Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
RRS L-plate for K-1

The website has the plate listed as pre-order for $160

I called the RRS people.
They have not managed to secure a K-1 and must wait until it is available to the public.
Then, they will design the plate and this will take 4-6 weeks.

I like the L-plate

04-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great news. I'll be ordering one tonight.
04-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Awesome! I won't be ordering a K-1 right away, maybe in a few months. But when I do I'll be ordering the RRS L-plate at the same time. I have one "permanently" attached to my K-3. It fits like a glove.
04-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Do they say if going to be available one plate for the Body+Grip?

04-22-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Excellent news indeed !
RRS is imho the best and exhaustive system.
04-22-2016, 03:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Do they say if going to be available one plate for the Body+Grip?

I didn't think to ask about that.
They may, but I don't think they make a plate for the K5+grip and that body was available for quite a while...
04-22-2016, 03:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

No indeed.
For body+grip you still can use some standard plate.

05-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RRS L Bracket almost ready

The Really Right Stuff L Bracket is about to ship. I just received this message:

K-1 Plate Update
Hi Michael,
Thanks so much for your pre-order of an L-plate for your new Pentax K-1 camera. We wanted to let you know that these plates will start shipping late next week, and we'll fill orders in the order in which they were received.
Our pre-order listing priced the L-plate at $160. But the final plate designs are confirmed and actual costs have been calculated. We are pleased to tell you that prices have been reduced:
• BK1 base plate, $60
• BK1 L-Plate Set, $120
You don't need to do anything; your pending order has already been modified to reflect the new lower prices.
One of the new features that we incorporated into our BK1 plate is a new socket that accepts a low-profile "Quick Detach" camera strap system. The heavy-duty push-button QD mount is quick, solid, and secure. Our new strap of choice is the Magpul© MS4 shoulder sling because it has a lot of features we love, and it is 100% made in USA.
05-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Our new strap of choice is the Magpul© MS4 shoulder sling because it has a lot of features we love, and it is 100% made in USA.
Nice. I already own a couple of them for different rifles. I think I have an extra green sling in a box.
05-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The Really Right Stuff L Bracket is about to ship. I just received this message:

• BK1 base plate, $60
• BK1 L-Plate Set, $120
</b>
Hmm.. a very different design.
This plate is modular.

The plate for the K-5 (and others, I presume) were one piece. My plate is tapped so I can bolt a rail to it. I prefer this for my use over buying a rail with built-in clamp. The L-bracket for the K-1 looks to have no screw hole in it so I would have to use a clamp to attach it to a rail... this requires me to add a little more weight and bulk to my gear.

I imagine the bolt holding the two pieces together will occasionally need tightening. Every other thing I have requires periodic attention so this isn't really a problem; allen keys are easy enough to tuck away.

The change omitting the screw hole is significant to me.
Plus, I wonder if the new design will be heavier.. I imagine so looking at the drawing.
05-14-2016, 06:53 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
Hmm.. a very different design.
This plate is modular.

The plate for the K-5 (and others, I presume) were one piece. My plate is tapped so I can bolt a rail to it. I prefer this for my use over buying a rail with built-in clamp. The L-bracket for the K-1 looks to have no screw hole in it so I would have to use a clamp to attach it to a rail... this requires me to add a little more weight and bulk to my gear.

I imagine the bolt holding the two pieces together will occasionally need tightening. Every other thing I have requires periodic attention so this isn't really a problem; allen keys are easy enough to tuck away.

The change omitting the screw hole is significant to me.
Plus, I wonder if the new design will be heavier.. I imagine so looking at the drawing.
Yes, I am a bit concerned also. I pre-ordered it because the RSS brackets have always been so sleek and minimal in size. We will see in a week or two. I have my fingers crossed. I have had these two part brackets on other cameras and they have been pretty solid even from no-name makers.
05-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Same for me, this design has several drawbacks ; I might prefer using one of my existant lens plates.
For now waiting for users' experiences.
05-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Same for me, this design has several drawbacks ; I might prefer using one of my existant lens plates.
For now waiting for users' experiences.
I called for some more infos.

The plate for the K-5 is very different from the plate for the K-1
(there are pictures on their website)
The reason for this is just a change in philosophy. They make the plate modular now so one may use the L-bit or not. Whether I have the L-portion mounted or not, I will carry it in case I need it. So, it will save so weight for me, but it could be nice if someone started with a plate and later wanted to add the L-part.

Okay.

One thing I liked about the plate for the K-5 is that both feet are tapped so that thing can be screwed to it. The drawing of the K-1 plate does not show the screw hole. There will be a screw hole. This is good. I failed to ask if both feet would be tapped... I imagine so. I did ask if the battery could be changed with the plate on. I apologised for the question... The lady said they wouldn't make something that would prohibit the battery being changed. So, I imagine they will tap both feet.

I didn't ask how much the plate weighs. I imagine it weighs more. I will find out...
They are preparing to ship pre-orders.
I ordered the L-plate today. She said it could ship in 1-2 weeks.

+ i will always have the L-portion mounted because i like the handle on the left side of the camera that the K-5 bracket forms. unless this new design is bulky.. then i might mount it only when i need it.
05-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just received notification of shipment. Will report on the plate when it (hopefully) arrives later this week. RRS usually produces a quality product and I'm hopeful this design lives up to the expectations.
05-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Thank you Tan68, indeed i think i will go for the base to begin with, if it's got the additionnal screw hole.
I often take my lighter tripod when wanting to keep light (or when i have to fly) and this hole is so practical in such a case... no need to remove the plate.