Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm fortunate to have a local camera store. The owner is excited about getting a partial order of K-1s this week. I am too!

04-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I'm fortunate to have a local camera store.
What store? I'm going to be in that area in June.
04-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
There are two camera stores in my neck of the woods. The one closest to me, however, only sells used photo equipment; the owner decided to make vinyl records the main thrust of his store. He does sell Pentax -- though when I was first starting out, he warned me to go Canikon -- and I've found a few decent lenses there. The other store is pretty much Canikon exclusive, and much smaller; I've never seen any Pentax there.
04-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

The two stores in Toronto the Henry's and Downtown Camera, that do carry Pentax gear both sell on line as well, so I don't have to choose. They are on-line for my isolated existence and Bricks and Mortar when I'm in Toronto.

04-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #20
Lens Buying Addict

My local 8-store chain recently restocked Pentax. They show K-3ll, 645z and K-1 pre-order. Website says available 4/30.

Now the question is do I want to cancel B&H and PF referral - and pay $179 sales tax - to support the local store?
04-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What store? I'm going to be in that area in June.
It's the Camera Cottage.
04-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Thanks!

Love this quote: "Billings went totally without a camera store of any kind for several years, except for the big box store retailers that have as much photographic knowledge as the local house fly."
04-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My local 8-store chain recently restocked Pentax. They show K-3ll, 645z and K-1 pre-order. Website says available 4/30.

Now the question is do I want to cancel B&H and PF referral - and pay $179 sales tax - to support the local store?
I'd say it depends.

When there are camera stores - as in Brick and Mortar - that would talk down to you, or laugh at Pentax in the past, then I'm not sure I would cancel just because they are carrying Pentax now.

There is a camera store in San Jose, Ca. that carries Pentax, but every time I have gone into that store to talk about Pentax, they could not care less about the brand.
I've bought stuff there, sure, but as far a supporting them?

B&H has never looked down their noses at me about Pentax.

I'd say ultimately it's your choice.

04-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The two stores in Toronto the Henry's and Downtown Camera, that do carry Pentax gear both sell on line as well, so I don't have to choose. They are on-line for my isolated existence and Bricks and Mortar when I'm in Toronto.
Henry's carries little Pentax stock any more. Most Pentax gear listed on their website is listed as "special order" only -- not in any of their stores, nor in stock for on-line ordering. For example, the current entry/mid-level body, the K-S2, is special order only, no matter what form, i.e., neither body only, 1-lens kit, nor 2-lens kit. The HD 55-300mm WR, the FA 50mm f/1.4, DA 18-270mm, most of the DA* lenses, DFA 150-450mm, and the Limited lenses are special order only. The DFA* 70-200mm f/2.8 "usually ships in 7-14 business days". The K-3ii is available, but not the K-3. Henry's lists some currently in-demand lenses, and lenses that were released years ago as being in stock.
04-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #25
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I'd say it depends.

When there are camera stores - as in Brick and Mortar - that would talk down to you, or laugh at Pentax in the past, then I'm not sure I would cancel just because they are carrying Pentax now.

There is a camera store in San Jose, Ca. that carries Pentax, but every time I have gone into that store to talk about Pentax, they could not care less about the brand.
I've bought stuff there, sure, but as far a supporting them?

B&H has never looked down their noses at me about Pentax.

I'd say ultimately it's your choice.
Yep. Pay 10% premium and (potentially) deal with the 'Don't you want a D750 instead?' (because I make higher commission) dance.*

* Not saying that will happen. Just saying I haven't had a good experience in a camera store since 1984.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-25-2016 at 01:23 PM.
04-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #26
Site Supporter

For me it is driving several hours to the store before getting the "don't you want a D750" speech. I'm not sure we have a local stocking dealer in Portland anymore. And that's 1.5 hours. Nearest stocking dealer I know of is in Lakewood which is about 3.5 hours.

I like supporting the local stores when I can, and I do for most things. But free 3 day delivery from B&H or Amazon compared to a 7 hour round trip is not really much of a decision for me.
04-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it would be nice to have readily available brick and mortar Pentax stores but I have not been that impressed at the advice I have been hearing handed out to prospective Canon and Nikon buyers in our local camera stores. I think one of the advantages Pentax users, at least veteran users, have is this forum. The information and help offered over the years has been invaluable to me. Certainly not all of it is of equal value but the open discussion usually insures reliable outcomes. There is no reason for any of us to feel guilty giving our business to B&H which most of us find to be very reliable. We do not need a salesman's suspect advice.
04-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #28
Site Supporter

After buying my first DSLR, a K10D with kit lens, I was in need of a faster lens for low light shooting. I went to the local camera store who still carried Pentax at the time and asked if they had any f/2.8 or faster lenses. The response was "Pentax doesn't make fast lenses". So I went home and ordered an FA 77 f/1.8 from B&H.

This store hasn't carried Pentax gear in years. I buy camera bags and other small accessories from them occasionally when I want to see before I buy.

Today I checked their website. The only Pentax gear listed is the 645z, body only, for special order and $1500 more than B&H. No lenses. I wouldn't mind paying a small premium to buy from a local store. But I'm not optimistic I'll ever buy anything major from this store again.

Last edited by Gordo; 04-25-2016 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo
05-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Spotted today at Downtown Camera, Toronto Canada. (Picture taken by my phone with their permission.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1068  Photo