Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 01:52 AM   #1

K1 Remote release connector

Hi Everyone.

Since the K1 will be my first Pentax DSLR, I have a question all Pentaxians would hopefully be able to help me with (I did not find the anwser in the Manual)

What sort of connector does it use for a wired Cable release. Is it a 3pin like the canons or the headphone type jack?

I want to order a remote that can handle Bulb, Normal shutter release, intervalometer etc. What should I order?

Thanks you all,
K-amps

04-11-2016, 02:04 AM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
What sort of connector does it use for a wired Cable release. Is it a 3pin like the canons or the headphone type jack?

Pentax CS-205 Wired Remote reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

This is the one for you !!!
04-11-2016, 02:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks buddy. So its a headphone type 1/4" connector.

Its close to $40 on BH and $50 on Amazon. That's quite a lot for a simple cable release.
04-11-2016, 02:18 AM   #4
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

That's quite a lot for a simple cable release.

The Pentax one is dearer than the " no-name " branded ones, but I have had both and found the cheapies to be less sensitive, harder to half press to focus without releasing the shutter.
Good luck with your K-1 !!!

04-11-2016, 02:36 AM   #5
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a wired remote with my K5, it uses the same connector as the K1, it is this one: Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch 2469A002 B&H Photo Video

It doesn't have a lot of control options so I've ordered one of these: Vello ShutterBoss II Timer Remote Switch for Canon RC-C1II B&H

The Canon sub mini is the connector to look for if you want to seek cheaper options like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765659-REG/Vello_RS_C1II_RS_C1II_Wired...981&
04-11-2016, 02:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I use a wired remote with my K5, it uses the same connector as the K1, it is this one: Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch 2469A002 B&H Photo Video

It doesn't have a lot of control options so I've ordered one of these: Vello ShutterBoss II Timer Remote Switch for Canon RC-C1II B&H

The Canon sub mini is the connector to look for if you want to seek cheaper options like this one: Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H
Thanks guys!

I think I will order the Vello shutterboss wired.
04-11-2016, 03:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I want to order a remote that can handle Bulb, Normal shutter release, intervalometer etc. What should I order?
An intervalometer is built into the K-1, so you may not need to worry about getting an external one.

The other remote functions you mention can also be handled via IR remote. The K-1 has IR receivers at the front and the back of the camera. Compatible Pentax IR remotes are available for about $5 on eBay.
04-11-2016, 04:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks buddy. So its a headphone type 1/4" connector.

Its close to $40 on BH and $50 on Amazon. That's quite a lot for a simple cable release.
1/4" ? I don't think it is that large. That is the size full size headphones used in the 70's and guitars use today. I think it is either 1/8" or even smaller.

04-11-2016, 04:47 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
An intervalometer is built into the K-1, so you may not need to worry about getting an external one.

The other remote functions you mention can also be handled via IR remote. The K-1 has IR receivers at the front and the back of the camera. Compatible Pentax IR remotes are available for about $5 on eBay.
What about Bulb mode shutter release?
04-11-2016, 04:49 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

But you may have problems with the IR-Remotes, when you are not standing in Front or behind the camera, all my cameras K20D K5 K3 may have problems when you stay aside the camera. And the SR will be switched off by IR-remote

For bigger distances I prefer wireless remote controls Cactus V5 Yongnuo RF 603. otherwise i use cheap cable remotes, both of them do not disable camera SR.
04-11-2016, 05:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter

You can use your smart phone as cables releases with trigger trap kit, plus you can use wi-fi for remote function
04-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter

What about Bulb mode shutter release?
IR remotes work for bulb mode shutter release too. There are 2 modes in Pentax bodies. Mode #1 where in you keep the button pressed for the time you need the exposure and release it. Mode #2 where you have first press opening the shutter and the second press closing the shutter. IR remotes work very well with this Mode #2. With Mode #1 not so much as it needs to keep transmitting the signal to keep the shutter open and this may be interrupted very easily as the communication is only in the line of sight.
But I use Mode #2 almost always when I need buib with IR. And there is an IR App in case you hahve a phone equipped with an IR transmitter. Some Apps also offer intervalometer. But I would use Pentax's built intervalometer in a heat beat.
From what I can tell you don't need a shutter release if you can use an IR app. Also if you are thinking to have a remote shutter release just to avoid camera shakes then you can also use mirror up (or a 2 sec timer shot on some bodies) instead of remote shutter.
04-11-2016, 06:17 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Check your phone, it may have IR capabilities. There are apps that work very well.

The plug is the very small jack, 2.5mm I think. It is smaller than the normal headphone jacks, and was common on phones a few years ago.
04-11-2016, 06:44 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Why on earth would you WANT SR to not be disabled in any situation where you are using a remote?
04-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Why on earth would you WANT SR to not be disabled in any situation where you are using a remote?
I make photos in old buildings with wooden floor and lot of visitors, there it is more than usefull to have sr on a tripod.
Have you ever done photos from a bridge with a lot of traffic?