Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Lol , Ron the really right stuff L-Plates are really well made. hell all their stuff is over engineered. Just wish they released ,Them for K-5 + Grip. ��
I thought the L placards are pink and should be put in the front and rear windows...
This was 15 yrs ago and maybe I mis-remember what I was told
This would have been around Melbourne if things vary by state.. territory..

---------- Post added 05-26-16 at 04:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
Here's the answer about the small screw that is included with the RRD BK1-L:

<i>&quot;That small M3 screw is a safety stop screw to use with the base plate ...
That makes sense, thanks

05-26-2016, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Lol , Ron the really right stuff L-Plates are really well made. hell all their stuff is over engineered. Just wish they released ,Them for K-5 + Grip. ��
Well, there is this process: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242751-k-3-l-plates-k3-wit...ml#post3646660

They also have mestos: Pentax K3 L-Plate for Grip only
05-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks , I saw they have the K-5 with Grip L-Plates and , so I asked a Friend call the Mob: in Korea and she was told i paid by Paypal you get a 30% Discount.

mestos: Pentax K5 / K7 L-Plate for Grip only
05-27-2016, 06:47 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a generic L-bracket that I bought from Acratech when I bought a tripod head. Last weekend I picked up a travel tripod that came with a head on it, along with a very generic plate (no lip so the camera can slip). Since that's about all I had, I put my RRS macro rails on the tripod, the plate from the tripod on the camera and attached the L-bracket. There's far too many knobs and levers - I sure do want to get the RRS L-bracket, but must wait for payday.

05-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I have a generic L-bracket that I bought from Acratech when I bought a tripod head. Last weekend I picked up a travel tripod that came with a head on it, along with a very generic plate (no lip so the camera can slip). Since that's about all I had, I put my RRS macro rails on the tripod, the plate from the tripod on the camera and attached the L-bracket. There's far too many knobs and levers - I sure do want to get the RRS L-bracket, but must wait for payday.
All that deserves a cherry on top, alongside, or in between :^)

The rubber 'round the knobs on my ballhead wore/tore off. A set screw under the rubber is a bit sharp so I wrapped the knobs in colored electrical tape. It is fash.

I used red for the clamp knob... Your knobs have scallops so maybe tape won't work so well. If you worry about grabbing the wrong knob, though, colored tape somewhere might help..?
06-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
.....Hummm this seems actually quite flexible and light :

RRS - QD Strap & Plate

Interested to know if it fits well on K-1's very thick body...
So, as i didn't get confirmation of K-1 compatibility with this small plate, here is what i bought :

It fits perfectly in RRS clamps, and durably with K-1 due to cork film, with no interference to rear screen :

One drawback (besides the fact that on monopod, you need to modify the plate's position) is there is no screw hole for classic threaded rod.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 06-15-2016 at 12:29 PM.
06-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Hi, just got this message from RRS re. BDQS :

"Hello,

The Pentax K-1 is too thick for the BQDS. We’re working on a clamp which should be out around the end of the summer, which will be able to attach onto our existing plates to allow users to attach the new QD straps.

Thanks!

Scott Nuss"

Interesting, but more stuff again

06-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by turff Quote
I am sure I am not the only one to receive the RRS L plate by now but I will give my initial impressions.

Like all RRS products it fits great and has zero wiggle. I had been using a "universal" L bracket for my K5 and now my K1 and it certainly fits the camera much better. Until other companies come out with some K1 specific plates this will probably be the best option. I do have a couple minor quibbles that I will likely not even realize once I use it enough. The bracket sticks off the back of the camera ever so slightly on the vertical portion of the plate. I have small hands/fingers and find this still makes it a bit tougher to pull the screen out. Those with larger fingers definitely may have an issue with this. Also, because of the way I hold the camera it makes it more difficult to engage the LV button. Again, this is due to my smaller hands and the grip I am accustomed to using but I imagine after some adjustment time this would not be an issue.

Honestly, there was really no other way for them to design this plate, however, due to the placement of the ports. Their options were to either design it to stick off the back or to block the ports and the prior definitely makes more sense.

What are others finding on this plate?
I have this L plate and feel the vertical part is set too far back and am disappointed. It gets in the way of the LCD screen. I understand they wanted the ports to be accessible, but I have never used the HDMI, DC in or USB ports and would prefer it be centered on the side. Since it is modular, maybe I can find another vertical plate that sits forward. Oh to have a machine shop. I am going to keep an eye out for a better solution.
03-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #39
Pentaxian

So how's the experience of all the RRS l-bracket owners?

And what's the advantage (beside the costs) compared to the Kirk plate?
Kirk plate for K-1 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 03-28-2017 at 02:51 PM.
11-09-2017, 06:00 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hi, just got this message from RRS re. BDQS:
"The Pentax K-1 is too thick for the BQDS. We’re working on a clamp which should be out around the end of the summer, which will be able to attach onto our existing plates to allow users to attach the new QD straps"
Any updates from RRS?
11-12-2017, 02:42 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Not afaik.