Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Rubbish. You can't put detail back where it wasn't in the first place.

Depends on your level of tolerance. Corners seldom hold critical information for me...

Attached Images

04-23-2016, 11:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
Depends on your level of tolerance. Corners seldom hold critical information for me...
I completely agree. But then you may as well just accept it as a crop lens.
04-24-2016, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For the DA35ltd macro, it seems reasonable enough to do a 5x7 aspect ratio crop and have that in consideration when composing the photo.
04-24-2016, 12:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
For the DA35ltd macro, it seems reasonable enough to do a 5x7 aspect ratio crop and have that in consideration when composing the photo.
Fair point. I often prefer 4:3 over 3:2 and that would largely sort it.

04-24-2016, 01:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Quite right

I'm just labouring the point to avoid people buying this lens thinking it will work well on full frame. It is marginal at best - despite the solid cut-off in the extreme corners, there is quite marked loss of light and detail well into the frame. The amount of cropping required to eliminate it completely would get you back to APS-H at least.

But don't get me wrong - it's a fantastic lens on the K-3. There's no way I'll be getting rid of mine as long as I have a crop body.
So much aps-h in this thread......one wonders.
04-24-2016, 01:43 AM   #21
Site Supporter

I completely agree. But then you may as well just accept it as a crop lens.

Agreed. It's not a proper FF lens. But I would not have an issue using it, knowing it will vignette at the extremes.

It's interesting that the Vignette is not symmetrical...
04-24-2016, 01:55 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So much aps-h in this thread......one wonders.
Keep trying Ron. It ain't gonna happen
04-24-2016, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Vignetting wasn't apparent to me at all in the LX viewfinder (95%), so it rather depends on what you call "heavily", but it obviously does. This is why variable crop markings in the K-1 viewfinder would have been nice to have, not to mention in-camera file cropping. Maybe with the K-1ii…
The problem is the viewfinder is not meant to check the quality and sharpness of a lens.

If you want to test a lens on a film body then buy some 25iso high quality film, shoot with a tripod at different appertures and focussing distances, ask them to be printed at least something like 20x30" and look at the pictures with a magnifying glass.

The K1 is meant to shoot at 40x60" and more. It is mean at shooting 3200 isos and more... It is designed to deliver stunning quality. It is not designed to shoot APSC. It is meant to shoot FF.

There an APSC compatibility mode to ease the transition and because it is quite easy to implement. But when working in APSC mode, the usable viewfinder part much smaller (0.71X vs 0.92X) than equivalent APSC bodies, the resolution is not the same (15MP vs 24MP), and the burst speed is not on the same level neither. Overall the experience is much worse than shooting APSC on an APSC body.

I am sure many people will spend hours, days, months to test their APSC lenses and how the corners are "not so bad" and that if you crop manually in PP to APS-H size it is quite ok, but that doesn't concentrate on taking nice pictures... I mean taking great picture is what a camera is about no? Even more a high end camera?

And because most reviewers will not do that, that is testing APSC lenses on FF body, nobody will ever see the terrible number some of the APSC lenses have on the border on an FF and because they continue to share picture at websize and print 4x6 or 8x10" the picture might look just fine once stopped down to get rid of the vigneting...

People will explain how bad the tamron 28-75 FF zoom is on borders, or how the new kit lens 28-105 is not enough, how you have to buy the Pentax branded 70-200 instead of the much cheaper tamron one, but they'll keep using their APSC lenses on the K1... That so funny.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-24-2016 at 02:56 AM.
04-24-2016, 04:04 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The problem is the viewfinder is not meant to check the quality and sharpness of a lens.

If you want to test a lens on a film body then buy some 25iso high quality film, shoot with a tripod at different appertures and focussing distances, ask them to be printed at least something like 20x30" and look at the pictures with a magnifying glass.
Like I said, I was checking for vignetting.
04-24-2016, 04:22 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
but they'll keep using their APSC lenses on the K1... That so funny.
Many of them are still wonderful on FF, you only have to look at tests people have done for years first on film then on third-party digital and now on the K-1 itself.