Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #16
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
AF modes and points selection in the viewfinder: viewfinder display does not switch on when pressing the AF mode button (the button above the AF M lever), if light metering is Off. However, AF mode is being displayed when depression the Off mode button :-). So, you have to press two times. On the K3, pressing the AF mode button after 3 seconds (light meter goes Off) switches the viewfinder display On again so that we can change the AF mode anytime. Workaround for the K-1: set metering continuous, however, it's not meant to work this way.

I'd also say, honestly, every time I hit the AF mode lock button (the tiny button above the 4 ways controller), I almost hit the top button of the 4 way controller, so, from button layout standpoint, it's a poor implementation compared to K3 and K5, even on K200D the OK button was used which was smarter. If the Ok button could be configure to lock AF mode selection, that would be a nice workaround, otherwise, for a camera of this price I wonder if anyone using various AF modes selections when photographying has been consulted by Ricoh, or if anyone having large fingers has tried the camera regarding how to change AF modes back and forth. I know we have to get used to it everytime they move buttons and menus around, I can live with this... but it's just a pain to use, every-time, I just think, for a camera of this range (kinda pro level camera with 38Mp, pixel shift etc), it's not really acceptable to have a poor button layout of this case.

Please, update firmware so that "Green" button reset of center point AF (like it is used to reset exposure parameters), and "OK" button AF point selection lock.
I have read your post several times to understand what you mean and when I test what you say on my K-1 and K-3 the selection of focuspoint is possible even if the meter is off and has been of for some time before it auto shuts off. No need to press any other button than the 4 wheel buttons to start the focuspoint selection. Also displaying the AF mode is no need for more than one press on this button light up the display and let you change AF mode. Also I do not understand what button is "Off mode button"?

Can you please clarify?

05-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Wide open the FA31 and FA77 are showing f/1.7 on the screen, rather than f/1.8.
05-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Metzflash seems to work fine in HSS Mode. Try to use the HSS mode with 1/200s that should solve the problem
I did some experimented with my Metz 52 AF-1. If set to pTTL and "extended zoom" it will work in AV and X modes (did not experiment with other modes). In AV it reset the shutter speed but not to 1/200. In my "studio" (=basement) with an ambient light setting the TV to 1.3," the Metz reset the camera to either 1/50 or 1/125 after resetting the camera flash sync speed in a menu to 1/125 to 1/160 instead of 1/200. The flash zoomed correctly as the lens was zoomed (28~105MM), and gave correct exposure with both matrix or spot, the two that I tried. The Metz 44 AF-1 is probably lost to the K1 unless Pentax puts through something in firmware, as that Metz unit has no port for upgrades. I imagine Pentax/Ricoh would recommend a 360 II long before developing new K1 firmware for a competing brand of strobe.
05-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #19

Digital Camera Utility v.5.5.1 crashes when try to save PEF Super Resolution to DNG
Want to have fast screen off option as there is no face sensor!!! This is flagship! cycling info 3 times to turn it off is stupid! K5 and K200D have maked it better! you Pentax/Ricoh engineers are the best! So help

05-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

My K1 thinks my Sigma 70mm Macro and Sigma 28mm Macro are the same lens. When doing Micro AF adjustments, any change I made was carried over when other lens was mounted and Micro AF menu re-entered.
05-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

DCU 5.5.0 and DCU 5.5.1 didn't start up on a windows 7 64 Bit system with 16 GB main Memory. Only the splash screnn can be seen, nothing else.
05-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-1 Flaw Report

Hi

I am sorry having to report a small problem. At three occasions now my K-1 would not power up even after several attempts moving the lever on-off switch. Removing the battery fixed it. Total clicks stands at 1754 and the first time it happened was about the second day after delivery. (Maybe 50 clicks) First time it happened I did not take particular note of it, being a new instrument I thought due to my unfamiliarity I did something wrong.

I will keep an eye on it.

05-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What lens is mounted? Something similar to what you describe has been reported when certain model Sigma zooms are mounted to the camera. A potential fix is to have Sigma update the lens firmware.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Isn't there a thread dedicated for the K-1 "bugs" somewhere?
...And yes, there is a specific thread for logging K-1 problems. If one is having early issues of this sort, the first resort is the place from which the camera was purchased. They should help to work through any obvious causes and would be able to arrange an immediate replacement of the defective camera.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319873-post-k-1-bugs-issue...ack-ricoh.html

Steve
05-10-2016, 07:02 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What lens is mounted?
If you are referring to my flaw report if I remember correctly the first time it happened the Pentax FA 24-90 was mounted, second time Tamron 24-135 and yesterday the Pentax 60-250.
05-11-2016, 01:47 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Really strange program line with Tamron 70-300

With my Tamron 70-300, as I zoom from 70-300, the suggested aperture indoors starts at f4.5, then increases to f5.6, which makes sense, then suddenly jumps to f11.
That's in full auto with auto ISO (and it results in a really high ISO, obviously)

Indoors on the K10 and K01, it's always stayed close to or completely wide open, regardless of focal length, even with high ISO

It does the same thing outdoors, but with the extra light, the behavior is less weird than indoors with regular room light...

It's a little thing, and I can work around it, but it's annoying...

-Eric
05-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OBSERVATION: Several of the bugs reported may in some way relate to how a K1 reads or interprets focal-length data from either a lens or an after-market flash. That might partially account for the bug reported by TwoUptons just above, the problems with FL reported by TwoMoney and the problem reported by FS999 (K1 exif data recording a 150~500 SIgma as 8 255). Also note that a Metz 52 AF1 will not fire at all in normal pTTL mode, but if the flash is set to "extended zoom" where the flash reflector is set one FL step wider than what the lens is communicating, the flash works perfectly. Are lenses and after-market flash units communicating APS-C FL data in some way that confuses the K1 looking for "clean" FF focal length data?
05-12-2016, 12:50 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
K-1 Flaw Report
I am afraid I have to add another observation of the same problem.

Today I changed the lens from the Tamron 24-135 and mounted the 150-450. First boot up with the 150-450 worked o.k.
Second boot attempt, no luck. Camera did not boot. I flicked the switch back and forth a few times without success. I did not remove the battery this time but waited approx. 15 seconds but still no success. Waited another approx. 30 seconds but camera still was not able to be turned on. However after another 30 seconds the problem disappeared and I could now fire up the camera. Following all that the problem did not re-appear for the rest of the day.

Cheers

---------- Post added 12-05-16 at 06:20 PM ----------

Hi

I am afraid I have to report another problem.

Instant review is playing up sometimes. After a shot is taken the review appears automatically according to the setting in camera menu page 5.
From time to time the image review after a shot was taken will either not show at all or be seen only for a fraction of a second. Turning camera on and off will not reliably remedy this problem and it will often take a number of off-on activations to finally get the review stay in place for the time it was nominated to do so in the menu. I have tried all settings from 1sec duration to hold, the problem as described above remains.

The problem is not consistent, I can go for hours without it happening and then suddenly it will show up for the next four or 5 shots. It is also not lens specific.Very annoying.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 05-12-2016 at 02:32 AM. Reason: typo
05-12-2016, 02:56 AM   #28
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I am afraid I have to add another observation of the same problem.

Today I changed the lens from the Tamron 24-135 and mounted the 150-450. First boot up with the 150-450 worked o.k.
Second boot attempt, no luck. Camera did not boot. I flicked the switch back and forth a few times without success. I did not remove the battery this time but waited approx. 15 seconds but still no success. Waited another approx. 30 seconds but camera still was not able to be turned on. However after another 30 seconds the problem disappeared and I could now fire up the camera. Following all that the problem did not re-appear for the rest of the day.

Cheers

---------- Post added 12-05-16 at 06:20 PM ----------

Hi

I am afraid I have to report another problem.

Instant review is playing up sometimes. After a shot is taken the review appears automatically according to the setting in camera menu page 5.
From time to time the image review after a shot was taken will either not show at all or be seen only for a fraction of a second. Turning camera on and off will not reliably remedy this problem and it will often take a number of off-on activations to finally get the review stay in place for the time it was nominated to do so in the menu. I have tried all settings from 1sec duration to hold, the problem as described above remains.

The problem is not consistent, I can go for hours without it happening and then suddenly it will show up for the next four or 5 shots. It is also not lens specific.Very annoying.

Cheers
Sounds like your camera needs to be replaced. Non of these problems has happened on my unit. Using the 150-450 without a hitch for 10 days straight, shifting lenses with 15-30, 24-70, 35-80, 16-50 etc.

---------- Post added 05-12-16 at 11:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
My K1 thinks my Sigma 70mm Macro and Sigma 28mm Macro are the same lens. When doing Micro AF adjustments, any change I made was carried over when other lens was mounted and Micro AF menu re-entered.
You are not by accident using the Global adjustment?
05-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
You are not by accident using the Global adjustment?
Fair enough question, but no. I am very familiar with the Micro AF process and the "Apply All" versus "Apply One" choices. I won't use the "Apply All" function. I've found lens specific calibrations to be much more effective.

It's very possible the K1 firmware database isn't fully up to specs yet. Both are older lenses and the chips may be being read improperly.

If they weren't both macro lenses, I don't think I'd care that much, or would have even attempted to adjust the 28mm.
05-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Actually it might be Sigma using the same lens ID for both lenses. Pentax firmware don't have a Sigma lens database anyway, and you'll never see an update for Sigma lenses.