Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2016, 04:31 AM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Lampo Quote
Thanks! But this is done manually after focussing, I thought there was also a setting where the magnification is automatically activated when the shutter is pressed halfway. But perhaps I am misstaken.

The reason I ask, is because of the narrow field of depth when I use my old manual lenses. Focus peaking is great, but when the subject is further away, it is still hard to see when focus is correct.
It is full manual, so it can be done whenever you like, before, during or after focusing
Sony implementation is exactly like that: you have automatic magnification with focus peaking when you press shutter button.
On Pentax it is actually opposite, you activate magnification manually and when you press shutter button magnification is disabled not enabled.
I like Pentax implementation more because I don't need magnification always and I always want to check final composition without magnification before pressing the shutter button.
Only option what I want from Sony's implementation is changing of focus peaking color.

09-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
For me, I still find the spot focusing and the audible beep/ red highlight in the center square the most reliable and accurate method. If I am using a tripod, then I will use live view, focus peaking and focus zoom. Without a tripod I can't seem to hold the camera steady when using live view...
With manual focus lenses like the Samyang 24mm 1.4 that I use for weddings, I will de-focus beyond the focus point and come back slowly until I hear the beep. I may do this twice just to be sure. Wedding parties are usually cooperative when I tell them I am using a manual focus lense and I still count down 3,2, and take the picture so they know when the shot happens.
09-18-2016, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As an aside, if you really want an extra bang for your buck, enable highlight alert along with your focus peaking - your white sparkles will turn red as the camera will think they're blown highlights and start flashing them accordingly. (Works on the K-30 and K-3, I assume it works on the K-1 as well)
09-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, I have highlight alert on for keeping an eye on over-exposure but, yes, they turn red and flashing, too- along with focus peaking on, and focus zoom with my K-1.

02-05-2022, 02:44 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A useful tip with focus peaking is to also enable 'Highlight Alert' in your Live View settings [Rec Mode menu > Tab 5 > Live View > Highlight Alert > On]. It can add a little extra emphasis to the peaking display.
Red highlights also on K3-II... Great help, Thx.

On finer textures not all white highlights turn red, seems it needs some grouping to be noted as highlight... nevertheless sufficient to help you when focusing white objects or other objects on white backgrounds ...