Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2016, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-1 new firmware suggestions

I hope that Ricoh could pay attention to our thread

1. To use 3rd wheel for choosing AF points
2. To give back 1:1 crop mode....

Last edited by ogl; 04-23-2016 at 08:47 AM.
04-23-2016, 05:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

3. More selectable crop modes in between APS-C and FF to allow the user to choose one that fits the individual lens. Some lenses don't quite cover FF but much more than just APS-C.
04-23-2016, 05:50 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Image compare like the 645D
04-23-2016, 05:58 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Top wheels are pretty useless, on previous DSLR (K-3 and earlier), the front and back wheel already can do the same functions. Those two wheels added on the top are just a marketing gimmick because there are already two wheels at the back and front like it is on the K-3, and if you look at video show casing the K-1, those top wheel are barely used at all. My guess is that those two top wheels will be gone on the next camera model, and that the fancy tilt display will also be replaced by a normal tilt display. It's not because a product is different that it is better, differences should bring an advantage, instead of making the design more complex without benefit.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-23-2016 at 06:04 AM.
04-23-2016, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

EFC shutter.
04-23-2016, 06:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I hope that Ricoh could pay attention at our thread

2. To give back 1:1 crop mode....
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
3. More selectable crop modes in between APS-C and FF to allow the user to choose one that fits the individual lens. Some lenses don't quite cover FF but much more than just APS-C.
My Panasonic Lumix LX100 has the following easily-selected crop formats: 1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9.
If the K-1 had APS-C, plus each of the above using the full width and/or full height, I doubt if I would ever need more than that!

(I imagine that user-defined crop formats would be a problem, because of the need for an overlay in the viewfinder.)
04-23-2016, 06:13 AM   #7

Studio flash synchronization with pixel shift (please at least work on developing the capability for some future FF product model).

04-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
Studio flash synchronization with pixel shift (please at least work on developing the capability for some future FF product model).
I suspect the problem here is that the camera has no way to tell if the flash has been recharged and is ready to fire again. You'd need an adjustable delay or something for that. I'm not sure how long the buffer can hold information, whether it works like RAM or temporary solid state storage.
04-23-2016, 06:20 AM - 5 Likes   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Top wheels are pretty useless, on previous DSLR (K-3 and earlier), the front and back wheel already can do the same functions. Those two wheels added on the top are just a marketing gimmick because there are already two wheels at the back and front like it is on the K-3, and if you look at video show casing the K-1, those top wheel are barely used at all. My guess is that those two top wheels will be gone on the next camera model, and that the fancy tilt display will also be replaced by a normal tilt display. It's not because a product is different that it is better, differences should bring an advantage, instead of making the design more complex without benefit.
Front wheel = Shutter speed, Back wheel = Aperture, Top wheel = ISO. I will use this combo alot. No need to depress ISO-button and use back wheel anymore.

The display is geniusly designed. Perfect for night sky shooting, low angle shooting. I really like the fact that it is not a "normal" design that only moves angular.

A big advantage on both I think.
04-23-2016, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1080 output at 50-100 mbps. Even better, add 4K.
04-23-2016, 06:31 AM   #11

An intelligent solution could be great, but even a dumb solution for studio stills could be appreciated. An example of a dumb solution could be a selectable option to capture each pixel shift image with flash discharge signal every x/y sec (e.g. 1 second). In the dumb case, the camera is entitled to assume the flash successfully fired and recharged. When the light required for total exposure is divided into 4 separate flashes the recycle speed is also improved.
04-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
My Panasonic Lumix LX100 has the following easily-selected crop formats: 1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9.
I was thinking more along the lines of 1.5 (APS-C crop), 1.4, 1.3, 1.2, 1.1 and 'no crop'.

You then take your technically not FF glass and evaluate it in order to find your personal sweet spot in terms of vignetting, edge sharpness etc.
04-23-2016, 06:43 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Forum Member

Implement automatic AF fine tune, like Nikon began in their recent cameras (cf. Maximum sharpness: Nikon's automated AF Fine Tune explained: Digital Photography Review) and as I already suggested more than one year ago (cf. RIAC forum)
04-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I suspect I will use the Crop position quite a bit. Just as I often want to be able to zoom a lens rapidly as the subject changes in front of me, so I like the idea of being able to (sort of) zoom the camera rapidly for the same reason.
I like the idea of have a full range of angles, for example from the wide (but with low burst rate) "150mm in FF mode" to the narrow (with higher burst rate and smaller raw file size) "450mm in APS-C mode".

I also like the idea of the CH/CL position, switching rapidly between single and continuous shooting. This gives a hint about why I think I will like this feature: I do a lot of action photography, where I want to be able to adapt the camera to a rapidly changing subject.

(Nowadays I don't use spectacles while shooting. Therefore I can barely read the LCD panel on the top. But I'm sure I will be able to read the letters on the Smart Function dial, just as I can read those on the Mode dial in order to set User Modes. The combination of those two dials should be very useful to me).
04-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I suspect the problem here is that the camera has no way to tell if the flash has been recharged and is ready to fire again. You'd need an adjustable delay or something for that. I'm not sure how long the buffer can hold information, whether it works like RAM or temporary solid state storage.
4 flashes mounted in a modifier triggered sequentially. Ricoh could also develop a special flash pack with 4 bulbs.