Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2016, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #1

Make sense to move from A7RII to K-1 if I already have 645z and lenses?

Anyone else thinking of moving from Sony to the Pentax K-1?

I have been using the Sony A7RII for a while, along with a Leica Q (which I just sold) and a Ricoh GRII. I just bought a Pentax 645z and some nice lenses for it, and understand they can be used on the K-1 with an adapter (in manual focus). I never totally gelled with the A7RII or any Sony camera and it's just not that much fun for me to use, although the sensor is pretty great and the lens choices are very good (right now I am using the Canon 11-24mm on an adapter, the Sony 16-35, Zeiss Batis 25 and Sony 70-200 f/4). I shoot all kinds of stuff but not really sports and no video - it's a serious hobby for me and I do sell my work through three different galleries in sizes up to 40" x 60".

I am wondering about potentially switching from the A7RII to the K-1 despite the larger size of the camera. One reason is, as I mentioned, I never really liked using Sony bodies much and I don't love the menu system and ergonomics. Another reason is that it would be easier to stick with similar menus and functions between the 645z and the K-1, although I realize there are many differences (but much more similar than the Sony layout). I don't care that much about the resolution difference, especially with pixel-shifting on the K-1 when needed. Finally, while I would get some nice Pentax autofocus lenses to go with the K-1, I am wondering if the 645 lenses will work especially well on the K-1 since it should crop more of the lens circle.

I will be very interested in reading reviews of the K-1.

Thanks!

Peter

04-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome.

I can't speak to the 645 or the lens issue, but I can say this - ergonomics and control systems are important, and can greatly affect how happy a photographer is with his or her equipment, and consequently the results achieved. I was excited when I saw the first official preview pics of the K-1 because the extra mode/menu dials spelled rapid access to things I might use in a great hurry. The more I read about the camera, the more this impression is borne out. I haven't had the chance to handle one yet, but I anticipate improvements in control over my K-5 when I finally do. My situation is different from yours in that I'm happy with my K-5, and the K-1 will have to be significantly better if I am to switch over before the K-5 stops functioning.

Some level of commonality of control between your FF body and your MF body would not be a bad thing, nor would be the ability to use the MF lenses for their central sweet spot on the full (35mm) frame DSLR.

Ultimately, if you can, the best thing is to go into a store and play with a K-1 and be sure it's really for you before you ditch your Sony system. If nothing else, it should feel much smaller and handier than your new 645Z!
04-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
the best thing is to go into a store and play with a K-1 and be sure it's really for you before you ditch your Sony system.
+1 on this. It seems your motivation to switch is mostly ergonomics and use rather than image quality which is fine as I doubt there would be much difference in IQ. But to really evaluate how a camera feels you have to hold it. And going from mirrorless to a DSLR is a big change.

I think Pentax has one of the best layouts and handling of any camera brand out there but everyone has different hands and preferences so find a store with one and pick it up. See if you like the way it handles. At the least find a store with a k-3 or k-3II and try those, reports indicate that the K-1 is not tremendously different than the K-3.
04-20-2016, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peterm1 Quote
Anyone else thinking of moving from Sony to the Pentax K-1?
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

That is a potentially explosive question. There are some very dedicated A7-series users on this site who will question your sanity for even suggesting a move back to an optical viewfinder and larger form factor.

Steve

04-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first advice is to verify the lens selections you need exist.

Second, can you afford to buy back into Sony if it doesn't work out?

If yes and yes, then sure, why not.
04-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
CDW
Site Supporter

I own a 645Z and a 645D and K5/K3 in the past. Presently, I use a GH4, primarily for video and less critical still shooting. I've used my 645 lenses as far back as my Canon days with an adapter on a 5DmkII. The 645 lenses were pretty much the equal, in my opinion, in terms of sharpness and contrast with the Canon L series lenses I was using at the time, the Canon 70-200 f4 being an exception and an extraordinary lens. All that said, I'll probably get a K1 to have a backup with similar ergonomics and menu structure. I'm of the opinion that pixel shift technology may allow the K1 to actually match or outperform the 645Z or any of the other medium format systems, in terms of color gamut and come very close in terms of resolution. Possibly we'll see images with quality that surpass a Foveon sensor at all ISO settings and non of the flaws. Obviously only in shooting situations with no movement and use of a sturdy tripod.
04-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another reason is that it would be easier to stick with similar menus and functions between the 645z and the K-1, although I realize there are many differences (but much more similar than the Sony layout).
I have a 645z and a K-3, and pre-ordered a K-1. There are common elements across all these bodies that I really like and simplifies life. Firstly, they all use the same battery. I can tell you that's a big bonus, particularly when travelling or on a shoot with multiple bodies as you don't necessarily have to carry as many spares. Menus are similar but not exactly the same so I do sometimes have to think for a minute after switching bodies to remember how to do certain things, but it's not a big deal. The other thing I've found is I can move memory cards back and forth without reformatting; again a nice bonus if you suddenly find you're out of memory on a card, don't have a spare, but have room on the card in the other body. You can use the same flashes and remotes also. So, there are a number of advantages in sticking with Pentax that might not occur to you at first.

04-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I certainly don't mean to bash Sony. But using the Leica Q and now the 645z I am seeing how much more enjoyable I find shooting other camera designs. For the most part I have been using the best AF lenses I could find for the Sony (Batis, GM 24-70, 70-200, Canon 11-24), and with these large size lenses I am not really taking advantage of the smaller size of mirrorless cameras so the size advantage over DSLRs isn't really there for me in a big way. I used to use the Canon 5D and Nikon D800e and didn't think I would be interested in coming back to a DSLR but to my surprise I am starting to think about it. Usually I am carrying my A7RII in a camera shoulder bag with a few lenses, and the size/weight advantage over a DSLR is there but it's not huge with the lenses I tend to use.
04-20-2016, 01:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am thinking the same to compliment my Z, but thinking of going to Sony A7 rather than the K-1.

I personally don't think the lens quality is there in Pentax, I mean just look at the lenses that are coming out for the Sony. The new Batis 18 is touted as being the best 18 ever. The loxias, the 90 macro, the Batis 85, new 24-70 is a killer and the new GM 70-200 I saw samples from was amazing.

I primarily want my second system for ultra wide fast lens and tele lenses. The Pentax has the 15-30 (no filters, shame) and the new DFA70-200 is a beast, plus the 150-450 is massive and heavy compared to the competition and it's not really any better, certainly not in the AF department.

Plus the K-1 has no EFC option, which is almost a deal breaker for me.

Anyway, that's where my head is at right now, not sure which way I will go. I know that I want the K-1, but deep down wonder if it's not right.
04-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For the most part I have been using the best AF lenses I could find for the Sony (Batis, GM 24-70, 70-200, Canon 11-24), and with these large size lenses I am not really taking advantage of the smaller size of mirrorless cameras so the size advantage over DSLRs isn't really there for me in a big way.
I assume you could cover most (albeit not all) lenses very well. Instead of the Canon 11-24 L you'd get the HD D FA 15-30 f/2.8 WR which is essentially the Tamron 15-30 and thus maybe the best FF UWA zoom available. Add to that the Pentax HD D FA 24-70 f/2.8 WR, which again is just a Tamron copy. The same very good optical performance, just a tiny bit worse than the Canon equivalent. Then there's the new HD D FA* 70-200 f/2.8 which has been prematurely tested by ePhotozine about a year ago and rated as on the same level optically as the Canon and Nikon equivalents - so it's excellent.

For primes on the highest level there are the great FA Limiteds (31, 43, 77 f/1.8), the Sigma 35 f/1.4 'Art', two great Macro lenses (50 and 100 mm) etc.

So far the choice is a bit less than what you'll be used to from Canon or Nikon, especially in third party options, but the Pentax roadmap is promising five new FF primes from next year on.
04-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been using the Sony A7RII for a while, along with a Leica Q (which I just sold) and a Ricoh GRII. I just bought a Pentax 645z and some nice lenses
wow are you a doctor or lawyer ?
you already use Canon 5D and Nikon D800e and A7rII so you must have an idea on what you need from the k1, I think the best way is to try the K1 yourself and see if it matches your expectation
04-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies. I certainly don't mean to bash Sony. But using the Leica Q and now the 645z I am seeing how much more enjoyable I find shooting other camera designs. For the most part I have been using the best AF lenses I could find for the Sony (Batis, GM 24-70, 70-200, Canon 11-24), and with these large size lenses I am not really taking advantage of the smaller size of mirrorless cameras so the size advantage over DSLRs isn't really there for me in a big way. I used to use the Canon 5D and Nikon D800e and didn't think I would be interested in coming back to a DSLR but to my surprise I am starting to think about it. Usually I am carrying my A7RII in a camera shoulder bag with a few lenses, and the size/weight advantage over a DSLR is there but it's not huge with the lenses I tend to use.
I recommend that you sit tight until you can get your hands on a K-1 and decide whether the interface works for you. And wait for reviews and user reports on the new FF lenses.

Pentax has been touting the K-1 as a robust field camera. On paper it looks that way. You seem to have enough money to take a chance and be an early adopter. I'm inclined to be more cautious. I will decide in a year or two whether I want to choose one of the two systems, or continue to use both.

I've been using an A7r for two years. It has been great for the landscape work that is my main interest. I think the K-1 has better potential as a general use camera. The main reason is that while the Sony EVF is very useful for low-light wide angle work, it is prone to a bit of viewfinder lag in certain situations that would probably be a significant annoyance to some users. I also expect the K-1 to have better weather sealing. I expect IQ would be quite similar between the two cameras, with the possible exception of pixel shift.

I have two points regarding "ergonomics". One is that there is no law that mirrorless gear has to be small. I regard the A7 series as modular. It can be very compact with, say, a Leica rangefinder lens attached. If you want to use a big zoom, just attach the battery grip and you have an appropriate body configuration. I view the K-1 as being a very reasonable size for a DSLR. In terms of user interface, Pentax and Sony are different. However, as a long-term Pentax user I had no difficulty picking up the Sony and figuring out the basics. Within its own sphere, to me the Sony controls make as much sense as Pentax. However, I do tend to be pretty flexible in that regard.

Have fun!
04-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I am going to hold off for now and wait for reviews of the K-1 and will check it out in person somewhere.

Luckily I sold enough prints last year to pay for my equipment (and I buy most things used and sell them for not much less), so my wife is much more understanding! Doesn't mean she is happy every time a new box shows up at the door though
04-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #14

Are you selling landscape prints to the galleries? I'm curious when are you deciding not to use the 645z and use a FF 35mm instead? Are you looking for an alternative lightweight system for when you don't want to lug around the 645Z?(I'm guessing the Leica Q was there for that before you sold it )
04-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
There are common elements across all these bodies that I really like and simplifies life.
Fascinating. None is in itself a system camera but they are all together a system of cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
I'm of the opinion that pixel shift technology may allow the K1 to actually match or outperform the 645Z or any of the other medium format systems, in terms of color gamut and come very close in terms of resolution.
Even if it only comes close, cost and size considerations could make the K-1 a viable alternative to a 645 for some photographers. Of course that will change if we get that hypothetical 100MP 645 successor that's been vaguely hinted at - there's no way a K-1 could keep up with that, especially if it incorporates all the Pentax goodies we know and love.