Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
We'll do another photo walk around? I'll probably book into the Irish Pub up the road like I did last time. I will, however, try to avoid walking into a hole in the footpath again.
A photowalk sounds like a splendid idea Ron. Yes definitely avoid falling into a ditch on the footpath. Sydney city council couldn't possibly afford another phone call from you.😂😂

04-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Thats the Sydney launch, everybody knows the true rigididge'n dinkum launch is on the 14th at Goolwa! (being Goolwa time it's like a week before the Sydney one anyhow).
Hard to think of a better spot outside Tassie for a camera launch, myself. Might be heading that way soon, too, but sadly not on that date, as I'll likely be in Brisbane (there's a little paradox for you). You could always stream your launch party live, so we can all join in. Could be better viewing than some of the YouTube "reviews" we've been seeing lately.
04-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #33
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Camera-Warehouse are offering the usual CRK 1-year warranty. DigiDirect say nothing about the warranty. Teds is offering a 2-year warranty!
Australia has a 2 year minimum statutory warranty which I believe would apply, even if Pentax/CRK officially specify a lesser manufacturer's warranty. I suspect that is why the official warranty is only one year. If people are aware of the statutory warranty, I suspect there would be no hassles with a repair. If they don't know ......
04-21-2016, 05:35 PM   #34
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I'll probably book into the Irish Pub up the road
What's the name of this place Ron? I've thrown my hat in the ring to attend and will be interested in alternatives to driving back to Newcastle after the event.

04-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
PJ1

Where can I find out about this minimum statutory warranty period?
I have searched the government websites and cannot find any mention of a minimum period. Only that consumers have certain guarantees regardless of a Manufacturers warranty.

Peter
04-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
PJ1

Where can I find out about this minimum statutory warranty period?
I have searched the government websites and cannot find any mention of a minimum period. Only that consumers have certain guarantees regardless of a Manufacturers warranty.

Peter
I'm not sure about a minimum statutory warranty as such, but according to The Checkout every product sold in Australia comes with an implied minimum service life that covers consumers. For example, if you bought a computer and the sales person said it had a 3 month warranty then that wouldn't stand up because a consumer could "reasonably" expect to get 2 years use out of it. So if it fails after, say, 13 months then you can expect that to be rectified under the Australian Consumer Law.

As an example, we bought an induction stove top that had problems for up to 3 years after we bought it. The manufacturer said it wasn't covered under warranty any more. I told them that we could expect it to last more than 12 months and they ended up fixing it both times, even though it was outside their "warranty period"
04-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's no fixed statutory warranty. Under the Australian Consumer Law goods have to be of 'acceptable quality' (including 'free from defects' and 'durable') but it depends on the type of product and a range of other circumstances. The goods also need to be fit for the purpose the consumer is buying them for. What it should mean is if after only a year a $2,500 pro camera stops working then it should be under the protection of a statutory warranty no matter what the distributor's warranty says. The same might not be said of a $50 cordless drill from Aldi for example. Also under the Australian Consumer Law the retailer is as responsible as the manufacturer/local distributor so you can take the camera back to either. These warranties are also transferrable to a person who receives the item as a gift. We have quite generous and comprehensive consumer protection laws in Australia and that cost has to be borne somewhere. This is why for something complex like a DSLR I'm happy to spend more for a local warranty.
But isn't it also the case if something is going to go wrong it's usually going to happen within the first few months of use?

04-21-2016, 10:21 PM   #38
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure how this thread became about warranties but...

K10D purchased in 2007. No problems, still working fine.
K7 purchased in 2009. No problems, still working fine.
K5 purchased in 2011. No problems up to time it was stolen in 2012.
K5 replaced by insurance in 2012 still using this one so no problems there either.

I've had no lens or accessories issues either, and whilst technical kit can and does fail I feel okay with a 12 month warranty as being sufficient. The issues with shutters and sensors in the past will hopefully be 'lessons learned' for new models. If similar occurs there will be a lot of noise about it and reparartions made I'm sure. I don't rely on cameras for income, but then additional warranties can usually be purchased for those in need of this, and hopefully a pro-service to back it up. I've bought extra warranties previously like the $100 extra I spent on my Tom Tom car nav unit in 2006. Yep, that still works too.

Now, what's the chance that there will be gear to purchase at this event? They indicate so, but is that just to take orders or to walk out the door with a shiny new camera? Does anyone know?
04-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
snip....
But isn't it also the case if something is going to go wrong it's usually going to happen within the first few months of use?
If you graph the failure rates for electrical products it forms a "bathtub curve" where the highest rates of failure will be either early after purchase (when it will still be under warranty) or towards the end when the product is probably reaching the natural end of its life anyway and likely wouldn't be a warranty issue. Failure rates in the middle are likely to be lower.

This is why extended warranties are usually a waste of time and simply a way for the retailer to make an extra profit on the sale.
04-21-2016, 11:05 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have had a personal message from CRK claiming that pre-orders will be delivered before this event.
So I'm hopeful I'll be playing with my own K-1 when you you guys meet in Sydney.

Enjoy

I'm guessing that is if your pre-order is through CRK for $2899, not if you've pre-ordered through Ted's or anywhere else. Might be looking like a Friday 13th delivery. :-(
04-21-2016, 11:13 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The information I have is that the first *shipment* to CRK is expected before the launch event, but even they do not know the date at this stage. They have promised to let me know when it arrives though, so expect an update....

Whether they prioritise their own pre-orders, or supplying their B&M retailers, is up to them. As I have ordered though a local B&M I hope it's the latter, but we'll have to wait and see
04-21-2016, 11:16 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pqberger Quote
I'm guessing that is if your pre-order is through CRK for $2899, not if you've pre-ordered through Ted's or anywhere else. Might be looking like a Friday 13th delivery. :-(

Not sure how it works. The Ted's store I pre-ordered from said they had already pre-ordered 2 units from CRK (that is, my pre-order didn't trigger a new pre-order request by them to CRK - it was, in effect, an allocation of a pre-existing pre-order). So if they have equal priority in the queue then maybe I'll get mine before the launch too.
04-21-2016, 11:19 PM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The information I have is that the first *shipment* to CRK is expected before the launch event, but even they do not know the date at this stage. They have promised to let me know when it arrives though, so expect an update....

Whether they prioritise their own pre-orders, or supplying their B&M retailers, is up to them. As I have ordered though a local B&M I hope it's the latter, but we'll have to wait and see

Me too.... can only wait for a call from Ted's in Brisbane.
04-22-2016, 02:35 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm interested in why the Oz launch is up there in 'Steak n Kidney', and not here in the 'queen City of the south' and headquarters of CRK. Any theories?
04-22-2016, 02:47 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sydney is where the hip kids hang.
Melbourne is so gold rush.