Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
Unregistered User

The wait for the dream machine.

For the past 7 weeks we have been waiting to get our hands on the new marvelous Pentax K-1. Dreaming of the excellent IQ and the perfect control layout and the great new features.

During this wait I have found myself taking less and less photos with my K-3, or with any of my cameras. Not a single shot with my Pentax 6x7. The wait has made me unwilling to take some photos. Today I forced my way out to take som images since there is a storm system moving past us. I have been waiting for this since it always passes this time a year. I took some great shots, or so I thought. Coming home they all look boring and technically bad. They will probably look better when I have lifted the curse of waiting.

The joy of photography seems to have dissapeared. Reading the forum, hoping that someone will shedd some light on the time of arrival.

I find myself writing posts and threads, theorising on every aspect of the K-1. New sample images are shown, new articles are written and tomorrow there will be a new part opened on the K-1 special site and I will be there to marvel.

I need the K-1 to arrive, even if it is the worst camera ever, just so that I can know what it is that I have been wating for sooooo long.

This weekend I will take my Pentax 6x7 to the capital and take two rolls, one BW and one in colour. Then I will develop and scan.

Hopefully the joy of photography will embrace me and the focus on the tech will leave me alone, if only for a little while.

Have a great weekend wherever you are!

Last edited by Unregistered User; 04-07-2016 at 02:17 PM.
04-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I read in the other thread you wrote: "the wait is unbearable". this is sooo true.

Today I filled up my b/w film on my K1000. I bought out of boredome some M-Lenses in the last weeks on ebay. This has to stop and the K-1 has to arrive here. Boy, waiting for christmas has never been that long and hard (as long as I remember).

I bought in a super deal the Tammy 28-75/2.8 ... unfortunately this has front and backfocusing issues. So I shot many many photos the last days, but these were stupid testshots to get the damn lens working on my K5II. I really hope the K-1 will talk straight to the Tamron and I have a good compagnion for the start with AF.
Anyways, this wait is infecting me with G.A.S. -- but not that problem, since I certainly dont have the money as some of you guys here to afford all this awesome glass
04-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

lolz... I am half asleep and I read your post as .......wet dream something.....
04-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's odd. . . Yesterday morning, on a whim, I jumped in the roadster and took a spin through the countryside -- springtime, wild flowers in bloom. Before I left I tossed in a camera bag with my Ricoh XR7, a few old favorite lenses, and some Ektar 100. I think I got some good shots. (I guess I'll know when the film comes back!)

What is it that's got us reaching for film cameras while we wait, I wonder?

04-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
.......wet dream .....
36Mp, IBIS, pixel shift ... it kind of is the camera equivalent of Adriana Lima. ☺
04-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I am sure its the FULLFRAME
(I love the viewfinder of my K1000 and the ME or the P30)
04-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
That's odd. . . Yesterday morning, on a whim, I jumped in the roadster and took a spin through the countryside -- springtime, wild flowers in bloom. Before I left I tossed in a camera bag with my Ricoh XR7, a few old favorite lenses, and some Ektar 100. I think I got some good shots. (I guess I'll know when the film comes back!)

What is it that's got us reaching for film cameras while we wait, I wonder?
Probably the need to re-familiarize ourselves with the full frame field of view! I have been shooting film for almost a year now, so I suspect the transition will be less problematic.

04-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've actually decided to get one now. I mean not now in three years. I'm also hoping they will give one that has a pop up flash.
04-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

PF Marketplace should make a special section for all the blow-out priced K3's that will hit in May....lol

Cuz if you ain't using it now as you wait for the K1, you ain't gonna use it later. All this talk of keeping a K3 around for long lens work.... phooey!

When you see very useable iso 6400 images from a K1, you'll never go back to the K3 and its iso 1600 limit. That 2 stop difference means I can shoot at f8 and 1/1500 in moody light and get away with it!

For landscape work, I can't wait until f22 is available to me again. I hate being limited to f11ish because of diffraction kicking in sooner on APS-C.
04-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #10
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
PF Marketplace should make a special section for all the blow-out priced K3's that will hit in May....lol

Cuz if you ain't using it now as you wait for the K1, you ain't gonna use it later. All this talk of keeping a K3 around for long lens work.... phooey!

When you see very useable iso 6400 images from a K1, you'll never go back to the K3 and its iso 1600 limit. That 2 stop difference means I can shoot at f8 and 1/1500 in moody light and get away with it!

For landscape work, I can't wait until f22 is available to me again. I hate being limited to f11ish because of diffraction kicking in sooner on APS-C.
Well, I use up to ISO8000 on the K-3 and get away with it when I fill the frame. The prints looks great. I will keep the K-3 for the long reach unless the converter performs better on the K-1 than the K-3 the K-3 will probably hit the market.
04-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Bring 'em on!

QuoteQuote:
I'm excited about the K-1 as well, but I'll definitely hold off until end of year, at least. All my nickels are going to a studio
build at the moment, so no big purchases until that project is complete.

Nonetheless, I very much expect my K-3 to have its place, even after a K-1 has been brought into the stable. Not so such
for the 1.5 crop factor but for it's relatively compact size.
04-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The diffraction-limited depth of field is constant for all sensor sizes, so if it already hits you at f11 on APS-C, it will hit you even harder at f22 on FF.
04-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Already owning a K3, I am more excited by the prospect of 'APS-C only' lenses hitting the market
04-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sold my K-5IIS last week. I figured by the time the K-1 arrives there would be so many for sale in the marketplace that it would be impossible to get a decent price for it. I am going through withdrawal though and do not have a film camera to fall back on. It is supposed be gray and rainy this weekend, which will help somewhat. I placed a wanted listing for a used K-3II in the market place. Maybe I will get lucky :-)
04-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
I sold my K-5IIS last week. I figured by the time the K-1 arrives there would be so many for sale in the marketplace that it would be impossible to get a decent price for it. I am going through withdrawal though and do not have a film camera to fall back on. It is supposed be gray and rainy this weekend, which will help somewhat. I placed a wanted listing for a used K-3II in the market place. Maybe I will get lucky :-)
So, you don't keep a previous camera to backup your primary camera?