Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 L Bracket from Kirk Enterprises

I read with interest a discussion last week about finding an L Bracket for the new K1. I have used custom L Brackets from Kirk for my K20 and K5/K5IIs. Their build quality is superb, easily equaling RRS. Anyway, after reading the thread I dashed off an email to them asking if they had any intentions of supporting the new Pentax K1. Here is their email reply....
QuoteQuote:
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2016 4:54 AM
To: me
Subject: Re: dSLR L brackets for Pentax K-1

Gordon
Yes we will be, as soon as we receive our camera a L-Bracket will follow.
Thank you,
Jeff

Kirk Enterprise Solutions
260-665-3670
Kirk Enterprise Solutions

04-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I tried Kirk several years ago but they didn't have Pentax-specific L-brackets. I tried the universal but it prevented full access to openings so I sold it and switched to RRS. Kirk's website doesn't indicate any plates specific to any Pentax model (only brand choices are Canon, Nikon, Sony), but if they're going to add Pentax-specific models I'd consider them as they're definitely more economical. Otherwise I'll stick with RRS.
04-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

RRS has them for pre-order for the K-1. But, god, the price!
04-25-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
I tried Kirk several years ago but they didn't have Pentax-specific L-brackets. I tried the universal but it prevented full access to openings so I sold it and switched to RRS. Kirk's website doesn't indicate any plates specific to any Pentax model (only brand choices are Canon, Nikon, Sony), but if they're going to add Pentax-specific models I'd consider them as they're definitely more economical. Otherwise I'll stick with RRS.
I think I picked up my first one in about 2008 for the K20D and then for the K5 in about 2011 that I also used on my K5IIs. I stayed with the K5IIs base - in part because they did not have a L bracket for the K3 (and for the nicer lower ISO noise). I picked up a plate from Acratech in about 2007 for the K100 that also fit the K20 and K5. I think I was one of the last folks to order a K5 bracket from them for Pentax. Since then they have not really had anything supporting Pentax - but I am hoping that is going to change, now with the K1 and Ricoh.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
RRS has them for pre-order for the K-1. But, god, the price!
Yea, I know - $160 is somewhat pricey for mechanical support. On the other hand when you look at the price for the Nikon and Canon models, then factor the smaller production runs to spread the non-recurring engineering costs across, it tends to even out to a degree. With RRS, you need to factor in the very expensive Cal Poly SLO Mechanical Engineering expertise (I had to get a plug in for my alma mater). What attracted me to Kirk was initially the price, but the overall build and finish quality of the L bracket I have sitting here on the kitchen table, welded to my K5IIs body, is just plain flat out excellent. I have been using this for 5 years now - all the time, and it looks near new. It also has a place for a wrist strap to attach to - which is a nice feature.

04-26-2016, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #5

As a Star Trek fan, anyone calling their business 'Kirk Enterprises' gets my vote. 😜
04-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Is the RRS and Kirk only for use with the camera without battery grip installed?
04-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Ed Quote
Is the RRS and Kirk only for use with the camera without battery grip installed?
It all depends on their design. RRS for some Nikon and Canon (top of the line) models offers 2 L brackets - one with and one with out a grip. The one that is always offered is the L bracket with out a grip.

I thought that I would call Kirk this morning, and in talking with them I suggested that they might visit the Forum and see what folks were looking for. The Forum has a survey capability - run a survey to get a rough idea of the numbers. I would also suggest calling them and making some suggestions. Their phone number is up in the first post....

04-27-2016, 02:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When I bought my bracket a few years ago, I looked at a couple different brands. I don't remember the other manufacturers, but I imagine Kirk was one.

The RRS K5 bracket has a slot for a wrist strap (I presume brackets for other models do but I am not certain). The RRS stuff dove tail is square. I really don't remember if the dove tails for other brackets are square or rectangular. The square tail allows me to insert the camera into clamp however I like; it is a convenience, I think.

These are a couple things I compared when looking at different brands.

04-28-2016, 06:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought a bracket from Amazon.co.uk specifically made for the K-5 by a company called Fittest. IIRC, it was about half the price of comparable Kirk and RRS brackets, but it is well made and fitted the K-5 precisely. I use it now on my K-3s, but the opening for the side flap is not the right size to allow it to open while the grip is fitted. This doesn't trouble me, as I never seem to have had any occasion to open it anyway. I hope Fittest make a similar one for the K-1.