Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's also recall that teleconverters aren't a free lunch; cropping vs using a teleconverter is very dependent on the combo. With the k-1 we don't know how friendly the 36mp sensor combined with a good tc and a lens will be vs cropping either in camera or by using a k3 or by post processing.

04-25-2016, 08:36 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Let's also recall that teleconverters aren't a free lunch; cropping vs using a teleconverter is very dependent on the combo. With the k-1 we don't know how friendly the 36mp sensor combined with a good tc and a lens will be vs cropping either in camera or by using a k3 or by post processing.
Absolutely, but in some cases the combo is ideal. I got my best ever moonshot last year with my K-3 and DA* 300 + 1.4 TC. I can't match that with the DA* 300 alone, and this was handheld. I did do a bit of sharpening though, hands up for that! I will be surprised if I can match it when I get a K-1 with the same lens combo (later this year).

Last edited by Dave L; 04-25-2016 at 08:41 PM.
04-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I find the TC a necessary addition to the 150-450 on a K-3 II, so I'd certainly be using it with the K-1.
The K-1 in crop mode, with the 150-450 +TC, may be a good combination for birding, if the suggested low noise performance is a reality.

Cheers,
Terry
...AND the best choice for more more static subjects, Terry, even at a crop to circa 20mp, given pixel shift. You don't have to crop all the way to ~15mp (APS-C). There are no pixel-count police! My conjecture at this point -- K-1 all the way, and not even that close. People who don't like tripods need not respond critically, thank you. When, oh, when are more folks going to start getting this deal with 4x exposure on FF and zero to minimal artifacts from demosaicing? Getting the point across to more seems like "pulling teeth", to use an old expression. Helpful: Go back and read Lloyd Chambers in numerous blog posts on this issue. BTW, Fuji fans won't be all that pleased in this respect, either. Not even with the 24mp X-trans sensor, it provisionally appears. Lloyd does get it, however; and he, among others, spells out unequivocally what it all means for IQ. Don't mince words about this, I say; so, that-a-way, Lloyd -- Bravo! There is more than enough, including illustrative images, which is not hidden behind Lloyd's paywall for any Pentaxian to chew on for awhile. Any Leica users here? You might want to start thinking about selling the M9 Monochrome sooner, rather than later, if you like to work slowly and deliberately. Ha, ha. We'll start to know better very soon about such under-appreciated Pentax perks. I'm pretty excited about these prospects.

---------- Post added 04-26-16 at 01:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Let's correct an glaring error here, a TC does give you more magnification, the aps-c sensor ONLY gives you reduced field of view.

A 300mm on a K1 with a TC will have greater magnification than the 300 on the K3. The difference in the FoV of 420mm (K1) versus 450mm (K3) will be about 1 degree, but the K1 + TC setup up will have greater optical magnification. So you get about the same FoV, more magnification AND more MP with the K1 combo. So yes that Stop of light may be worth it.

If the Pentax TC truly is limiting on a FF sensor, there's always the Tamron 1.4 or maybe the Pentax 1.7x will get a new life. I have the Tamron already, so I'll see how that works.
Yep. I want to warn prospective Tamron SP/ Kenko Pro300 DGX shoppers to do their homework diligently on the -- unfortunately -- many variations out there. You'll lose some measure of performance if you unwittingly purchase a less optimal variant... or, put it this way, be sure you get a good deal on the latter! It's complicated, and that situation is not helped any by people guessing on the internet... and not labeling their musings a "guess"; or better, an informed "conjecture". I was surprised to find that Canon EOS versions of the Kenko have multiple recent generational differences marked only by a color-coded 'dot'... even after so many years existence of the "widely compatible" EF-mount; and incompatibilities are an issue, it turns out.

---------- Post added 04-26-16 at 01:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Absolutely, but in some cases the combo is ideal. I got my best ever moonshot last year with my K-3 and DA* 300 + 1.4 TC. I can't match that with the DA* 300 alone, and this was handheld. I did do a bit of sharpening though, hands up for that! I will be surprised if I can match it when I get a K-1 with the same lens combo (later this year).

Stupendously good, Dave! I take your astute point completely. Thanks!

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 04-26-2016 at 04:26 AM.
04-26-2016, 04:30 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
True.

One of the earliest tests I will do will be to compare K-1 FF + Pentax 1.4x Converter with K-1 Crop without the Converter with K-3II without the Converter.

Nothing beats personal experience based on taking photos!