Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 319
K1 in infrared and ultraviolet

Has anyone heard (or better, experienced) how well the K1 will shoot in IR or UV without removal of the blocking filter?

My K10 was pretty horrible, though with vastly better sensitivity and resolution, the K1 might be OK for playing around, even if it blocks as much as the K10...

I'm mostly interested in black and white infrared, and I can filter that now. For UV, I'm just curious and haven't wandered down that path yet...

Thanks,

-Eric

04-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,771
Might be a bit early yet, as no one has actually tested a production model. And those that have handled pre-production ones are not talking. And likely have other things to test besides IR & UV. But an interesting question that might take a while to get answered.
04-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Dr_who's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 690
I imagine if it was sensitive to IR or even HA wave length they would be advertising it as such. Since they are advertising everything else astro related from star trails to astrotracker to the leds to shoot at night. Of course I'd love it if it was a little sensitive to HA but I'm not holding my breath.
04-17-2016, 02:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
Billgscott's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York
Posts: 237
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Has anyone heard (or better, experienced) how well the K1 will shoot in IR or UV without removal of the blocking filter?

My K10 was pretty horrible, though with vastly better sensitivity and resolution, the K1 might be OK for playing around, even if it blocks as much as the K10...

I'm mostly interested in black and white infrared, and I can filter that now. For UV, I'm just curious and haven't wandered down that path yet...

Thanks,

-Eric
If your going to get a K1 you can get your K10 coverted to IR only.

You can use a converted camera the same as a normal one ie hand held with the same shutter times.

06-25-2017, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 75
Bump for a good question. Anyone in the Pentax universe convert or have converted a K-1 for infrared or full spectrum photography? I had a K-01 converted and it was excellent (just did not take advantage of the sensor shift for GPS unit). I also purchased a Nikon D7100 and had it converted but it will not set the white balance internally so it has to be done in post. Strongly considering the K-1 and would like to hear about the IR capabilities.
07-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,041
UV requires special lenses - only quartz glass will let UV pass.
IR is a different stoy, but you would need to get rid of the IR-cutoff filter.
There are companies that shave sensor from RGB filters - that's cool - a monochrome K1 that is open to accept UV-nIR rays.
07-05-2017, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hartsville, SC
Posts: 20
I tried the K-1 with a Hoya R72 filter today. I was able to get a useable B &W image using ACR/Photoshop. So, yes, the K-1 can be used for IR. However, the HD D FA 28-105mm lens vignettes pretty badly. I can't find a thread on IR-capable lenses

Does anyone have experience with full frame lenses that are suitable for IR on the K-1?
07-17-2017, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 15
The K-1 works like a dream for IR, even with just a Hoya R72. I shot these images around 7PM, and it was cloudy, but I could still focus in liveview, and the camera was able to get correct metering using the green button function. The lens on the one was a Pentax-M 28 f2.8, shot at f8, ISO200, 20 sec exposure.







---------- Post added 07-17-17 at 08:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenLS Quote
I tried the K-1 with a Hoya R72 filter today. I was able to get a useable B &W image using ACR/Photoshop. So, yes, the K-1 can be used for IR. However, the HD D FA 28-105mm lens vignettes pretty badly. I can't find a thread on IR-capable lenses

Does anyone have experience with full frame lenses that are suitable for IR on the K-1?
Just played around for a little bit, and the Pentax-M 28 2.8 and 100 f4 macro seem to have no vignetting. I would have to shoot in bright daylight to really confirm it though.

07-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 15
QuoteOriginally posted by Disguise Quote
The K-1 works like a dream for IR, even with just a Hoya R72. I shot these images around 7PM, and it was cloudy, but I could still focus in liveview, and the camera was able to get correct metering using the green button function. The lens on the one was a Pentax-M 28 f2.8, shot at f8, ISO200, 20 sec exposure.







---------- Post added 07-17-17 at 08:21 PM ----------



Just played around for a little bit, and the Pentax-M 28 2.8 and 100 f4 macro seem to have no vignetting. I would have to shoot in bright daylight to really confirm it though.
K-1 is quite capable of churning out decent IR pictures

07-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 190
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
UV requires special lenses - only quartz glass will let UV pass.
IR is a different stoy, but you would need to get rid of the IR-cutoff filter.
There are companies that shave sensor from RGB filters - that's cool - a monochrome K1 that is open to accept UV-nIR rays.
It's possible to use regular lenses with near visible UV (down to about 325nm - most of the UVA range) but a problem you run into is since UV focuses shorter than visible, you might not be able to get an infinity focus. If you are focusing on up-close objects (flowers, etc.), that shouldn't be a problem.
Any work below 300nm will require quartz or other UV lens materials $$$$.

One problem you might run into with UV is the Bayer filter and its absorption of UV so that may have to be removed as well.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, filter, full frame, full-frame, hoya, ir, k-1, k1, lens, lenses, pentax k-1, pentax-m, r72, shot, uv
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To K1 or not K1 - that is the question? interested_observer Pentax K-1 78 07-15-2017 03:58 PM
K1 already in stock in Denmark? VoiceOfReason Pentax K-1 25 03-16-2016 03:22 AM
Nature Ultraviolet and animal vision photography kds315 Post Your Photos! 4 05-20-2014 08:40 PM
Infrared in Black and White alohadave Post Your Photos! 5 06-29-2008 04:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top