Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What are you most looking forward to?

I've been using a K-5IIs for the past 3 years. It was more camera than I could handle when I bought it but now I've begun to outgrow it. As I've pushed it as far as it can go several times, it's responded admirably.

What I'm most looking forward to with the K-1:
- Much improved autofocus. K-5IIs misses a fair amount.
- Much improved auto white balance.
- Moar FA77!! 77mm becomes a much better focal length
- Everything that goes with full frame: able to use longer focal lengths at the same distances to increase bokeh, better low-light performance, etc.
- WiFi. It will be great to review my photosessions with my models right on the spot and not have to look at the itty bitty screen.
- Articulating screen. Live view is useful in difficult focusing situations and awkward/tight spots (I find myself in those frequently). This is a big plus to not shooting blind.

What I'm not looking forward to:
- Much less FA31. I shoot about 90% of my photos with this lens. It just blows me away with it can do--its images are just in another league. I'm really going to miss shooting with it so much. I worry the FA43 isn't going to be quite the same, although it's performed well for me the limited amount of times I have used it so far.

I'm really going to miss using the FA31 all the time. That's going to be the biggest adjustment by far.

What is everyone else really looking forward to in the new camera?

04-10-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bigger viewfinder and better image quality goes without saying. I'm also looking forward to the Wi-Fi, as I've sold my K-S2 and need a replacement

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, the viewfinder and hopefully improved manual focus focusing screen. Also the rear screen that will give me better control with close-to-ground shots without having to crawl in the mud. Finally, new technology that is way ahead of me so I will have a lot of things to learn (again).
04-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh yes, the viewfinder.... shooting film for some weeks now I absolutely fell in love with these bright awesome big VF

04-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Wi-fi, two cards and a wider field of view.

I'm going to miss the onboard flash for candid moments, and I'm going to have to get used to a new heft, weight and grip. C'est la vie.
04-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coming from a K-5: Geotagged photos, low-light AF, Sonnar rendering in protraits (135mm), macro shooting with tilt screen.
04-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I'm really going to miss using the FA31 all the time. That's going to be the biggest adjustment by far.
First in Crop mode you will still get that same FA 31 performance - no need to fret too much. Second - have you considered getting the FA 43? The 31 has a field of view of about 50 degrees diagonal, the FA 43 on full frame yields 53.5 degrees diagonal. You may find all you have lost here is some weight and size. And gained the use of the 31 for the wide angle uses it couldn't be used for on APSC.

04-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam hit the Big One.

I'll add shooting all but three of my lenses on the format they were designed for.
04-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Bigger viewfinder. I want to try pixel shift. Also learning a new format; I've got a few full frame lenses, an A 1.4 50, 43mm limited, 70 mm sigma macro, 100mm F macro, plus the long stuff which will be shorter.
04-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
First in Crop mode you will still get that same FA 31 performance - no need to fret too much. Second - have you considered getting the FA 43? The 31 has a field of view of about 50 degrees diagonal, the FA 43 on full frame yields 53.5 degrees diagonal. You may find all you have lost here is some weight and size. And gained the use of the 31 for the wide angle uses it couldn't be used for on APSC.
I have the FA43. I recently acquired it because the thought of shooting with the FA50 was too...pedestrian. I didn't think I could live without that special limited rendering! We'll see how it does. I've only gotten to use the FA43 for a few shots on the APS-C. It's done ok although at <f/2.5 it's quite a bit softer than the FA31. Bokeh doesn't seem to be quite as ridiculous either.

I've just got a major crush on the FA31's rendering. Like, my heart was pounding from the rush of reviewing/editing my last couple photo sessions, in which (as always) I shot about 90% of the photos with FA31. However, the thought of getting to use the FA77 a lot more...that may make up for it a bit!
04-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm really going to miss using the FA31 all the time.
One of my justifications for getting an FA31 years ago was that I'd drawn the conclusion that the 28mm-ish FOV on crop is my favorite FOV... FA31 naturally became my favorite lens as well, and further solidified that opinion, so for a long time I was thinking this too. I knew that I liked the FA31 FOV on FF too from shooting some film with it over the last few years, but hadn't shot enough film to really know... Then I got an FA20 in November and have been using it a lot on crop since then, which has a pretty similar FOV as FA31 on FF. So I still think the 28mm-ish FOV on crop is my favorite, but the 28mm-ish range on FF has come up to a close second place. And I have no problem with the idea that I'm going to be using FA43 a lot more...

So what am I looking forward to most? Amigos.
04-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Todd, inspired by your avatar I've just gone to Amazon and bought a red Swingline stapler. It's better than the Boston.
And for anyone who wants to dump their soon to be useless FA31s please PM me.
04-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Todd, inspired by your avatar I've just gone to Amazon and bought a red Swingline stapler. It's better than the Boston.
And for anyone who wants to dump their soon to be useless FA31s please PM me.
I believe you have my stapler.
04-11-2016, 02:35 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I believe you have my stapler.

04-11-2016, 04:18 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I've just got a major crush on the FA31's rendering. Like, my heart was pounding from the rush of reviewing/editing my last couple photo sessions
"No, alas, a love between us can never be - you're intelligent and attractive and a very nice person... but my heart belongs to Pentax."