Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 03:41 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Top control knobs.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Top wheels are pretty useless, on previous DSLR (K-3 and earlier), the front and back wheel already can do the same functions. Those two wheels added on the top are just a marketing gimmick because there are already two wheels at the back and front like it is on the K-3, and if you look at video show casing the K-1, those top wheel are barely used at all. My guess is that those two top wheels will be gone on the next camera model, and that the fancy tilt display will also be replaced by a normal tilt display. It's not because a product is different that it is better, differences should bring an advantage, instead of making the design more complex without benefit.
Each to his own. I am finding the top control wheels useful, and encouraging me to use features.

The multiway monitor is genius! I never used a camera with an articulated screen and didn't think I would need one, but I am finding it useful and using it. For me these ARE benefits.

I suspect the next Pentax full frame camera WILL lack some of these refinements. and be overall LOWER specification to make Pentax Full frame an aggressive player in the mass market!

05-04-2016, 03:49 AM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
Would you be so kind to forward the concerns expressed by not so few forum members about the problems between the K-1 and the Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II?
Surely this is a problem that ought to be addressed by Sigma rather than Pentax?

I am sure they will be working on a fix if it is at all feasible. The K1 is very new, So it may take independent manufacturers a little time to bring their products into line.
Even the Silkypix processing suite that came with the K1 has had an update so that the 15-30 can be supported.
05-04-2016, 03:52 AM   #78
Veteran Member

I can always forward those concerns But I'm pretty sure, first FW update that are coming soon, will fix most problems.
05-04-2016, 04:11 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
Each to his own. I am finding the top control wheels useful, and encouraging me to use features.

The multiway monitor is genius! I never used a camera with an articulated screen and didn't think I would need one, but I am finding it useful and using it. For me these ARE benefits.

I suspect the next Pentax full frame camera WILL lack some of these refinements. and be overall LOWER specification to make Pentax Full frame an aggressive player in the mass market!
I agree entirely, I would possibly have used the top wheels had they been functional with the screen off, But you are correct in saying that the front and rear wheels are perfectly adequate! Still, Maybe it`s good to have the option as it may suite some photographers?

I am a convert to the articulated screen having watched a Canon user next to me getting soaked by waves as she knelt down to get a low viewpoint. Whereas I was able to take the shot standing above my tripod!
Though the light`s on the rear of the screen failed to function on a couple of occasions, (The front one worked without any problem)

05-04-2016, 04:13 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far I set the smart wheel for exposure compensation. Makes for fast easy adjustments through the viewfinder. Finding it very useful myself.
05-04-2016, 04:15 AM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I can always forward those concerns But I'm pretty sure, first FW update that are coming soon, will fix most problems.
Yes indeed. I was lucky enough to have three of the new Pentax lenses plus a couple of older F/F lenses ready for when the K1 was released. I gave up on independent lenses back in 1977!
05-04-2016, 05:43 AM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteL Quote
Surely this is a problem that ought to be addressed by Sigma rather than Pentax?

I am sure they will be working on a fix if it is at all feasible. The K1 is very new, So it may take independent manufacturers a little time to bring their products into line.
Even the Silkypix processing suite that came with the K1 has had an update so that the 15-30 can be supported.
Maybe, but since the lens already works without a glitch with my K-5, I find it unacceptable that a far more advanced camera is not compatible at all. If compatibility was lost somewhere between several models of camera development, and the lens stayed exactly the same, it would be reasonable to assume that it's not entirely up to the lens alone, right?

05-04-2016, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

This is a Sigma lense, Pentax dont have to make sure other brand work with their camera.
05-04-2016, 06:54 AM   #84

They don't have to, but it's irresponsible and disrespectful not to.
05-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Perhaps Pentax should freeze all their development - autofocus, flash protocols - which might impact third party equipment using reverse engineered protocols?
Otherwise there's always the risk of not being "compatible" with incorrect implementations.
05-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #86
Veteran Member

I disagree 100%.

Pentax do not own Sigma. Sigma is a competitor. When an OEM have to make sure their competitor product work in their own product . Sorry but in real world , that a dream
05-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I disagree 100%.

Pentax do not own Sigma. Sigma is a competitor. When an OEM have to make sure their competitor product work in their own product . Sorry but in real world , that a dream

Pentax K-5 --- Sigma AF 105MM F2.8 DG Macro EX --- Sigma AF 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC
Tamrom SP AF10-24 f3.5-4.5 DI II Wow!!Sigma 50-500mm 4-6.3 APO DG -Tamron TC2X Pz-AF BBAR MC7
I think you would be at least a little upset if your next camera didn't work with third party equipment.

Just a thought...
05-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #88
Forum Member

Sigma has reverse engineered Pentax' mount and protocols, so it's really on Sigma to make sure the firmware gets updated to work.
05-04-2016, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe, but since the lens already works without a glitch with my K-5, I find it unacceptable that a far more advanced camera is not compatible at all.
Sorry, disagree 100%. This is Sigma problem, not Pentax. Most Sigma lenses work fine, only this one does not, that tells me Sigma did something different or bent the rules on this one. And the same lens had problems on k-5 and k-3 until Sigma did a firmware update. So again, Sigma problem.
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
I think you would be at least a little upset if your next camera didn't work with third party equipment.
That's why I don't buy third party lenses. It is the third party's responsibility to make their gear work with the first party, not the other way around.
05-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #90

You're making this sound like we're discussing a faulty lens, which it isn't. All forum members who complained about the lack of compatibility have used this lens successfully on their previous Pentax made cameras. They've recently paid good money for a new camera made by the same manufacturer, and it does not operate as it's supposed to.

May I remind you all that the camera freezes! And that it's brand new. A thing bought completely new should not behave this way. It's something that has to be fixed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash Pentax, I've been using their camera's for a long time and I will buy the K-1 in spite of this problem, and I actually own the dreaded Sigma lens, but be honest with yourself, is it acceptable for a completely new product to freeze like this?