Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2016, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Street is more widere than 35mm, but yes why not
I dunno...35mm is the classic focal length for street photography on 35mm film* and what I use when shooting that genre. 50mm is also traditional and works nicely when you need working distance. 28mm is used, mostly for effect, but requires that you be (much) closer to your subjects (think Ricoh GR II). 24mm will work (think DA 15/4 Limited on APS-C) in close quarters though you might get punched in the nose.**

I like to take note of the focal lengths used by my two favorite PF street photographers, @Rense and @jgredline (Javier). Javier does primarily street and Rense dips into that well frequently. Rense is known for using a Pentax 6x7 with waist level finder

For Javier: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jgredline/

For Rense: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rensehaveman/

Steve

* The reason may be somewhat accidental and somewhat practical. Before retro-focus wide angles became available, the 35mm focal length was pretty much the widest lens available for interchangeable lens rangefinder cameras. On the practical side, a 35mm allows for decent DOF at moderate aperture (f/8) at a reasonable working distance. (Hyperfocal for f/8 is at 17' with 18' DOF at 10' distance.)

** It is good to be at least an arm's length away when shooting without permission. Two or three running strides is even better. 50mm buys you a fair amount of nose insurance (50mm example HERE)

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-22-2016 at 09:25 AM.
04-22-2016, 08:44 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I dunno...35mm is the classic focal length for street photography on 35mm film* and what I use when shooting that genre. 50mm is also traditionally common and works nicely when you need working distance. 28mm is used, mostly for effect, but requires that you be (much) closer to your subjects (think Ricoh GR II). 24mm will work (think DA 15/4 Limited on APS-C) in close quarters though you might get punched in the nose.**

I like to take note of the focal lengths used by my two favorite PF street photographers, @Rense and @jgredline (Javier). Javier does primarily street and Rense dips into that well frequently. Rense is known for using a Pentax 6x7 with waist level finder

For Javier: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jgredline/

For Rense: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rensehaveman/

Steve

* The reason may be somewhat accidental and somewhat practical. Before retro-focus wide angles became available, the 35mm focal length was pretty much the widest lens available for interchangeable lens rangefinder cameras. On the practical side, a 35mm allows for decent DOF at moderate aperture (f/8) at a reasonable working distance. (Hyperfocal for f/8 is at 17' with 18' DOF at 10' distance.)

** It is good to be at least an arm's length away when shooting without permission. Two or three running strides is even better. 50mm buys you a fair amount of nose insurance (50mm example HERE)
Haha, thank you Steve, too much honour!

I have tried many lenses in my street photography, but these days I tend to use shorter focal lengths (say 35mm on a FF). I use a fujifilm x100t, which changed my shooting habit in the streets a lot!!! On my Pentax K-5, I love street shooting at 10mm ....

And I think you'd better take a prime than a zoom lens. In street photography, it's all about speed and decisions have to be taken in a split second. So I set my camera and lens in a 'Idonthavetothinkmodus' , so I can focus on what is happening around me. A zoomlens distracts, because I constantly keep turning the zoom-ring... And gone is the moment. And another point: I try to blend in (even with a 6x7 ) and I try to keep away from everything that shouts "PHOTOG, PHOTOG!!" A prime is small, so it's less obtrusive....

Just my two cents....
04-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

K-1 and 40XS ? Totally unobtrusive from a lens perspective. Still totally a DSLR body though.
04-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-1 and 40XS ? Totally unobtrusive from a lens perspective. Still totally a DSLR body though.
I think I'd rather have a bit of lens to better balance the weight of something like the K-1, especially since street photo work usually involves moving around.

DA 35 "plastic fantastic" seems like a nice prime for street use with the K-1. Crazy thing doesn't weigh anything and the focal width & magnification seem about right.

For a zoom, I'd want something about the same physical size as my 18-135. Something like a 24-45 FF zoom perhaps? I just don't need the zoom range when I'm in the city really. And I'd really want serious low-light performance. Not sure if this exists with AF. But I'm not in the market for a K-1 so this is just wasted mashing of keys.

04-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep! But one has to acknowledge that there are whole tribes out there shooting street with DSLR's with good results!!
04-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Based on my limited experience if the 20-40 was a full frame lens at those focal lengths then yes it would probably be pretty good focal length wise. To me at least that would be a very interesting combination merely because on the wide end... the 20mm side on a FF the horizontal field of view would be 94 degrees vs for the widest thing now is only 88 degrees (the 15mm)...plus it being a zoom will give you a lot of flexibility.

But then again we are talking about another mythical lens that does not exist... no such thing as a full frame 20-40...
04-22-2016, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What about the F 24-50? Small, unobtrusive. Same length as the DA 35 ltd with the hood extended.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 1520  Photo 
04-22-2016, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #23

I'd really like to see that combo, preferably with the batterygrip attached
04-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
But then again we are talking about another mythical lens that does not exist... no such thing as a full frame 20-40...
Actually such a lens does exist, and with a fixed 2.8 aperture; Sigma 20-40mm F2.8 EX DG Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

The only issue with it that I see is the physical size. I'd take a few mm off the wide end to try and help reduce lens body diameter. I don't know how much a variable aperture would help the thing out size wise.
04-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Actually such a lens does exist, and with a fixed 2.8 aperture; Sigma 20-40mm F2.8 EX DG Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

The only issue with it that I see is the physical size. I'd take a few mm off the wide end to try and help reduce lens body diameter. I don't know how much a variable aperture would help the thing out size wise.
Good catch.