Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2016, 11:05 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extending the astrotracer function would need the camera to be on a tracking mount which would kick in while the previous astrotracer data is being read from the buffer. Given the Go-To capabilities of current telescope mounts, this could be possible but this kind of coordination between camera and mount would likely lead to an astronomical (sorry) price point. The camera firmware would also need to do panorama-type star matching if the object is a finished product image. Otherwise, it would be up to the camera operator to merge the frames in post.

---------- Post added 04-23-16 at 11:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Pimontel Quote
I would suggest adding a menu like interval shooting for this:

How many shots <xx>
Delay/interval <xx>sec.

Done.
Page 62 of the K-1 manual: "In such cases, you can set [Standby Interval] in [13 Interval Shooting Options] of the C2 menu so that every picture is taken at the set intervals after each exposure ends."

It seems they have seen the light for this function.

04-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #32
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I think the first thing I will do when I get my K-1 is to go through the entire menu and make the same settings that I have on my K-3II. (And they in turn were derived from the settings in my K-5IIs).

Where possible, I want my cameras to work in a similar way. because it makes things much easier for me. I have been generating my own profiles to use in Lightroom and Photoshop for years, for the same reason. As a result, my cameras tend to have similar colour-rendition.
I've always thought cameras should feature configuration import/export/sync feature - both for when you upgrade and for primary/backup cameras. etc. Could be as easy as just writing it to a SD card or as fancy as using NFC/wi-fi/app/ etc.

---------- Post added 04-23-16 at 11:47 AM ----------

Some random wishes I have for firmware improvements are:

Make the green button function customizable (both assign some other function to the green button and the "green" function to some other button). In most shooting modes/situations there's no need to use the green function, yet that button is in the most convenient place on the camera where the thumb naturally sits. I'd love to have the "AF" button there for example.

Automatic AF micro adjust (as others already suggested in the thread) should be a standard feature.
Display focusing distance for AF lenses (I'm not sure if Pentax's AF system provide such information so might not be doable in firmware only)

Option to switch to stopped down metering/operation with K-mount lenses , at least in LV (like holding the Optical Preview switch in place)
Display the current focal length on the LCD and in the OVF - useful with zooms and MF lenses (reminds you to set the correct FL for shake reduction after changing lenses).
Write Focal Length used for shake reduction in EXIF + also option to dial in the user Aperture value with the dial and store that in the exif as well (useful with old lenses)
Menu to register presets for MF lenses by name - FL for shake reduction, corrections for JPEG, etc - like in Ricoh GXR and some other cameras.
04-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Top wheels are pretty useless, on previous DSLR (K-3 and earlier), the front and back wheel already can do the same functions. Those two wheels added on the top are just a marketing gimmick because there are already two wheels at the back and front like it is on the K-3, and if you look at video show casing the K-1, those top wheel are barely used at all. My guess is that those two top wheels will be gone on the next camera model, and that the fancy tilt display will also be replaced by a normal tilt display. It's not because a product is different that it is better, differences should bring an advantage, instead of making the design more complex without benefit.
May be that it is useless for your personal way of photography, for me it seems to be veray usefull.

I like the third wheel, because I can control now iso, speed and aperture
I like the way to select the crop mode.
Maybe there will be some modifikations in the future, which elements should be there.

The Idea of this tilt display i'll like, because it keeps the axis.
-------------------------
I would like much have a mode to set the area of sharpness.
  • press shutter half way first time. the nearest point to be sharp
  • press shutter half way second time the point at the far end will be selected
  • The camera sets now Aperture and distance to get it all sharp
  • press the shutter full down to take the photo.
04-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Display focusing distance for AF lenses (I'm not sure if Pentax's AF system provide such information so might not be doable in firmware only)
The lens provides such information. It is visible in the EXIF. But it is not precise : there are only eight possible values for the distance. You can see it by using ExifTool.

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Write Focal Length used for shake reduction in EXIF
When this focal length is transmitted by the lens, it is in the EXIF. You can see it by using ExifTool (but not for K-3, the way it is stored in the EXIF has not been reverse engineered).
When this focale length has been manually set (for old lenses) I don't think that it is in the EXIF, but if I had such an old lens I could check.

04-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ptitboul Quote
When this focal length has been manually set (for old lenses) I don't think that it is in the EXIF, but if I had such an old lens I could check.
My K-30 does record this datum in the Exif.
04-23-2016, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

New firmware suggestions:

1. Selectable colours for focus peaking; and
2. Mechanical SR for video.
04-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #37
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My K-30 does record this datum in the Exif.
Actually, you are right - it is recorded in the EXIF.

04-23-2016, 07:23 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
It seems they have seen the light for this function.
Good idea. There are use cases for both behaviors.

Steve
04-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ptitboul Quote
When this focal length is transmitted by the lens, it is in the EXIF. You can see it by using ExifTool (but not for K-3, the way it is stored in the EXIF has not been reverse engineered).
When this focale length has been manually set (for old lenses) I don't think that it is in the EXIF, but if I had such an old lens I could check.
If the focal length is available to the camera, either by manual or automated means, it will be stored in the EXIF*. I believe this is the case for all Pentax dSLRs having SR.

Steve

* Standard EXIF tag, not Pentax-specific
04-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
1080 output at 50-100 mbps. Even better, add 4K.
+ 1 !!

04-24-2016, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #41

I would like to see an elapsed time counter on the lcd screen when using the B (Bulb) setting.
04-24-2016, 07:08 AM   #42
Veteran Member

In camera focus stacking (RAW). Love to see this for the K-3 as well. I hate focusing rails and as many shots as I take and as hard as I try I still get blurry bits.

Last edited by HopelessTogger; 04-24-2016 at 07:42 AM.
04-24-2016, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #43

Astrotracer: declination and right ascension

I would really like to see the K1 / Astrotracer having the ability to display declination and right ascension of the point aimed at. The information necessary to do this is available per definition, otherwise the astrotracer would not work.
Declination and right ascension are an (amateur) astronomers must have tool to easily and properly point a camera or telescope to a desired celestial object.
04-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #44
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by 6718HX Quote
I would really like to see the K1 / Astrotracer having the ability to display declination and right ascension of the point aimed at. The information necessary to do this is available per definition, otherwise the astrotracer would not work.
Declination and right ascension are an (amateur) astronomers must have tool to easily and properly point a camera or telescope to a desired celestial object.
I also "need" this functionality. Why is it not there to begin with?
04-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #45

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Extending the astrotracer function would need the camera to be on a tracking mount which would kick in while the previous astrotracer data is being read from the buffer. Given the Go-To capabilities of current telescope mounts, this could be possible but this kind of coordination between camera and mount would likely lead to an astronomical (sorry) price point. The camera firmware would also need to do panorama-type star matching if the object is a finished product image. Otherwise, it would be up to the camera operator to merge the frames in post.
This would not require a tracking mount. The camera knows exactly how it moved the sensor, so it could simply compute the transform (translation and rotation) to align multiple frames, it would not need to match the images. It is true that the edges of the image would not stack as deeply, or at all, so this would only be practical for a small number of frames.