Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Glad to see that he corrected his assumption.
After he accidentally tested the FA 31mm Ltd ... "with a third party hood": does it really matter?
Just trying to understand the relationship between the hood/lens and the K1 ??
His initial comments were regarding the FA31/.8, on which he had left an APSc hood, not the K-1.

04-10-2016, 05:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
on which he had left an APSc hood,
The hood issue is an interesting one.

I think many folks using lenses designed for APS-C (DA and otherwise), may not be aware of the impact under FF usage of hoods designed for the smaller format on vignetting, edge contrast etc. (And vice versa, of course - using FF lenses on APS-C without the right hood may leave you more open to stray light and flare).

Some lens makers (eg Sigma) have lens hood extenders for use on some of their FF lenses (eg their 85 f1.4 & 70-200 f2.8) under APS-C that make the hood longer on APS-C than on FF, so it's pretty clear that hood depth can make a difference between camera formats. But few other lens makers seem to worry about it, including Pentax.

I wonder if the arrival of the K-1 means Pentax can now issue shorter hoods for FF-compatible DA's like the DA*55, DA*200 and DA*300?
04-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

After he accidentally tested the FA 31mm Ltd ... "with a third party hood": does it really matter?
Just trying to understand the relationship between the hood/lens and the K1 ??
Think angle of view. The 31mm has a petal type that is open on the sides. The rectangular sensor needs a wider angle of view. His hood was solid all around so showed up in the photo.

Pentax smcP FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited Lens (Black) 20290 B&H Photo
04-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
The hood being for APS-C would be the main issue I think.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
His initial comments were regarding the FA31/.8, on which he had left an APSc hood, not the K-1.
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Think angle of view. The 31mm has a petal type that is open on the sides. The rectangular sensor needs a wider angle of view. His hood was solid all around so showed up in the photo.
With the Panasonic hood thing, the FA31 vignettes slightly on full frame. I swap the lens back and forth between my DSLR and film camera and occasionally I forget to remove the extra hood. It's heavy at the corners, which have to be cropped out, but it's a small piece of the frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I wonder if the arrival of the K-1 means Pentax can now issue shorter hoods for FF-compatible DA's like the DA*55, DA*200 and DA*300?
The DA*300 does not vignette with the supplied hood on film/full frame.

04-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
The hood being for APS-C would be the main issue I think.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
I hope this website might be informative for you.

Lens hoods
That would make sense ... although I've never paid much attention to lens hoods, given that most lenses come with a hood anyway and that they (the hoods provided with the lenses) should be "tailored" for that specific lens.
Thanks for the link ... was a bit painful to read though!