Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
With a 36 megapixel full-frame sensor and a host of unique features including built in GPS, Wi-Fi, and 5-axis image stabilisation sensor, at an extremely competitive price, the Pentax K-1 offers the best bang-per-buck of any current Digital SLR.
This is the sort of press for which any camera manufacturer would give its eye teeth.

At least we didn't get "This is a disgusting lemon of a camera whose designers should burn in hell." After a sixteen year wait, that would be too much to bear.

04-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I'm already starting to see a few K1 pixel shifted images posted online that just blow me away!!!

Can't wait to see reviews that compare K1 pixel shift to medium format and Sigma Foveon!!!
04-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Don't worry. I'm sure the folks at DPR will have a review up shortly that rates it somewhere between the Brownie Hawkeye and the Instamatic.
Then it will win gold, particularly if it comes with a brass finish and drop-in apertures...

Seriously, I thought the preview they did seemed pretty reasonable.

-Eric
04-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #19

That review makes me so sad - because now I need a K1. High ISO performance was what I was waiting for - and it is clearly SOLID. Time to start figuring out how to do it.

04-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I just read the review. I loved their high res photos! The red headed girl at 100% was incredible!

I do not consider this to be a comprehensive or definitive review. For example, one of the most unique features of the K1 is "motion compensated pixel shift". Yet they do not even mention this revolutionary feature or include any examples of it in this review....
04-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

"Best bang-for-buck of any digital SLR" - that has to go on the billboards, right? ☺

'Video quality was good, and the built in image stabilisation did a good job keeping video steady, even when recording handheld.' That will drive our videographer brethren (bless 'em) mad, because this is an objective reviewer's opinion despite their longheld (and admittedly justifiable) complaints.

A con was 'No built-in flash unit' too. Some of us were ridiculed in various threads for not parting with that easily. ☺
04-29-2016, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There always has to be a CON, if only for balance. OBF is an easy placeholder, even if it doesn't matter one whit. *

* ducks!

04-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I just read the review. I loved their high res photos! The red headed girl at 100% was incredible!

I do not consider this to be a comprehensive or definitive review. For example, one of the most unique features of the K1 is "motion compensated pixel shift". Yet they do not even mention this revolutionary feature or include any examples of it in this review....
Just read the review too and have to agree it wasn't very comprehensive, more like we got it out first.

I laughed at the ads on the page, buy now and buy online...........a picture of my K-S1 and a link for it to Amazon UK
04-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, it looks like I just may have to pull the trigger on one of these. The high res stuff is just incredible.
04-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I agree. I like ePhotozine for their good and consistent lens reviews, but this one is not very comprehensive. No mention of AF performance, for example. I guess they really wanted to get it out first. It's an eagerly anticipated product and whoever publishes the first review reaps a lot of traffic.

I just thought I'd share it because even considering its shortness it is the first 'full' review, and because I thought people on here would appreciate the quite flattering verdict
04-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
'Video quality was good, and the built in image stabilisation did a good job keeping video steady, even when recording handheld.' That will drive our videographer brethren (bless 'em) mad, because this is an objective reviewer's opinion despite their longheld (and admittedly justifiable) complaints.
I'm not so sure they reviewed the video very closely -- maybe it's just me, but when I watched the short clip they posted I noticed a very odd jump in the footage just before the 6 second mark. I would attribute this to the software image stabilisation, but I'm not sure...didn't look smooth regardless of what caused it.
04-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crussellsprout Quote
I'm not so sure they reviewed the video very closely --
I bet you're right, Crussellsprout ... like nearly everyone video's something they don't care about but they're obligated to report on it!
04-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The review was made with preproduction firmware .38 as they show in one photo.
04-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
The review was made with preproduction firmware .38 as they show in one photo.
Oh that's just dirty pool.
04-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh that's just dirty pool.
I won't complain about their verdict, and usually they do a good job with their reviews, but it really does seem like they did not review this camera in nearly as much depth as they should have, and as a result they made several mistakes.

Maybe someone should shoot them a message and highlight it.