display out bottom first or put it back bottom last.
03-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
I have this plate, previously on my K-3, on my K-1. It does fit. The lip on the plate does slightly get in the way of the display but it works fine as long as I don't try to pull the display out bottom first or put it back bottom last.
Thanks for the information. As noted later in this thread I found a much better plate from Breakthrough Technology that not only fits better but costs only $15. I've been using it for almost a year now.

See here: https://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-Photography-Arca-Type-Quick-Release/dp/B...ntaxforums-20&
These folks also make great ND and CPL filters.
03-28-2017, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A picture is worth a thousand words lol, could u snap a pic of what you did please?
Yes, but efficiency, efficiency, efficiency! Why say in a zillion words what you can say in a single breath? So 41 words is worth 4.1% of a photo... I rounded down.

Kidding. Here are some photos. Note that I added a strip from an adhesive corkboard roll to the contact area on the plate I use. Personal preference that I've found keeps everything still in less-than-ideal support conditions.

Stock bracket (left) next to my K-1 bracket (right)

Orthographic view comparing the two

Mounted on camera, battery door closed

Mounted on camera, battery door in the process of opening. "Opened all the way" is an obstructing picture of how it interacts.

Sure I lopped off too much of mine, but I don't really care about looks anymore. My shutter count's already at 41,000, most of that being either rugged outdoors work or long-duration timelapses.
03-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, but efficiency, efficiency, efficiency! Why say in a zillion words what you can say in a single breath? So 41 words is worth 4.1% of a photo... I rounded down.

Kidding. Here are some photos. Note that I added a strip from an adhesive corkboard roll to the contact area on the plate I use. Personal preference that I've found keeps everything still in less-than-ideal support conditions.

Stock bracket (left) next to my K-1 bracket (right)

Orthographic view comparing the two

Mounted on camera, battery door closed

Mounted on camera, battery door in the process of opening. "Opened all the way" is an obstructing picture of how it interacts.

Sure I lopped off too much of mine, but I don't really care about looks anymore. My shutter count's already at 41,000, most of that being either rugged outdoors work or long-duration timelapses.
My gawd! You butchered it! You Savage! hehehe

I'll post pics of mine once I try and go down the less evasive route lol
04-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's what I did. I attached two rubber things I had lying around, I believe they're from Ikea, a wall mount curtain rod system I had left over; BETYDLIG Wall/ceiling bracket - white, - IKEA They come with a rubber insert to pad out the place a thinner rod might go, I never used mine so had some left over.

Here's how it looks with the camera off;

As this has padded the L Plate away from the edge I can now access the Battery Compartment (even with strap in use on the L Plate);

And one final shot of how it kinda looks;

04-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's what I did. I attached two rubber things I had lying around, I believe they're from Ikea, a wall mount curtain rod system I had left over; BETYDLIG Wall/ceiling bracket - white, - IKEA They come with a rubber insert to pad out the place a thinner rod might go, I never used mine so had some left over.
Well that is a far, far, far more elegant solution than what I went with. Plus you maintain strap functionality.

I'm from Texas though, so you know my first instinct was to try to shoot the ends of the L-bracket off (before I resorted to the rotary saw).

Well done by you for innovating, and thanks for the link to Ikea. This may become the preferred solution to not paying $xxx for a K-1 specific L-bracket.
04-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well that is a far, far, far more elegant solution than what I went with. Plus you maintain strap functionality.

I'm from Texas though, so you know my first instinct was to try to shoot the ends of the L-bracket off (before I resorted to the rotary saw).

Well done by you for innovating, and thanks for the link to Ikea. This may become the preferred solution to not paying $xxx for a K-1 specific L-bracket.

My OCD is slightly triggered by the grey instead of black, but I believe Ikea sell black ones, might pick up a pair next time I'm there
04-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
MPU-100 L
How has your L plate (plus your genius Ikea mod) been holding up? I like my Breakthrough plate but have been thinking of late that I might go for one of these L bracket plates, especially as they can be purchased for $5 US on ebay...