Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
I don't shoot much formal landscapes per se - more travel photography than anything, and I sell my work through both an art gallery and an interior design store. Examples of my work are on my website at Peter Mendelson Photography. My most common size print is 40" x 60" so resolution is important to me.

I will be using the 645z whenever practicable, but I will be using a smaller system a lot of the time too when I don't want to or can't lug around the 645z and lenses (the 28-45mm lens is an absolute beast). I got the Leica Q when I wanted a one camera / one lens solution for carrying around. I loved a lot of things about it, but the smaller resolution files were a bit of an issue for me. Also, I use the A7RII and 25mm Batis a lot, and it's not much bigger than the Q so they were a bit redundant for me. I recently tried out the Sony 24-70GM, which would have been great for my trip to Costa Rica, but the lens was soft on the right edge (possible decentering?), and I returned it. It also wasn't much fun to shoot with for some reason - over time I have grown to like shooting with primes and the challenges they present.

I have an upcoming trip to the Amalfi Coast with my wife this summer, and I'd love to bring the 645z, although it is going to be a bit uncomfortable carrying it around everywhere. I think I am going back to backpacks from shoulder bags

04-22-2016, 04:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterm1 Quote
I have an upcoming trip to the Amalfi Coast with my wife this summer,
Scariest road I ever drove. (Well, not quite drove, but I was the front seat passenger - tiny narrow road, with sea wall on one side (complete with fishermen), trattorias with the outside chairs' legs practically IN THE GUTTER, and tour buses coming towards us. I swear the only person in the car who did not shut their eyes was the driver.) But yeah, beautiful scenery.
04-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by peterm1 Quote
I don't shoot much formal landscapes per se - more travel photography than anything, and I sell my work through both an art gallery and an interior design store. Examples of my work are on my website at Peter Mendelson Photography. My most common size print is 40" x 60" so resolution is important to me.

I will be using the 645z whenever practicable, but I will be using a smaller system a lot of the time too when I don't want to or can't lug around the 645z and lenses (the 28-45mm lens is an absolute beast). I got the Leica Q when I wanted a one camera / one lens solution for carrying around. I loved a lot of things about it, but the smaller resolution files were a bit of an issue for me. Also, I use the A7RII and 25mm Batis a lot, and it's not much bigger than the Q so they were a bit redundant for me. I recently tried out the Sony 24-70GM, which would have been great for my trip to Costa Rica, but the lens was soft on the right edge (possible decentering?), and I returned it. It also wasn't much fun to shoot with for some reason - over time I have grown to like shooting with primes and the challenges they present.

I have an upcoming trip to the Amalfi Coast with my wife this summer, and I'd love to bring the 645z, although it is going to be a bit uncomfortable carrying it around everywhere. I think I am going back to backpacks from shoulder bags

Ok after seeing your work(which is very good!) I can see how a 645Z would be a pain bringing around since your shooting seems to be a bit mobile around town. Personally I could see an RX1R II with it's 42mp sensor being a really welcomed addition as it would really allow you to have to separate systems in terms of size but you may not want a fixed 35mm :/ Obviously you know your needs better than myself but just throwing suggestions out there. I have the original RX1 and its such a stealth camera.

What dpi are you printing at for 40" x 60"?
04-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
Ok after seeing your work(which is very good!) I can see how a 645Z would be a pain bringing around since your shooting seems to be a bit mobile around town. Personally I could see an RX1R II with it's 42mp sensor being a really welcomed addition as it would really allow you to have to separate systems in terms of size but you may not want a fixed 35mm :/ Obviously you know your needs better than myself but just throwing suggestions out there. I have the original RX1 and its such a stealth camera.

What dpi are you printing at for 40" x 60"?
Thank you. I usually use some resizing software like Blow Up when I need to print large, and I believe I am printing at 240 dpi. I used to have the RX1RII and sold it in favor of the Leica Q because I preferred the usability of the Q and the results (although I missed the resolution of the RX1RII). I sold the Q the other day to help pay for the 645z, and I think if I get another compact camera it may wind up being the RX1RII again for the resolution, but first on my list is the new Pentax 645 35mm HD lens, since it is close to the 28mm field of view in 35mm terms that I loved shooting with on the Q, and it makes the 645z feel much more reasonable in size and weight.

I just got home from shooting a little bit with the 28-45mm handheld, and it really is too big and heavy to carry around a lot and its sooooo conspicuous. I would prefer a 35mm for walking around and the 28-45 for tripod shots.

04-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I see the 645z as an exclusively tripod use camera only.

I think you can't go wrong with an A7rII or K-1.

There is a wider choice of lenses for the A7 and for the most part they are top notch optical quality. The Pentax has somewhat restricting lens options.

For example, there is no light 70-200 option for the K1, only the DFA at 1.75kg, no f4 version.

The ultra wide option is large and does not take filters.

It's a most interesting conundrum you are in and I have the same problem.
04-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
...... The Pentax has the 15-30 (no filters, shame) ........
I just bought a 150mm NiSi square filter system thats custom fit for the 15-30. I got the 10 stop ND, 6 stop ND, 3 stop GND and 3 stop reverse ND, all IR cut types. The filter holder is for the Tamrom 15-30, and I am sure it should fit the form petal of the DFA 15-30 (although, I have not tested this on the DFA, I am assuming here) . It's not cheap, but its very high quality.

https://nisifilters.com.au/

Last edited by K-amps; 04-23-2016 at 04:56 PM.
04-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
I just bought a 150mm NiSi square filter system thats custom fit for the 15-30. I got the 10 stop ND, 6 stop ND, 3 stop GND and 3 stop reverse ND, all IR cut types. The filter holder is for the Tamrom 15-30, and I am sure it should fit the form petal of the DFA 15-30 (although, I have not tested this on the DFA, I am assuming here) . It's not cheap, but its very high quality.

https://nisifilters.com.au/
I am fully aware that Nisi had a system to suit the Tamron 15-30. However what I am saying is why on earth would a landscape photographer want to carry both a 100mm filter system and an extra 150mm system just for one lens.

It's all counter productive to what we are trying to achieve here, extra stuff = extra weight. Plus 150x170mm systems aren't small to pack.

Couple that with a 70-200 that's 300grams more than its competition and we aren't spoilt at all.