Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I like the idea of remote capture and will use it sometimes (hello much bigger LCD), but hard to imagine wanting to wait around for a K-1 DNG to transfer to my phone to edit it... Maybe it will be fast enough but doubt it.. At least for small jpeg transfers it'll be fine so might go for that sometimes... Would never try to transfer files to computer using it...
Browsing thumbnails with the Image Sync (Ricoh) app is pretty fast on my K-s2. Actually transferring large files not so much. It was also a b#*ch getting the phone and camera to sync the first time. I was at the point of giving up on it, trying several times over the past week, when I decided to start from scratch.

I uninstalled the app and "forgot" the Pentax wifi network settings. Second go 'round and it connected right off and has three times in a row so far. Maybe not so bad afterall and controlling settings, preview and shutter remotely will be nice for some planned upcoming shots IF it continues to work as well as it has today.

04-11-2016, 11:11 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I have no idea of how the K-1 wifi function will work.

So, will it show up on my local net and behave like a remote disk, allowing me to copy the pictures and clear the memorycard? Or do I still have to connect a usb cable or use a card reader?

The camera (like many other cameras) will act as a WiFi router, Gimbal, so you'll use your Android or iOS phone/tablet to join its network, then the ImageSync app to browse pictures or remotely shoot (touch the screen to autofocus at that point).

You can save a JPEG to the phone, but you'd continue to transfer RAW pics to your computer for editing as you do now. Basic WiFi is too slow for big files.
04-12-2016, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
...You can save a JPEG to the phone, but you'd continue to transfer RAW pics to your computer for editing as you do now. Basic WiFi is too slow for big files.
While I agree about that it seems to be the current capability of the K1 wifi, I disagree that wifi in general is too slow to transfer the files. Even with the older stated n-type wifi standard it supports, transfer speeds of about 40mb/s are possible (or more if looking at the theoretical spec), which is already on par with the usb-2 connector on camera. But if they'd support the newer ac-type wifi standard (which the K1 does not I'm afraid), more than 150mb/s should not be a problem (given that the user's router or wifi adapter or other infrastucture also supports it). And then there's also the ad-standard that's even faster (but requires line of sight etc for faster speeds).

But we can always hope for a future firmware/app update that allows wifi-based PC-transfers on the n-standard for 40mb/s at least =)

Last edited by Igor123; 04-12-2016 at 06:12 AM.
04-12-2016, 04:56 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Transfers over wifi are fine even for raw with many cameras with smaller size files, the 36mp files may be slower than desired, but with background cable free connections this can happen in spare time.

04-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So if I read the manual well, transfer of photos from K-1 to PC via wi-fi won't be possible, right? That's a real pity. I hate to have to niggle with cables or memory cards after every shooting.