Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder of the OS version of the Sigma 70-200 works on the K1 since it is a different and newer model than the HSM macro version

04-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Sigma 150-500mm F5.6-6.3 DG APO HSM lets also the K-1 freeze ! Some time it works 1-2 sec. then it freeze.
04-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
My Sigma 150-500mm F5.6-6.3 DG APO HSM lets also the K-1 freeze ! Some time it works 1-2 sec. then it freeze.
Uh, oh.
04-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Does anyone know how to read the firmware version of a lens like the Sigma 70-200 HSM II?

04-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #50
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Tried both the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG Macro, and Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO Tele Macro.
They work better than ever! AF is so confident in this camera, neither lens hunts like they do on my K-5 and *ist DS.

edit: Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 EX DG works - no speed increase on this one, but it works okay.
Neat. But which 105 f/2.8 do you own? Sigma made 3 versions of that one. Is it one of those with the old blotchy texture and slide clutch or is the smooth black plastic one?
04-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also.having crashing issues between K-1 and the 70-200 HSM II. Works like a charm on my K-3.
I was planning on using it extensively with the FF body. If the issue isn't resolved early in the life of the camera I'll have no choice but to sell the lens.

On another note my other 2 Sigma FF lenses : 150-500 and 12-24 are working just fine.

Overall I'm loving the K-1 though. The viewfinder is just glorious for someone who wears glasses.

Last edited by Papa Lazarou; 04-30-2016 at 04:29 PM.
04-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #52

Has anybody tried getting in contact with Sigma re. possible firmware update of the lens?

04-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Take it from someone who has repaired many Sigmas (just got done with an EX DG 100mm f/2.8 macro, as a matter of fact), they absolutely do cut corners.

It's not meant as a slam on them to mention this. It's a business strategy that they adopted for very logical reasons and one that ultimately got them to the successful place they are now, but to deny it because one thinks it is some kind of personal slight against Sigma owners to mention the tradeoffs involved is foolish.

Heck, I have 7 or 8 Sigma lenses on my shelf right now. But I'm also willing to recognize that there is a reason they can undercut the OEMs by hundreds or thousands of dollars on a similarly specced (or even higher specced) lens. The money goes into the optics, not into the supporting hardware and software.

---------- Post added 04-28-16 at 04:00 PM ----------

Reverse engineering a communications protocol is perfectly legal under both U.S. and Japanese law , especially considering that Sigma and Pentax are not in contractual privity with each other (in fact, the DMCA expressly allows reverse engineering for interoperability purposes). If Pentax or any other OEM were real jerks, they could include a license agreement with the camera that forbade unlicensed lenses and disabled the camera if they were used, but that would make no business sense.

Now if they were to copy the firmware directly from Pentax lenses it would be a completely different story, or if Pentax installed encryption on the commuications chips and Sigma cracked the encryption to enable it to communicate it would likewise be illegal under the DMCA.

That doesn't necessarily mean that Sigma is a good actor when it comes to IP. Just a couple years ago, Nikon extracted a big settlement from them for blatantly infringing on their stabilization technology.
Why are you mentioning a piece of American legislation? $÷uk all to do with what is happening here.
If I was Ricoh and a lens was signalling incorrectly I would shutdown the camera too, to prevent any possible damage to its software and associated electronics. We do not know which protocols Sigma are using and even if they are using the correct protocols correctly. We have 2 members that I can see with the same lens experiencing the same symptoms. A chat between the two companies should iron this out over the next couple of weeks if both feel so inclined.
New camera teething problems, nothing more.
04-30-2016, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #54
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Why are you mentioning a piece of American legislation? $÷uk all to do with what is happening here.
If I was Ricoh and a lens was signalling incorrectly I would shutdown the camera too, to prevent any possible damage to its software and associated electronics. We do not know which protocols Sigma are using and even if they are using the correct protocols correctly. We have 2 members that I can see with the same lens experiencing the same symptoms. A chat between the two companies should iron this out over the next couple of weeks if both feel so inclined.
New camera teething problems, nothing more.

That's the crux of the issue.. Do they.. feel so inclined? We'll have to wait and see. I'm hopeful it will get resolved, but this is another reason why I'm not an early adopter. Stuff like this happens and it's better (imo) to get a lay of the land before stepping foot onto it. I think some even bought the Sigma 70-200 recently in advance of the K-1 specifically for the K-1... ouch!
04-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Neat. But which 105 f/2.8 do you own? Sigma made 3 versions of that one. Is it one of those with the old blotchy texture and slide clutch or is the smooth black plastic one?
Don't the newer ones have HSM and/or OS? That would differentiate them from the basic EX DG I thought. Regardless, I own this one:

04-30-2016, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
We had a rumor thread posted about this about 3 months ago, which I think got put aside hoping the K-1 firmware was still in progress.

Sorry to hear that's happening.

Have you sent your 70-200 HSM II in for service beforehand? When I first got my HSM II, it would focus on a K-5iis through the viewfinder and phase autodetect, but wouldn't autofocus through Live View's contrast detection. I sent it in to Sigma and they updated the lens's firmware, which works flawlessly now. The Sigma form service called the update the "K-7 firmware update" or some such.

I'm hoping the K-7 firmware update will prove to be a solution for the K-1 as well. I'll let you know if the K-7-updated 70-200 works on a K-1 when mine gets here.
I had the exact same issue and sent it in for upgrading and it now works fine. I'll be interested in hearing if the lens with the update will work on the K1.
04-30-2016, 05:30 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That's the crux of the issue.. Do they.. feel so inclined? We'll have to wait and see. I'm hopeful it will get resolved, but this is another reason why I'm not an early adopter. Stuff like this happens and it's better (imo) to get a lay of the land before stepping foot onto it. I think some even bought the Sigma 70-200 recently in advance of the K-1 specifically for the K-1... ouch!
Yeah, Me!!! LOL
04-30-2016, 06:21 PM   #58
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Yeah, Me!!! LOL
Doh!

Don't worry.. Homer is on it!

---------- Post added 04-30-16 at 08:36 PM ----------

Don't the newer ones have HSM and/or OS? That would differentiate them from the basic EX DG I thought. Regardless, I own this one:
I think there were variants in individual revisions.

For instance, mine has the SIGMA logo between the distance scale and the aperture ring and the lens data is on the left side of the distance scale. Otherwise mine looks identical to yours.

Mine is an EX DG from 2010 when they DC'd this version for (I think) the version you have.

After that, I think they came out with the shiny black version.
04-30-2016, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I believe yours is the most recent produced in Pentax K.

Steve
05-01-2016, 01:48 AM   #60
Pentaxian

In fact the 70-200/2.8 HSM II is (barely) usable but you have to switch to MF the lens knob and the K-1 knob and set the focal to 70mm before switching the K-1 on.
Then if you change the focal length you will get a variable delay between pushing the shutter and taking the photo, it is not convenient.
The focus confirmation will not work either, and if you want to read a photo it could freeze the K-1.

I will tell it to Ricoh Imaging but have no big hope that they will take it in consideration, they have their 70-200 to sell.
I will prevent Sigma too, but i previously dit it about my flash (EF 530 DG Super) that does not work in HSS with most of my Pentax reflexes and they never answered me. Sigma sucks...