Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ubrowz Quote
I have several M42 lenses that I would like to use with my K-1. However, there is no way I can mount the M42/K adapter on the K-1. It just does not fit. I have an original Asahi Pentax version of this adapter and also bought a new one just to check if it is an adapter issue.

It seems the K-1 works with tighter tolerances that do not match with the M42 adapters.

After I removed the spring and the screw of the adapter I was able to insert it on the K-1, however. But this is not really a workable solution, because the lens is really loose
in this way.
Very strange! Does the spring not hook in?

I can't really judge as I've removed the spring on all my adapters, but at the same time found that the adapers get hold in place better than on my k50!

On another note, I still can't recreate the freeze bug, it seems just as random as on my k-50, though I do suspect it has something to do with the lens contacts..

05-15-2016, 03:00 AM   #47
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Here's a real bug: if you go into the viewfinder setup menu and try checking or unchecking the AF frame or spot frame, the changes will not take effect unless you also cycle the grid setting.

Totally pointed this out when I tested the pre-production camera, guess it was too late at that point.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2016, 03:32 AM   #48
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's a real bug: if you go into the viewfinder setup menu and try checking or unchecking the AF frame or spot frame, the changes will not take effect unless you also cycle the grid setting.

Totally pointed this out when I tested the pre-production camera, guess it was too late at that point.
Just tested, no need to cycle the grid setting. Tested both with AF-S and C to see if there was a difference.

There obviously a difference to it's behaviour due to different settings on other places in the menu.
05-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #49
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Just tested, no need to cycle the grid setting. Tested both with AF-S and C to see if there was a difference.
Hmm, you're right- if you operate the AF, the viewfinder gets "updated" shortly afterward.

Still a bug, IMO, since if the grid comes on right away, so should the other components.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #50
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hmm, you're right- if you operate the AF, the viewfinder gets "updated" shortly afterward.

Still a bug, IMO, since if the grid comes on right away, so should the other components.
I have to change my statement. If you pull out your battery, I did for change to a new, and then try it will behave as you described but when you have gotten it to turn off once and turn the camera off and on it will react "directly" the next time.

Yes, bug.
05-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Actually it might be Sigma using the same lens ID for both lenses. Pentax firmware don't have a Sigma lens database anyway, and you'll never see an update for Sigma lenses.
It is not an issue with my K3. All lenses are unique.

I have confirmed, my Sigma 500, 100-300 and 70 Macro are considered the same lens by the K1. I reconfirmed my K3 sees them as unique lenses. So right now I have to use the same AF adjustment for three lenses. Not really a compromise I'm thrilled about.
05-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Needed to do a session with the K-1 on the weekend. I show dogs and also get official photographer duties some weekends.

Last weekend I found my K-1 incorrectly adjusting the shutter speed when shooting Hi speed in Av mode. I'm yet to go through the 2,000 plus images from the weekend fully but here's what I have so far.

K-1 (no D-BG6 grip) in Av mode, Hi speed, WB - daylight, crop manually set to FF, center weighted metering, AFC, back button focusing (no focus on shutter button), DA*55 lens (gives slight vignetting on FF but images usually get cropped). I would shoot a continuous sequence and the first frame would be correctly exposed but then the shutter speed would start increasing in subsequent frames all the way up to 1/8000 giving me a series of underexposed images (nearly like doing a bracket exposure going 0EV, -1EV, -2EV but I'm not in bracketing mode). Tonight I hope to go through the images to see if I had this issue at all while using the Sigma 70-200 - definitely with the DA*55 but not sure on the other lens I used on the weekend from memory.

An Update: checking through my images I had the same issue intermittantly with the Sigma 70-200 EX DG OS HSM. Found a 5 frame sequence ISO at 200, F4 - 3 frames at 1/640 then strangely stepped to 1/1250 next frame and then to 1/2000 the frame after. No change to subject or lighting.

Last edited by pqberger; 05-16-2016 at 03:55 AM. Reason: additional information.
05-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had to dial in a +0.7EV compensation to get a decent exposure with my FA lenses. It is an across the board setting and I see overexposure with this setting, although I haven't exactly shot a lot with it. I cannot discount the possibility that there may be something wrong with my unit.
05-15-2016, 11:58 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Error in folder format. k20,K5, K3 the folderformat was mmdd not it is ddmm. THis is a bug, either make an option to set it either mmdd or ddmm or better lets take the whole date YYYYMMDD an let the owner chose which one he prefers

Last edited by joergens.mi; 05-16-2016 at 03:43 AM.
05-16-2016, 02:30 AM   #55
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

at the risk of sounding like an idiot

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I've noticed on a number of occassions that live view seems to be working fine, but then if it's been off and I go to turn it on again I press the live view button and all I get is a black screen with specular grain suggesting the LV is working but the view is obstructed. I will have to check the next time this occurs as to whether there is the noise associated with mirror lock up. I don't recall if there was the MUP noise but will update the thread once I've confirmed the situation.

To get things going again usually I just press the live view button again to turn LV off then press it a third time to turn it back on and it will work. Sometimes I've had to do this process more than once to get live view working again meaning pressing the same button five times to get LV to work.

I thought it might have been a one off initially, however it occured nearly half a dozen times this morning. This represents an increase over the previous occurrences.

Upon reflecting on my experiences so far, I do recall one image where it appeared the shutter curtain failed to work correctly with most of the image black with just a line at the top. I don't recall the circumstances of this issue but it has not repeated itself. It may have also been me, and as this is not related to the mirror it's just added to identify it ocurred (this being a once off I will ignore it but will update the thread if it occurs again).

Has anyone else had a similar experience when pressing the LV button?

Oh, if this is an issue, so be it, the camera is brilliant to use and produces wonderfully detailed images. No regrets on my purchase.

Tas
Above is my comment on the previous page where the live view wasn't showing sometimes and I indicated I'd provide an update.

So, on page 60 of the instructions there is a caution that states:

" *Mirror Lock-up Shooting cannot be selected when shooting with Live View."

Normally I select MUP when I am using a tripod and don't use LV until I'm actually composing so not being able to select MUP when using LV is not an issue. However, I had the black screen appear whilst shooting this morning and typically I had been using LV & MUP without any problems before hand. As I'd noticed the MUP icon in the drive menu was greyed out it made me wonder whether this might be related. It was after this I actually read that page of the instructions.

Anyhoo, so I turned off MUP to use LV and found the black screen in LV did not reoccur. I used MUP again, but would toggle it on and off and found I did not get the black screen again whilst using LV. Note too that I wasn't sure whether the mirror movement noise was occuring prior to the black screen in LV. For the one instance of it occurring this morning there was a definite mirror lock up sound when pressing the LV button.

As I've come from a K5, and the K3 did have a number of operating systems changes it may just be my lack of familiarity with the system. Can anyone comment on the LV/MUP arrangement for K3 please?

I'll keep taking notes of when/if the black screen continues or whether the relationship between LV and MUP as described above was the 'issue' I experienced.

Tas
05-16-2016, 03:28 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adam,
can you please make sure only true fault reports are posted here. This thread is wandering off in all sorts of direction. If Ricoh monitor this thread to learn or inform themselves of true problems and faults I am sure they would want to come straight to the point.

Greetings
05-16-2016, 03:35 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Above is my comment on the previous page where the live view wasn't showing sometimes and I indicated I'd provide an update.

So, on page 60 of the instructions there is a caution that states:

" *Mirror Lock-up Shooting cannot be selected when shooting with Live View."

Of course, when using LV, the mirror is already up. On the K1, does it go back down then up when the shutter is triggered? I believe that is what happens with the K5 and K3 bodies, but I did not take notice when experimenting with my K1.
05-16-2016, 07:22 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
It is not an issue with my K3. All lenses are unique.

I have confirmed, my Sigma 500, 100-300 and 70 Macro are considered the same lens by the K1. I reconfirmed my K3 sees them as unique lenses. So right now I have to use the same AF adjustment for three lenses. Not really a compromise I'm thrilled about.
Did Sigma (or you) update the in-lens Firmware for K-3 / K-5?
05-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought I found a bug!!!...but no, I was wrong.

Just so others don't make the same conclusion...and of course I feel stupid now.

With the camera OFF, and you hit the illumination button, the lights will come on for the lens mount, and the SD card slots...and stay on...until you turn them off.

Which is normal functionality...since you do not want the power on when you change lenses and SD cards.

Doh! (and of course I knew that!)

Last edited by LaurenOE; 05-16-2016 at 02:43 PM.
05-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I found a bug!!! "Lauren Light Bug" With the camera OFF, and you hit the illumination button, the lights will come on for the lens mount, and the SD card slots...and stay on...until you turn them off. The lights are set correctly in the illumination settings. It should be that the lights should only operate with the camera ON.
It is stated so in the user manual. Makes sense, normally the camera should be Off when changing lenses, and it should still be possible to switch on the light on the lens mount or SD card slots.