Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
How has your L plate (plus your genius Ikea mod) been holding up? I like my Breakthrough plate but have been thinking of late that I might go for one of these L bracket plates, especially as they can be purchased for $5 US on ebay...
Hi! Yeah the plate and ikea hack is working just fine. I haven't had the L Plate off since adding to it a few weeks ago, and since then I have used with my tripod plenty of times in portrait and landscape fitting. The L Plate seems very secure, no sliding around, extremely firm, I haven't once had to retighten the screw on the bottom.

Like i said, next time i'm in ikea I might buy those brackets but in black just so things are colour uniformed and replace the grey. But really anything will work, it's just those rubber ikea bits are about the right thickness in padding to shift the plate along so that battery compartment can be accessed easily.

Of course my method also means not accessing the side HDMI/USB ports, but I haven't once needed to pry them open anyway, and I think IIRC that even the L Plates made especially for the K-1 still don't quite give a comfortable and easy access to the doors anyway (could be fiddly and problematic connecting and disconnecting cables etc), I wouldn't at all be surprised if someone with a genuine L Plate for the K-1 eventually resorts to taking it off after awhile as it's become annoyingly frustrating and trying to access those ports with the plate on (even tho u can)...

04-23-2017, 07:55 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
just fine
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the screw stays tight too was wondering... I did go ahead and get the same L plate (a seller from Malaysia for $4.97) last night... Will probably take a month to get here, giving me time to stop by Ikea and hunt down those brackets... Hopefully I don't get suckered into buying other stuff I don't need while at Ikea, thus nullifying my L Plate bargain haha...

I never go into the side panel for the ports so n/a for me there.. I had never given the L plate actual consideration until reading someone's recommendation yesterday in a blog article noting better balance on the tripod for the vertical shots etc, then the benefits of it finally dawned on me lol...

The only thing I will miss with the Breakthrough arca plate is the rectangular shape, thus having it attached horizontally going out towards the mounted lens giving the camera balance to be able to set down on the desk etc without the lens touching down... At least I can move it to my K3 so I can still enjoy it sometimes.
05-19-2017, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

next time i'm in ikea
My RRP L-Plate arrived yesterday from Malaysia, but I hadn't yet made it to Ikea... Found your black brackets online for only $1.49 each but they wanted $10 shipping, so that just wouldn't do. Ikea is far enough away that I went another direction, for now at least... I've resorted to RRP Felt Pads that I acquired at my corner dollar store. Cut out two rectangular chunks of the large pad and put them together then wrapped them in gorilla tape.. Could have done a better tape job but it'll do until I prove out that this solution will hold up... First tried two skinny pieces of felt pad to mimic what you've done but couldn't get them to pinch with even pressure from the plate, probably due to uneven tape jobs. So the one large piece works better, pinched between plate and camera with even pressure.

Last edited by todd; 05-19-2017 at 10:17 AM.
05-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My RRP L-Plate arrived yesterday from Malaysia, but I hadn't yet made it to Ikea... Found your black brackets online for only $1.49 each but they wanted $10 shipping, so that just wouldn't do. Ikea is far enough away that I went another direction, for now at least... I've resorted to RRP Felt Pads that I acquired at my corner dollar store. Cut out two rectangular chunks of the large pad and put them together then wrapped them in gorilla tape.. Could have done a better tape job but it'll do until I prove out that this solution will hold up... First tried two skinny pieces of felt pad to mimic what you've done but couldn't get them to pinch with even pressure from the plate, probably due to uneven tape jobs. So the one large piece works better, pinched between plate and camera with even pressure.

Nice job! Really anything will do, I simply glanced at those ikea thingies and though "hmm... I wonder..." hehe. I really would pay $30-40 for a genuine L Plate that fitted, but $150?! It's an insane mark up where I'd rather reserve those funds to go towards a new lens etc.

05-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really would pay $30-40 for a genuine L Plate that fitted,
I don't know, thinking $20-25 would be my limit, for what it is. I have noticed already that I'm using the protruding portion of the plate on the left as a hand grip now... It's actually pretty comfortable. I've already enjoyed the plate too for the tripod advantage and also table top shooting; Took the little metal stoppers/slip protectors off the plate, so now it can be set it in portrait orientation on an edge of a table or any ledge/flat surface to get level, stable shots. Something I couldn't do before and wasn't even thinking about until I got to messing with it.. Cool beans!
05-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #51
Pentaxian

On the whole I'm ok with spending $13, a little 5min DIY to solve this issue vs $150AUD+ for a complete solution, YMMV
I would spend the $150 on a real solution with all the given advanatges of fit and comfort.
I am not with you on going cheap and accepting everything that may not work. Your time account including all adjustments, pictures, posts took probably a little more than 5 mins in total.
05-28-2017, 12:25 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I would spend the $150 on a real solution with all the given advanatges of fit and comfort.
I am not with you on going cheap and accepting everything that may not work. Your time account including all adjustments, pictures, posts took probably a little more than 5 mins in total.
Then you my man are succeeding in life lol, I want your job heh.

It all comes down to earnings and budgets. I broke the bank getting the K-1, I will now have to save for months for new lenses etc, $150 for a plate is just too much at this point in time. Perhaps one day my finances will be different enough so that I won't batter an eyelid at spending $150 for a plate, but that time is not now.

PS I don't consider posting pictures and taking time to reply and talk about solutions as time wasted, I don't think to myself "the time I have spent talking and photographing this workaround... I might as well have bought a proper one!", personally I just like being part of a community. I need help, and where I can I like to try and help back, or at least give my 2 cents (even if it's a bad 2 cents).

Cheers,

Bruce

05-29-2017, 09:16 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I'm with you on this. I like to use a quality product with things I own.
05-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
I'm with you on this. I like to use a quality product with things I own.
Don't think that the universal plate is somehow lacking in quality, it grips the K-1 fine, is sturdy and performs to a high standard for what it was intended for. It's just due to the universal nature of the fit not all things are readily and easily accessible (without a slight mod and improvisation on the users part).
I think it's important to note that not for one minute would I consider using any product with my K-1 if the result would be damage or a risk of damage arising from using said accessory with the K-1. The K-1 to date is easily my most expensive 'gadgetry' purchase, I am massively over protective of it. I didn't for example skimp out on a flimsy cheap tripod for the camera, instead I paid the full $300 for a proper solution, sometimes there is no getting around these things, not if you don't want to avoid a potential accident.

I wouldn't mind one day getting my hands on a RRS L plate and seeing for myself how it performs, it may be lighter as well etc but I'm 38 yrs old, I've seen cases of goods, even expensive ones that don't always deliver the promise or expectations of that price, I wouldn't be surprised if the RRS plate for example is one of these products. It's 'gripping teeth' actually look like it might scuff/scratch the K-1, and I think I read somewhere that accessing the usb/hdmi ports is still a PIA despite them trying to work around that area etc...

Sorry for the ramble, I just simply wanted to highlight that I don't think the universal plate is severely lacking in quality
05-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not arguing that people can't do what they want with their money but over pricing things is a sales strategy. Apple products being the prime example. Peak Design is another company doing this with great success. they finally got me with their slide strap and I actually regret the purchase. still trying to get myself to like the thing bc I paid so much for it. but I still prefer my way cheaper op-tech sling strap system. I opted for a generic arca belt clip that was $20ish instead of the $60 or $80 for peak designs and no regrets there.
05-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Don't think that the universal plate is somehow lacking in quality, it grips the K-1 fine, is sturdy and performs to a high standard for what it was intended for. It's just due to the universal nature of the fit not all things are readily and easily accessible (without a slight mod and improvisation on the users part).
I think it's important to note that not for one minute would I consider using any product with my K-1 if the result would be damage or a risk of damage arising from using said accessory with the K-1. The K-1 to date is easily my most expensive 'gadgetry' purchase, I am massively over protective of it. I didn't for example skimp out on a flimsy cheap tripod for the camera, instead I paid the full $300 for a proper solution, sometimes there is no getting around these things, not if you don't want to avoid a potential accident.

I wouldn't mind one day getting my hands on a RRS L plate and seeing for myself how it performs, it may be lighter as well etc but I'm 38 yrs old, I've seen cases of goods, even expensive ones that don't always deliver the promise or expectations of that price, I wouldn't be surprised if the RRS plate for example is one of these products. It's 'gripping teeth' actually look like it might scuff/scratch the K-1, and I think I read somewhere that accessing the usb/hdmi ports is still a PIA despite them trying to work around that area etc...

Sorry for the ramble, I just simply wanted to highlight that I don't think the universal plate is severely lacking in quality
I went to a local machine shop to see if he could make a K-1/battery plate. Unfortunately, CNC work is beyond his scope, so he gave me a few numbers to call locally.

Last edited by tabl10s; 05-30-2017 at 07:01 PM.
05-31-2017, 11:33 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can this be correct? I just saw a post advertising the sale of a RR$ L-Plate for the K-1 and it apparently doesn't even have a way to attach strap connectors to it! I also checked the link in this thread and I don't see an opening on the plate.... Now that is just Really Wrong!
05-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can this be correct? I just saw a post advertising the sale of a RR$ L-Plate for the K-1 and it apparently doesn't even have a way to attach strap connectors to it! I also checked the link in this thread and I don't see an opening on the plate.... Now that is just Really Wrong!
Or... Really Really Wrong... lol.

I actually took my strap off the plate tho, I didn't like the way the K-1 orientated itself when hanging from the neck via that point. Even tho anchoring the strap to the top of the K-1 near the dials is more annoying it does at least hang properly when making lens changes, which for me is more important.
05-31-2017, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hanging from the neck
Well I'm sure to generate plenty more "Really Really Wrong" thoughts/opinions/comments, but hanging from the neck has never worked for me... Here's what works for me...

First with the Op Tech Sling strap:

Strap is over my left shoulder, camera hanging at my right side, lens facing behind me...

So I can quickly grab and shoot...

Extra Op-tech utility strap comes in handy sometimes...

And with the PD Slide strap:

Most often wear it the same as the optech, with strap over my left shoulder, so camera is still hanging at right side for quick access, lens facing behind me... An advantage of the PD Slide is to shorten the strap while walking and can move the camera all the way to my back side...

Access to the camera is admittedly a little cluttered getting through the connections, but I am used to it and it only occasionally causes minor frustration...

Thanks for the temporary distraction from work!

As I've stated above, overall I prefer the Op tech strap and would choose it over the PD Slide if I had to keep only one. it's more comfortable on the shoulder and works better when also wearing a camera backpack... So yeah, minor thread hijack here, but still related to the subject, which is that in my opinion, arca plates must have slots for connecting straps!
05-31-2017, 09:45 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I'm sure to generate plenty more "Really Really Wrong" thoughts/opinions/comments, but hanging from the neck has never worked for me... Here's what works for me...

First with the Op Tech Sling strap:

Strap is over my left shoulder, camera hanging at my right side, lens facing behind me...

So I can quickly grab and shoot...

Extra Op-tech utility strap comes in handy sometimes...

And with the PD Slide strap:

Most often wear it the same as the optech, with strap over my left shoulder, so camera is still hanging at right side for quick access, lens facing behind me... An advantage of the PD Slide is to shorten the strap while walking and can move the camera all the way to my back side...

Access to the camera is admittedly a little cluttered getting through the connections, but I am used to it and it only occasionally causes minor frustration...

Thanks for the temporary distraction from work!

As I've stated above, overall I prefer the Op tech strap and would choose it over the PD Slide if I had to keep only one. it's more comfortable on the shoulder and works better when also wearing a camera backpack... So yeah, minor thread hijack here, but still related to the subject, which is that in my opinion, arca plates must have slots for connecting straps!
Wow... my head hurt trying to fathom and work out all those straps and anchor points out lol.

Neck strap wise I have the deluxe Crumpler one, its comfy, and I have it extended pretty far down, so that when changing lens it's dangling pretty close to the belt and other lens pouches, and therefore I can also kinda wear the camera sling style when on the move.
Bush walks I'm happyish with the sling style bag and camera placements, I do feel as tho I want a better tripod solution, something like it strapped to my leg so i can quickly get access to it and not fight it off a bag etc lol.

When i eventually start 'working' (weddings etc) I'll likely try one of those vest strap things you see...