Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
lightroom 5.7

Will lightroom 5.7 work with the k1 pef files?

04-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It'll definitely work with the DNGs. I don't think profiles have been released for the K-1 yet, so .PEF files would need to be converted to .DNG's first.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2016, 01:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are there any quality differences between the PEF and the DNGs??

I have been using DNGs since i switched to a raw format... so i havent try any PEF yet.. as far as i know both are "kind of the same"
04-15-2016, 02:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Are there any quality differences between the PEF and the DNGs??

I have been using DNGs since i switched to a raw format... so i havent try any PEF yet.. as far as i know both are "kind of the same"
In the pixeldate, there shouldn't be any difference. The big Question are the Meta-Data, like exif,.... Nobody nkows what pentax all fill in to pef and what to dng. I assume that pef will have more Information. I can't check that I couldn't manage ist to get comparable information from Pef and DNG with Phil Harveys exiftools.

I did some experiments
* Pef and dng are different fom two shots of the same object within two seconds (time needed to switch) different Tag names
* Pef converted to dng bei Adobe dng converter pef and dng not comparable.
* dng direkt and dng converted not comparable

04-15-2016, 03:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It'll definitely work with the DNGs. I don't think profiles have been released for the K-1 yet, so .PEF files would need to be converted to .DNG's first.
Adobe provide support for new cameras in their DNG Converter at the same time that they incorporate native support in ACR and Lightroom.

Does Pentax provide conversion from PEF to DNG in their software?
04-15-2016, 03:41 AM   #6
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Adobe provide support for new cameras in their DNG Converter at the same time that they incorporate native support in ACR and Lightroom.

Does Pentax provide conversion from PEF to DNG in their software?
Yes they do
04-15-2016, 03:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Often enough DNGs can be used even if Adobe has not yet updated official support. After all bayer raw files are not that different. And anyone who downloaded some of the K1 raws from dpr can simply try it out.

04-15-2016, 03:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I doubt that Lightroom 5 versions will be updated to enable PEF.

AFAIK Adobe DNG converter at 9.5 and as yet no full support for conversion however Adobe do say that it is possible that files may convert for cameras not listed (see bottom of attached). Compatibility issues can occur due to different sensors and MP count as well as potential colour issues due to the different processing requirements to produce a neutral rendering from the raw data
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html#Pentax
04-15-2016, 03:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You will be able to use the DNG files, however there will not be profiles made available in Lightroom 5 for the K-1. I remember when the K3 first came out and Lightroom only kind of supported it. The color profiles were really wonky and you had to do a lot of creating things on your own or get things like Hue Light's profiles. But you could definitely open the K3 files and work on them in Lightroom. I imagine the same thing will be true of the K-1 files in older versions of Lightroom.
04-15-2016, 04:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Often enough DNGs can be used even if Adobe has not yet updated official support. After all bayer raw files are not that different. And anyone who downloaded some of the K1 raws from dpr can simply try it out.
That isn't odd. That is an intention of DNG. A DNG file contains all the information that Adobe products, and many other products, need for purposes of doing the raw conversion. It is why DNG is the only archival raw file format.
04-15-2016, 06:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never could figure out how to update my LR 5.7 once CC came out- it always directed me to the CC page. I finally just submitted and now pay Adobe $10/month for the latest Photoshop and LR.
04-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is highly unlikely that the K-1 DNG files created in camera will be readable in Lightroom 5.x, See this Adobe page:
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html
to get a better understanding of how Adobe keeps you on the LR upgrade path by not providing support for newer cameras. For example note that the DNG and PEF files of the K3II work only with Lightroom V6.1.1 and higher.

You will be able to use the standalone DNG converter once the K-1 profile has been added to the latest version. In the meantime only the Pentax software will read these files.
04-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
It is highly unlikely that the K-1 DNG files created in camera will be readable in Lightroom 5.x, See this Adobe page:
to get a better understanding of how Adobe keeps you on the LR upgrade path by not providing support for newer cameras. For example note that the DNG and PEF files of the K3II work only with Lightroom V6.1.1 and higher.

You will be able to use the standalone DNG converter once the K-1 profile has been added to the latest version. In the meantime only the Pentax software will read these files.
I think you mean 9.1.1 not 6.1.1

DNG files will open with any recent ACR version I use ACR6.7 in CS5 with my K3 (adobe supported V8.3) .

Support means having colour profile etc available in the converter .... But DNG carries camera profile data so irrelevant of the 'application support' you should be able to correctly open a DNG if your application is correctly configured.
You may need a later version to support extensions like pixel shift and a still don'y think ACR supports Pentax HDR in any version. (not supported in DNG or PEF)
04-18-2016, 01:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
A K-1 with firmware version 0.38 writes DNG version 1.2.0.0. (As does the K-3II with its release-firmware).
That should be supported by all versions of Lightroom from 2.0, and all versions of ACR from 4.5.

See my "A brief history of DNG".

I can't speak for a K-1 with release-firmware 1.00. But I can't see why it would be different. Later versions of DNG so far don't add anything that the K-1 needs for bog-standard use.
(Later versions would be needed if/when DNG supports special features of the K-1).

I checked the DNG version using the dng_validate.exe tool from the DNG SDK on a K-1 DNG I downloaded in February.
04-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #15
wpt

Original Poster
Sounds encouraging, i have wanted to switch to DNG and the thought of not needing to upgrade Lightroom is appealing. Thank you for the insightful input - Bill