Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

k-1 bundle

Is it sure that the K-1 will come bundled with the 28-105 in the near future ? Am i the only one waiting to see it arrives in stores listings ? I have never bought a bundled camera but this lens (28-105) is a good start to complement prime lenses, having a good range and good quality for cheap. I look at other brands and they seems to give good discounts on similar combos. Should we expect the same, any thoughts on that ?

04-18-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MattCard Quote
Is it sure that the K-1 will come bundled with the 28-105 in the near future ? Am i the only one waiting to see it arrives in stores listings ? I have never bought a bundled camera but this lens (28-105) is a good start to complement prime lenses, having a good range and good quality for cheap. I look at other brands and they seems to give good discounts on similar combos. Should we expect the same, any thoughts on that ?
I think the 28-105mm is pretty attractively priced on its own, with the discount "built in". You get a FF kit lens for the price of the comparable APS-C counterpart: can't go wrong with that

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
For sure its not expensive, but buying the 2 at the same time is just a bit of a stretch for me right now so i am wondering if a bundle will come when its listed as ''in stock''. Could save a bit...Ho well i should just pre-order the K-1 and wait a little for the lens. My primes can keep me busy for a while anyways

Thanks Adam
04-18-2016, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Sooner or later it will be a bundle, unless Pentax decides to break new ground and for the first time ever, which includes the 645z and D, not offer a bundle with a camera. I'm sure by the time I can afford one, there will be a bundle. But right now, I have a $100 FA-J 18-35, $60 FA 35-80, and a $35 F 70-210 in consumer glass.

04-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #5

I don't understand why you would buy a k1 pro level camera and get the "kit" lens 28-105 with it. Glass is so important guys don't forget that. If you don't have the money for good glass wait then save and settle for the apsc lenses you have or a cheap 50mm 1.7 in the meantime. A pro camera needs pro glass end of story
04-18-2016, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I'm planning to get the 28-105 for my K-1. Have you seen the sample images from it so far? It looks like it could be a fantastic value. I'll wait to see the reviews, but if they are positive, it seems like a no-brainer to me.
04-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

For good photographs, you need good light, good composition and it all has to click, after that, lens quality plays a part.

A K-3 is more than 99 % of the forum use. Of the 1% who use more, maybe they'll use an FF and good glass. But the vast majority of K-1 owners will be advanced amateurs who will buy one because of the great price.

I bet a K-1 with a 28-105 will give me much higher IQ than a K-3 with a 16-85 or a 50-135 and 16-50 combo or whatever APS-c you choose to throw at it.

So what I'm saying is, for the advanced amateur, good glass is an option, and the K-1 will provide better resolution and low light performance, and narrower DoF than a K-3 with the best glass available. A K-1 is cheap enough to be an enthusiast camera.

A K-1 will make every one of your FF compatible lenses better. If you happily used it on a K-3, you will happily use it on a K-1.

For me this is especially meaningful for lenses like my A-400, where the quality is a little less than my 60-250. The big question will be, which is better, my A-400 gives me better IQ on a K-1 than my DA* 60-250 does on a K-3 being approximately the same focal length. I can put the 1.4 on either. A consumer prime against at DA* zoom..

SO, can you see the potential yet?

Last edited by normhead; 04-18-2016 at 01:52 PM.
04-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
I don't understand why you would buy a k1 pro level camera and get the "kit" lens 28-105 with it. Glass is so important guys don't forget that. If you don't have the money for good glass wait then save and settle for the apsc lenses you have or a cheap 50mm 1.7 in the meantime. A pro camera needs pro glass end of story
Nikon and Canon offer kit with lenses on their FF including D810 . They need that if they want to sell to the like of Costco. This ill come later in the fall.
04-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think anyone knows yet what lenses will shine on the K-1. A pro lens does not assure pro results. Not everyone is interested in carrying the weight most "pro" zooms weigh in at. Hopefully, the K-1 will add better color depth and dynamic range. It's kind of like saying if you can't afford the DA* zoom lenses, you shouldn't own a K-3. If you spend time looking at photographs on the Pentax gallery website, you will find stunning pictures taken with 6 MP cameras and "consumer" zoom lenses.
04-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
I do have primes, good ones. What i don't understand is saying that this zoom lens is not good. Is it the variable aperture that bothers, maybe ? But a 9 blade kit zoom that looks to be a new design is probably more than good enough. If its not good enough for you its ok, and i understand your point. But its all a Mather of use and perspective

---------- Post added 04-18-16 at 02:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But right now, I have a $100 FA-J 18-35, $60 FA 35-80, and a $35 F 70-210 in consumer glass.
If i stumble on an Fa- FaJ zoom i might give it a try, just for fun, i am sure they can be surprising
04-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
I don't think anyone knows yet what lenses will shine on the K-1. A pro lens does not assure pro results. Not everyone is interested in carrying the weight most "pro" zooms weigh in at. Hopefully, the K-1 will add better color depth and dynamic range. It's kind of like saying if you can't afford the DA* zoom lenses, you shouldn't own a K-3. If you spend time looking at photographs on the Pentax gallery website, you will find stunning pictures taken with 6 MP cameras and "consumer" zoom lenses.
I am planning on getting eventually the 15-30 and D-fa* 70-200, but i think i prefer the 28-105 to the 24-70 in the middle as a more general purpose lense. Its lighter and longer, i don't mind if its slower
04-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the 28-105mm is pretty attractively priced on its own, with the discount "built in". You get a FF kit lens for the price of the comparable APS-C counterpart: can't go wrong with that
I'd rather buy them separate if there is no significant discount.. separately means even if the lens is a poor copy, I don't have to return the body.. just keep swapping out lenses until one cuts the mustard.

That said.. if they want to start discounting 20% or more off the lens cost, then I might just the bundle..
04-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sooner or later it will be a bundle, unless Pentax decides to break new ground and for the first time ever, which includes the 645z and D, not offer a bundle with a camera. I'm sure by the time I can afford one, there will be a bundle. But right now, I have a $100 FA-J 18-35, $60 FA 35-80, and a $35 F 70-210 in consumer glass.
Don't think there were any bundles with the K-3 II, either. They're not awfully common with high-end bodies.

That said, I am working with B&H to see if they can put together some PF-exclusive kits, and scrape together a discount. Those won't go live until later, though.

Plus, according to Ricoh USA, they're through with the whole "launch at a high price, then heavily discount" strategy. They expect the K-1 and related lenses to maintain their price while they're on the market, similar to 645 gear. Plus, the K-1 could easily have been launched at $1999 if you look at the competition and pricing in other regions, so I wouldn't hope for any big discounts until end-of-life

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
For good photographs, you need good light, good composition and it all has to click, after that, lens quality plays a part.

A K-3 is more than 99 % of the forum use. Of the 1% who use more, maybe they'll use an FF and good glass. But the vast majority of K-1 owners will be advanced amateurs who will buy one because of the great price.

I bet a K-1 with a 28-105 will give me much higher IQ than a K-3 with a 16-85 or a 50-135 and 16-50 combo or whatever APS-c you choose to throw at it.

So what I'm saying is, for the advanced amateur, good glass is an option, and the K-1 will provide better resolution and low light performance, and narrower DoF than a K-3 with the best glass available. A K-1 is cheap enough to be an enthusiast camera.

A K-1 will make every one of your FF compatible lenses better. If you happily used it on a K-3, you will happily use it on a K-1.

For me this is especially meaningful for lenses like my A-400, where the quality is a little less than my 60-250. The big question will be, which is better, my A-400 gives me better IQ on a K-1 than my DA* 60-250 does on a K-3 being approximately the same focal length. I can put the 1.4 on either. A consumer prime against at DA* zoom..

SO, can you see the potential yet?
I definitely see the potential... Was certain I wouldn't bother with the K-1... but lately I'm not nearly as sure. Given that I have a K-5 currently, I can use all my DA* / DA limited lenses on the K-1, even in Crop mode, and still have just as many megapickles as I have currently, with improvements in AF and ISO performance. So no loss there. All of my FF compatible glass suddenly has a big possible improvement factor on top of that... True my most expensive lenses are APS-C specific, but I do have some older gems in the bullpen. I'd definitely consider the bundle... the new zoom is sure to beat the pants off my existing FF zooms.
04-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd like one for 'cheap' weather-resistance. At the moment I don't have any WR lenses, and the new FF 2.8 lenses are out of my budget atm.

But yes, point taken, pro glass should shine on FF.