Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1

While we are waiting...

Okay, two more weeks (assuming B&H is not able to meet the rumored 4/21 early shipping date) before
we can get our hands on the long-waited K-1. While we are waiting, here are a bunch of detailed K-1
demo videos posted by a Korean website. I think they are fun to watch:

AF mode selection demo

Function dial demo

Viewfinder demo

Live View/Movie mode demo

Info botton demo

04-19-2016, 02:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

thanks for sharing, mate! great stuff! in some sequences you can see the animations the design UI team talked about in the Challenges-Interview-Series. And I noticed once again, that this articulating screen will be a hell of a feature. I begin to wonder how I lived all those years without a flexible screen.
04-19-2016, 03:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
thanks for sharing, mate! great stuff! in some sequences you can see the animations the design UI team talked about in the Challenges-Interview-Series. And I noticed once again, that this articulating screen will be a hell of a feature. I begin to wonder how I lived all those years without a flexible screen.
Even worse, I have often stated that this is one of the more useless new features desired by many...
Now I still think one could shoot without an articulated screen but I wonder how often I will use it..

Still mourning the demise of the pop up flash though, always nice to have some flash capability just in case without bringing a separate flash unit.
04-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Even worse, I have often stated that this is one of the more useless new features desired by many...
Now I still think one could shoot without an articulated screen but I wonder how often I will use it..

Still mourning the demise of the pop up flash though, always nice to have some flash capability just in case without bringing a separate flash unit.
Yeah agree with you. It is useless to build a FF especially having a stellar K-3/K-3ii making waves already. I wonder how often anyone would use the K-1 if they have a K-3. right??? (P.I.)

04-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even worse, I have often stated that this is one of the more useless new features desired by many... Now I still think one could shoot without an articulated screen but I wonder how often I will use it.. Still mourning the demise of the pop up flash though, always nice to have some flash capability just in case without bringing a separate flash unit.
Funny how different people want different things. I certainly do not miss the flash on the K-3II, never really used it on any camera.
And I stated several times that an articulated screen was not of much use. But recently it seems to be a long way down to the ground and back up and I've had several opportunities lately where I wished the K-3 had an articulated screen. So I've change my mind and look forward to using it on the K-1. Who knows maybe someday I'll find a use for on board flash too.
04-21-2016, 05:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Who knows maybe someday I'll find a use for on board flash too.
I prefer no flash at all but sometimes I shoot at events with a sort of after party and then people like to have "after party mugshots" if you know what I mean. Now, that is quite hard without a flash and just to get an external flash for that is quite overdone, if not too bulky to carry around in the crowd.
04-21-2016, 05:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I imagine by the time I've killed my K-1 (2026?) I will have found a use for every feature and a way to get around every shortcoming, whatever they may be.

An AF201FG P-TTL flash costs less than $150, is all-weather and fits in a small jacket pocket. About the same as one more lens.*

* Waiting for someone to complain about extra weight, then the thread derails into the inevitable Mirrorless meme.

04-21-2016, 05:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer no flash at all but sometimes I shoot at events with a sort of after party and then people like to have "after party mugshots" if you know what I mean. Now, that is quite hard without a flash and just to get an external flash for that is quite overdone, if not too bulky to carry around in the crowd.
I shoot lots of "no flash" events, but I still carry a real flash for crowd and after party shots. An intelligently bounced hot-shoe flash will always trump on on-board flash, and is totally worth the minimal weight and bulk.
04-21-2016, 06:46 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I imagine by the time I've killed my K-1 (2026?) I will have found a use for every feature and a way to get around every shortcoming, whatever they may be.

An AF201FG P-TTL flash costs less than $150, is all-weather and fits in a small jacket pocket. About the same as one more lens.*

* Waiting for someone to complain about extra weight, then the thread derails into the inevitable Mirrorless meme.
I do not understand the issue with weight. I shoot on a regular basis with a K7 and a Sigma 50-500 mounted while carrying a bag with a 18-55 pentax kit lens, a Vivitar 85mm f1.4, a vivitar series 1 55mm macro, and a Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 with 2 extra batteries and a Vivitar Zoom Thyristor flash. I can carry this all day if needed and sometimes add in a Majestic 3000 tripod and majestic 1400 gear head camera mount for shorter treks.

So the K1 weighs an ounce or 2 more. So what!