Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
-------------------------
I would like much have a mode to set the area of sharpness.
  • press shutter half way first time. the nearest point to be sharp
  • press shutter half way second time the point at the far end will be selected
  • The camera sets now Aperture and distance to get it all sharp
  • press the shutter full down to take the photo.
Canon did that 20 years ago in film. I don't know if they still do it or how hard it would be to implement on our cameras.

I do know that the focal length of old lenses that are entered for SR used to be in the EXIF. I don't know why they'd get rid of that...

-Eric

04-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If the focal length is available to the camera, either by manual or automated means, it will be stored in the EXIF*. I believe this is the case for all Pentax dSLRs having SR.

Steve

* Standard EXIF tag, not Pentax-specific
I checked.
When the focal length has been manually set, it is stored in the EXIF, both in the standard EXIF tag and in the Pentax-specific EXIF tag that stores the focal length used for Shake Reduction.
Note that those two focal lengths may not be identical, for example with lenses that have internal focusing.
04-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ptitboul Quote
Note that those two focal lengths may not be identical, for example with lenses that have internal focusing.
That is news to me. Although I spend a fair amount of time in the Pentax EXIF space, I can't remember ever looking at the Makernotes section that ExifTool's authors have labeled FocalLength (0x001d int32u) as compared to the Exif.Image.FocalLength. Is there any chance you might post a separate thread detailing this discrepancy?

Steve
04-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is there any chance you might post a separate thread detailing this discrepancy?
Done: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/319800-focal-lengths-exif.html

04-29-2016, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

What I want from a new firmware update is... wait for it..... improved stability for general performance
04-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What I want from a new firmware update is... wait for it..... improved stability for general performance
Done!...before you even typed the words!

Steve
04-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #52
Forum Member

Another suggestion for a new firmware: to make the auto-crop mode configurable. The body can remember AF fine adjustments, I think theauto-crop would be much more useful to if it remembers the user's choice in terms of crop mode.

NB: is it possible to organise a vote for the most requested firmware improvements? I expect that this would help Pentax to get some user feedback.

04-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I don't think this has been mentioned.

The K-1 has a feature for "Disabling Operations Controls". (Page 41 of the manual). This will be very useful for me, and for anyone else who wants to protect against accidentally nudging the controls.

The controls that can be disabled are in two sets, "Type 1" and "Type 2". You set in the menu which of these sets is to be disabled, Then you can switch on and off disabling, via a new button on the body.

I want the menu to have a third option: "Type 1 plus Type 2". Then all of these control can be disabled easily, and most of the external dials and buttons will have no effect until re-enabled. The camera would be very resilient to clumsy operation, accidental nudges, etc.
04-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #54

If I got it right, the five-axis sensor stabilisation mechanism is abled to tilt the sensor around a horizontal and a vertical axis, besides rotating it around the lens axis and shifting it horizontally and vertically in the image plane.

The latter three degrees of freedom can be steered manually for in-body image correction.

Wouldn't it be interesting to be abled to add the tilt functionality? Thus it would be possible to do some "scheimpflugian" experiments ... and it seems to be a software-only thingy.
04-29-2016, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
If I got it right, the five-axis sensor stabilisation mechanism is abled to tilt the sensor around a horizontal and a vertical axis, besides rotating it around the lens axis and shifting it horizontally and vertically in the image plane.

The latter three degrees of freedom can be steered manually for in-body image correction.

Wouldn't it be interesting to be abled to add the tilt functionality? Thus it would be possible to do some "scheimpflugian" experiments ... and it seems to be a software-only thingy.
The sensor remains parallel to (say) the back of the camera at all times. I think the term "five axis stabilisation" (etc) is ambiguous. There are five axes of camera movement that can be detected and compensated for, but the sensor itself doesn't have that degree of flexibility. It slides around in a fixed plane.

Here is a diagram that attempts to explain it.
04-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Make Sigma 70-200 HSM Macro II compatible.

Last edited by dcpropilot; 04-30-2016 at 06:49 AM.
04-30-2016, 12:13 AM   #57

Having lived with my K1 since Thursday, The only thing I would like to be included in any upgrade (other than the one I posted earlier) would be to have use of the smart wheel when the info screen is off. At present I am using my camera in the same way as I did with my K5II and K3, Pressing the info button to make the necessary changes. Hardly a chore but I have two wheels on top of my camera that are just decoration!
04-30-2016, 12:33 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteL Quote
Having lived with my K1 since Thursday, The only thing I would like to be included in any upgrade (other than the one I posted earlier) would be to have use of the smart wheel when the info screen is off. At present I am using my camera in the same way as I did with my K5II and K3, Pressing the info button to make the necessary changes. Hardly a chore but I have two wheels on top of my camera that are just decoration!
I use the new dials to change Crop. I don't need the Info screen to be on. The result shows in the viewfinder. The same applies to certain other changes, for example the result of changing SR shows in the viewfinder and can be made with the Info screen off.
04-30-2016, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I use the new dials to change Crop. I don't need the Info screen to be on. The result shows in the viewfinder. The same applies to certain other changes, for example the result of changing SR shows in the viewfinder and can be made with the Info screen off.
I know that some of the info is displayed in the viewfinder, It would just be nice if the information could be displayed on the screen briefly when making adjustments. I use most of the parameter changes and find the tiles on the info screen more convenient. I just prefer not to have it display once the changes are made. The good thing is that the camera can be customised to cater for most people`s taste.
04-30-2016, 04:33 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteL Quote
I know that some of the info is displayed in the viewfinder, It would just be nice if the information could be displayed on the screen briefly when making adjustments. I use most of the parameter changes and find the tiles on the info screen more convenient. I just prefer not to have it display once the changes are made. The good thing is that the camera can be customised to cater for most people`s taste.
OK, I see. If just the parameter being changed were displayed, in fairly large type, that sounds like a good idea.

I don't wear my spectacles when shooting, so the top and rear screens are a bit of a mystery to me while shooting!