Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 24
Will you always shoot at 36MP?

Hey everyone

I was just wondering the following as someone that's considering making the move to this bad boy once available (k1!!).

Background story because I'm a former lurker here and just started posting: I've been looking for a full frame for a while to move up to from my K-50 and was considering Nikon's D750 but, after its 4th recall since it's release and some negative reviews, and also considering I have a couple K-mount lenses already (albeit nothing high end yet) I'm happy to see its finally being released! I suppose I was waiting for reviews to start popping up before making my decision and now, it seems quite promising and possibly better than the D750


The question: Given the increase to a now, pretty significant 36MP representing a big leap for most of us and our prior bodies, will you all be shooting at 36MP all the time? Aside from the APS-C crop mode which limits users to 16MP IIRC, when given the possibility to shoot at 36, will you always use it? I am only asking because I'm considering disk space for us who shot JPEG+RAW and also PC processing power afterwards. It may be a shock for some of us. Looking at some DNG samples they are a nice light 36MB in size

So, will you shoot at max res all the time?

04-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 92
I will be shooting at 36mp as often as possible simply because I think I'll enjoy the freedom it allows with post-shot cropping.
04-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,831
Not a stupid question. Even the K3II RAW files are notably bigger than the K5's. Storage space is an issue, even with widely available 4TB drives. I am trying to be more vigilant about deleting sub-par images, but going through past images seems less likely.
04-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Richland, Washington, USA
Posts: 879
I'll shoot full res, but I have plenty of storage (external RAID 5) so that's really not an issue for me.

04-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
Forum Member
LilithBaerchen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 77
Yep I will only shoot 36MP, BUT I already feel the pain of waiting in LR when zooming in or looking through the images. A K5-Raw with around 20-20MB is one thing, but now we go to around 45-50MB... Diskspace is no issue, but processing time will be for me I think...

Well I have to learn to delete more images otherwise diskspace may become an issue after all *chrm*. My first hardcore moment will be after the next concertshoot with 400+ images to sort, delete and process *_*, on the other side, K1“s burstrate is slower, so I might take less photos then with the K5 xD
04-29-2016, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 870
QuoteOriginally posted by eliphas Quote
The question: Given the increase to a now, pretty significant 36MP representing a big leap for most of us and our prior bodies, will you all be shooting at 36MP all the time? Aside from the APS-C crop mode which limits users to 16MP IIRC, when given the possibility to shoot at 36, will you always use it? I am only asking because I'm considering disk space for us who shot JPEG+RAW and also PC processing power afterwards. It may be a shock for some of us. Looking at some DNG samples they are a nice light 36MB in size

So, will you shoot at max res all the time?
There is another relevant factor. The burst rate at FF is about 4.4 fps. The burst rate in Crop mode is about 6.5 fps.

I currently have the Function dial (the third wheel) set to "Crop". Then I can rapidly switch crop modes.

So, for example at an airshow where I'm using the D FA 150-450mm lens, as the subject moves about, I might rapidly go from "150mm in FF mode (4.4 fps)" to "450mm in Crop mode (6.5 fps)". A large range of angles of view.

(I would like crop shapes and factors in between. But given what we have, that is what I currently intend to try out).
04-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 24
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LilithBaerchen Quote
Yep I will only shoot 36MP, BUT I already feel the pain of waiting in LR when zooming in or looking through the images. A K5-Raw with around 20-20MB is one thing, but now we go to around 45-50MB... Diskspace is no issue, but processing time will be for me I think...

Well I have to learn to delete more images otherwise diskspace may become an issue after all *chrm*. My first hardcore moment will be after the next concertshoot with 400+ images to sort, delete and process *_*, on the other side, K1“s burstrate is slower, so I might take less photos then with the K5 xD
Import, Build 1:1 Previews, Go to Bed, wake up in morning, Edit :P


Also, Barry, fantastic use of that dial and a preset! Good idea for sure and a good way to get a slightly higher FPS when the occasion calls for it!
04-29-2016, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tromsų, Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 955
If and when I get the K-1 I will shoot 36 Mp almost always. Even with APS-C lenses. I love the increased freedom to crop where I feel the image quality falls of. Most APS-C lenses actually have a larger image circle then APS-C at many settings. Sometimes just slightly larger. Sometimes covering the full frame. I rarely need the increased speed from the APS-C mode or the smaller files. I have enough storage space and I don't mind the computer will process slower.

04-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
jlstrawman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 533
QuoteOriginally posted by eliphas Quote
I am only asking because I'm considering disk space for us who shot JPEG+RAW and also PC processing power afterwards. It may be a shock for some of us. Looking at some DNG samples they are a nice light 36MB in size

So, will you shoot at max res all the time?
Sure I will. Storage is cheap. Portable terabyte hard drives can be had for less than $60USD.
04-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,834
I suspect most people who have bought D800, D800E, D810, the A7R, the A7R2, the Canon 5DS/R etc shoot at full resolution most of the time.

The 36MP pioneers who bought D800 in 2012 (and made it a best seller) confronted a world where PC's were slower and storage was more expensive and less abundant than it is today.
04-29-2016, 03:53 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
TomTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 475
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Sure I will. Storage is cheap. Portable terabyte hard drives can be had for less than $60USD.
If you're talking about protecting your images in case of drive failure (mirrored drives) and backing up everything then it's absolutely not cheap. I recently shopped for a smallish 2 drive mirrored enclosure with 6TB drives. It was !$1000 with non-Enterprise level drives. This system would be home to all of my images plus videos, music, and documents, and most people could get away with smaller drive capacity, but if you want something reliable and redundant, not cheap.

Edit: I should add that the cost above doesn't include space for backups, though technically if you're running mirrored drives you always have a current copy.

Last edited by TomTom; 04-29-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Add clarification.
04-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #12
Senior Member
Pentaxis's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 107
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
There is another relevant factor. The burst rate at FF is about 4.4 fps. The burst rate in Crop mode is about 6.5 fps.

I currently have the Function dial (the third wheel) set to "Crop". Then I can rapidly switch crop modes.

So, for example at an airshow where I'm using the D FA 150-450mm lens, as the subject moves about, I might rapidly go from "150mm in FF mode (4.4 fps)" to "450mm in Crop mode (6.5 fps)". A large range of angles of view.

(I would like crop shapes and factors in between. But given what we have, that is what I currently intend to try out).
Hello Barry,
I am a digital novice, my only digital camera being a Point and Shoot donated by my sister. So I am pretty much a complete novice in the digital sphere.....but I AM learning.

As a Pentax film camera buff I am now being seduced by the siren song of the K-1. My question to you, as a clear expert that you are, is: If I choose to shoot small Jpeg images in the K-1 (which I am told, in another thread, that I can), will I also see other benefits like higher frame rates?
04-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 870
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Hello Barry,
I am a digital novice, my only digital camera being a Point and Shoot donated by my sister. So I am pretty much a complete novice in the digital sphere.....but I AM learning.

As a Pentax film camera buff I am now being seduced by the siren song of the K-1. My question to you, as a clear expert that you are, is: If I choose to shoot small Jpeg images in the K-1 (which I am told, in another thread, that I can), will I also see other benefits like higher frame rates?
I'm told that the frame rate on the K-1 is limited by the speed with which data can be read off the sensor. It is not caused by the eventual size of the image file (whether raw or JPEG). (Assuming the memory card is fast enough).

If true, then the maximum rate remains at: 4.4 frames per second if the JPEG is based on the whole sensor, and 6.5 frames per second if it is based on the central APS-C portion of the sensor.

Having smaller JPEGs would enable the camera to shoot continuously for longer. But I'm not aware of any way of exceeding those limits. If there were a way, I think I would have heard about it.

Here is the specification.
04-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #14
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,916
You're missing one aspect here in that you have no choice but to shoot at full res if in FF mode. There is no lower res FF mode. The only other option is shooting in a cropped mode which.. changes the view.
04-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 24
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You're missing one aspect here in that you have no choice but to shoot at full res if in FF mode. There is no lower res FF mode. The only other option is shooting in a cropped mode which.. changes the view.
Well that eliminates a lot of guesswork!

Thanks for that bit of info as well as everyone else who chimed in!!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
36mp, crap, d750, dslr, full frame, full-frame, hope, k-1, k1, move, peace, pentax k-1, pictures, question, reviews, shooting, space, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
36mp be careful what you wish for! slip Pentax Full Frame 111 03-12-2016 09:01 AM
LBA it will always win... in the end Conqueror Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 75 01-22-2015 04:07 PM
Camera will not shoot at night? Moropo Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 13 10-28-2014 01:44 PM
Nikon D800 Will Reportedly Offer 36MP Jasvox Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 8 10-08-2011 11:11 PM
Will you change how or what you shoot? philbaum Pentax K-5 21 12-18-2010 07:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top