Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2016, 01:57 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Hands on with K1 in Athens

Today Ricoh for Greece and Cyprus organized a presentation of the K1 in collaboration with the Greek magazine Photographer magazine. Well, may people attended, over a hundred I believe. My impressions of K1 are wow what a camera!
1. First class ergonomics as usual with Pentax.The grip is excellent.
2. very fast autofocus in good lighting and positive enough in bad lighting. In another league from my K&
3. Build as a brick. It is tougher than expected. The "moon lander", screen seems also very tough.
4. The mirror clack is not a clack, is very sweet and quiet. The mirror sound of the Nikon 801 which I also had the opportunity to try is very rough and "ugly" compared to the K1.
5. On sale in Greece at the end of the month. Price euro 2.000,00 body only.

Regards

04-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gkey Quote
Today Ricoh for Greece and Cyprus organized a presentation of the K1 in collaboration with the Greek magazine Photographer magazine. Well, may people attended, over a hundred I believe. My impressions of K1 are wow what a camera!
2. very fast autofocus in good lighting and positive enough in bad lighting. In another league from my K&
3. Build as a brick. It is tougher than expected. The "moon lander", screen seems also very tough.
4. The mirror clack is not a clack, is very sweet and quiet. The mirror sound of the Nikon 801 which I also had the opportunity to try is very rough and "ugly" compared to the K1.

Regards
Forgive me but could you clarify which camera you have? K& = ?
04-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Forgive me but could you clarify which camera you have? K& = ?
Sorry, my mistake. I have the K7
04-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

No need to apologize - thanks for clarifying.

04-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sounds great! eager to see more user reviews when it becomes available soon..
04-13-2016, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Regards
I was happy to see and spend some time with the K-1 again and this time with the DFA 70-200. I think this combination will be hard to beat and puts Pentax high in the high-end PRO gear. I was once more impressed.

What I also liked yesterday is that I met in person 2 PF members, gkey being one of them! The PF t-shirt helped a lot!

Greetings from here too to Greek PF members that I met and all members around the world!

PS: The more I play with the K-1 the more I fall in love with this camera! Can't wait to hold mine in my hands... I have already said this but I'll repeat it, I think that the K-1 will be a real game changer and it will offer great times of joy to those who will overcome the preconception of "serious means Canonikon" and give this wonderful machine a try!
04-14-2016, 04:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Great to read all these positive impressions!! And I'm jealous that you guys get to see the camera before you buy!! What was your impression of AF speed with the K-1, redpit?
04-14-2016, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Great to read all these positive impressions!! And I'm jealous that you guys get to see the camera before you buy!! What was your impression of AF speed with the K-1, redpit?
I tried the DFA 150-450, the Tamron 70-200/2.8 and yesterday the DFA* 70-200/2.8 (that only indoors). I'm quite impressed with the AF. The speed is not up to HSM lenses from Nikon (that I've tried) BUT very close and it was so decisive and accurate that it feels PRO level I don't know how to better explain it but I'm quite sure that we won't loose shots due to slow or inaccurate AF! I tried a pre-production model and I was very satisfied (more than I expected) from the AF performance I experienced...

I hope I answered your question. To sum it up the AF and the SR performance where the two most impressive features I've experienced from the short trial of the K-1... Yesterday I was able to shot steady shots (not viewed them on 100% - didn't use a card this time) with the DFA* 70-200 @200mm and shutter speeds as low as 1/30!

Some more patience and soon enough we will know more! (I think it will be a nice test for this website the first week after the K-1 officially hits the selves!!!)

04-14-2016, 05:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Thank you very much, redpit! That's quite encouraging!
04-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I tried the DFA 150-450, the Tamron 70-200/2.8 and yesterday the DFA* 70-200/2.8 (that only indoors).
Hey mate, thanks for sharing another encounter with the dream machine
Really appreciate your writings. I had the chance to hold and shoot a K3 with grip and a 70-200 2.8 DFA. Oh my goodness this is nothing you will carry with you all day long... 3+ Kg. But this felt pro level too haha. Hope they will spoil us with more reviews and more content of the Lens Lab! Thanks again good sir!
04-14-2016, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #11

Hands on at B&H

Yesterday I went into "the City" for a concert at Madison Square Garden and decided to visit B&H for a quick dose of camera equipment overload. Nikon and Cannon have their on kiosk but Pentax shares one with Fuji and maybe others. I looked and there it was "the mythical Griffin ". It felt great to actually hold the camera which was smaller then I expected. It was was next to a K3ii so I had a good frame of reference. The firmware was edition 0.52. I was impress with the display screen with a fonts that look new and cleaner than my K3 to my eye. They had the 28-105 lens attached so I tried focusing on a number of items around the store and love the focus point display in the view finder. I also played with the lights which were turned off. I was surprised that the light could be turned on and off individually plus the intensity could be varied. Can not wait for the delivery truck to arrive. Sorry for the poor cell phone picture.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
04-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter

You Canadian? LOL

Randy
04-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JENSEN7474 Quote
I looked and there it was "the mythical Griffin ". It felt great to actually hold the camera which was smaller then I expected.
Thanks for sharing! Is the 28-105 a screw drive AF lens or is this also a HSM as Sigma calls it, or ultra sound AF as canon labeled? was is quite noisy or were you also positively surprised with the sound
04-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Neither; it's a DC lens - which is an internal, virtually silent motor but of different technology than HSM, USM or SDM.
Pentax/Ricoh Imaging is using this kind of motor for a while.