Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I have read your post several times to understand what you mean and when I test what you say on my K-1 and K-3 the selection of focuspoint is possible even if the meter is off and has been of for some time before it auto shuts off. No need to press any other button than the 4 wheel buttons to start the focuspoint selection. Also displaying the AF mode is no need for more than one press on this button light up the display and let you change AF mode. Also I do not understand what button is "Off mode button"?

Can you please clarify?
When I press the Af mode selection button located on the left side of the lens mount , I should be able to select Afc or Afs and Af points by turning the dial wheels. If the Ae meter if Off then the Af mode selection button located onthe left side of the mount does not work. I don't know how to be more clear.

05-13-2016, 03:07 PM   #32
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
When I press the Af mode selection button located on the left side of the lens mount , I should be able to select Afc or Afs and Af points by turning the dial wheels. If the Ae meter if Off then the Af mode selection button located onthe left side of the mount does not work. I don't know how to be more clear.
Well, since I can not reproduce the same problem, since mine works just fine changing AF-mode and AF point even after the meter has turned off for 15 seconds. I just wanted you to clarify... I also do not know what the Off-mode button is.
05-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FOLLOWUP: SUSPICIONS CONFIRMED. The problem with Metz strobes (and probably other after-market strobes) on a K1 has to do with focal-length communication. I have Metz 24, 44, and 52 strobes. In pTTL and FF mode on the camera, none of them work. BUT, if I set the camera to APS-C format, all three strobes work correctly. SO, if you have a flash that allows an "extended zoom" setting (= flash sets the reflector one FL step wider than it thinks is correct, but that actually IS the correct setting for the FL of the lens on a FF camera), use that and the flash will function correctly. Otherwise the flash is communicating an APS-C focal length which the K1 identifies as wrong for the FF focal length that the camera is using. For a strobe without an "extended flash" setting, unless Metz issues a firmware update, the unit will not work on a K1 in FF mode, but will work correctly if the camera is in "crop" = APS-C mode.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-13-2016 at 04:20 PM.
05-14-2016, 12:48 AM   #34
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FOLLOWUP: SUSPICIONS CONFIRMED. The problem with Metz strobes (and probably other after-market strobes) on a K1 has to do with focal-length communication. I have Metz 24, 44, and 52 strobes. In pTTL and FF mode on the camera, none of them work. BUT, if I set the camera to APS-C format, all three strobes work correctly. SO, if you have a flash that allows an "extended zoom" setting (= flash sets the reflector one FL step wider than it thinks is correct, but that actually IS the correct setting for the FL of the lens on a FF camera), use that and the flash will function correctly. Otherwise the flash is communicating an APS-C focal length which the K1 identifies as wrong for the FF focal length that the camera is using. For a strobe without an "extended flash" setting, unless Metz issues a firmware update, the unit will not work on a K1 in FF mode, but will work correctly if the camera is in "crop" = APS-C mode.
I am sorry to say that changing the extended zoom setting on my 50 AF -1 has no effect. The only way to get it to work properly is setting the camera to crop mode.

05-14-2016, 01:45 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Post any firmware issues, software problems, or lens/accessory incompatibilities in this thread and we will forward them to Ricoh.

Duplicates allowed so that we can keep a running tally.

*PLEASE DON'T POST GRIPES OR FEATURE SUGGESTIONS HERE*

For PC compatibility issues and general troubleshooting, post in this thread instead:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319937-feedback-issue-thre...-specific.html
I have several M42 lenses that I would like to use with my K-1. However, there is no way I can mount the M42/K adapter on the K-1. It just does not fit. I have an original Asahi Pentax version of this adapter and also bought a new one just to check if it is an adapter issue.

It seems the K-1 works with tighter tolerances that do not match with the M42 adapters.

After I removed the spring and the screw of the adapter I was able to insert it on the K-1, however. But this is not really a workable solution, because the lens is really loose
in this way.
05-14-2016, 02:27 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ubrowz Quote
I have several M42 lenses that I would like to use with my K-1. However, there is no way I can mount the M42/K adapter on the K-1. It just does not fit. I have an original Asahi Pentax version of this adapter and also bought a new one just to check if it is an adapter issue.

It seems the K-1 works with tighter tolerances that do not match with the M42 adapters.

After I removed the spring and the screw of the adapter I was able to insert it on the K-1, however. But this is not really a workable solution, because the lens is really loose
in this way.
Say it ain't so, I'm gonna go check mine!
05-14-2016, 02:39 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Pentax m42 adapter fits no differently than on my other DSLRs. Same goes for my Fotodiox adapter. I think something is wrong with yours ubrowz.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by geomez; 05-14-2016 at 02:58 AM.
05-14-2016, 04:25 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am sorry to say that changing the extended zoom setting on my 50 AF -1 has no effect. The only way to get it to work properly is setting the camera to crop mode.
How about the HSS setting? Set in camera and if needed in the flash. That might work.
05-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An issue for me (and others I assume) that use the back AF button and disable the shutter button AF: the Catch In Focus functionality does not work in this mode. This useful feature was dropped from the K3 after being present in all previous models I have owned. While annoying on the K3 it is downright aggravating on the K1 given the reduced depth of field requires more accurate focus. This should be a straightforward modification to the firmware so I am hoping Ricoh will read this thread and re-implement this functionality.
05-14-2016, 08:07 AM   #40
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
An issue for me (and others I assume) that use the back AF button and disable the shutter button AF: the Catch In Focus functionality does not work in this mode. This useful feature was dropped from the K3 after being present in all previous models I have owned. While annoying on the K3 it is downright aggravating on the K1 given the reduced depth of field requires more accurate focus. This should be a straightforward modification to the firmware so I am hoping Ricoh will read this thread and re-implement this functionality.
I use a user mode for this so that I do not have to change it.

If the AF is on the shutter button it works as before.
05-14-2016, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Well, since I can not reproduce the same problem, since mine works just fine changing AF-mode and AF point even after the meter has turned off for 15 seconds. I just wanted you to clarify... I also do not know what the Off-mode button is.
Hi Jompen, like for you it works for me when I do the same thing. The goal of this thread isnt to invalidate what others may report. I set af the same way with k1 and k3 (same manual for this part) on k3 it works as described in the manual , on k1 it doesnt.
05-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #42
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Hi Jompen, like for you it works for me when I do the same thing. The goal of this thread isnt to invalidate what others may report. I set af the same way with k1 and k3 (same manual for this part) on k3 it works as described in the manual , on k1 it doesnt.
I was not invalidating, I was giving a solution, work around. I may have missunderstood the intention of the thread...

To use Catch in focus on the K-3 and K-1 you need to have the AF-button selection set to AF1. Before the K-3 it was not needed, ok I understand.
05-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have several M42 lenses that I would like to use with my K-1. However, there is no way I can mount the M42/K adapter on the K-1. It just does not fit.
Something odd here, mine works the same as on any other k-mount camera. In fact the first image taken with the my k-1 was with a 135mm Takumar.
05-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #44
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback on Live View

I've noticed on a number of occassions that live view seems to be working fine, but then if it's been off and I go to turn it on again I press the live view button and all I get is a black screen with specular grain suggesting the LV is working but the view is obstructed. I will have to check the next time this occurs as to whether there is the noise associated with mirror lock up. I don't recall if there was the MUP noise but will update the thread once I've confirmed the situation.

To get things going again usually I just press the live view button again to turn LV off then press it a third time to turn it back on and it will work. Sometimes I've had to do this process more than once to get live view working again meaning pressing the same button five times to get LV to work.

I thought it might have been a one off initially, however it occured nearly half a dozen times this morning. This represents an increase over the previous occurrences.

Upon reflecting on my experiences so far, I do recall one image where it appeared the shutter curtain failed to work correctly with most of the image black with just a line at the top. I don't recall the circumstances of this issue but it has not repeated itself. It may have also been me, and as this is not related to the mirror it's just added to identify it ocurred (this being a once off I will ignore it but will update the thread if it occurs again).

Has anyone else had a similar experience when pressing the LV button?

Oh, if this is an issue, so be it, the camera is brilliant to use and produces wonderfully detailed images. No regrets on my purchase.

Tas
05-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had occasion to use manual flash units in the studio just now, setting the K1 @ "X" and connecting the master flash via a wire to a little cube that converts the hot shoe to a PC plug. I pressed the color balance on the 4-way to shift to flash/strobe light balance, but that option was not there. For strobe, I guess you must use either AWB or Daylight.
K20, K5, and K3 all have a flash color balance option. Was this an oversight or intentional?