Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #76

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finding K-1 light switch in the dark

Not a bug, not an "issue", but I found myself smiling when I discovered i needed a flashlight to find the little switch to turn on the K1 lights in the dark. Would have been nice if it was a glow in the dark button or connected to the depth-of-field preview lever.

05-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stubyles Quote
I normally shoot with the main LCD turned off so I have to turn LV on to change drive mode.
Using LiveView isn't required to do that. With the rear LCD turned off, just press the top button of the four-way controller on the rear of the body. The rear LCD turns on while you make your drive mode choices. Other Pentaxes work the same way.
05-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the RAW/Fx1 button set up in the default way and my usual mode is RAW+. When the button is pressed, it works (i.e. it will record a JPEG-only image), but the RAW+ indicator in the viewfinder does not turn off (which makes it quite difficult to know what mode you're in if you have sound effects off). This is with the v1.00 firmware.

Last edited by fotomarc; 05-18-2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: clarifying
05-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Using LiveView isn't required to do that. With the rear LCD turned off, just press the top button of the four-way controller on the rear of the body. The rear LCD turns on while you make your drive mode choices.
Well, on several occasions now I've noticed that this doesn't always work. The display remains dark, regardless of which button of the four-way controller I press. I've not found a systematic way to reproduce that, else I'd have posted a report. Sometimes this ... erroneous behaviour goes away from it's own, sometimes I have to turn the camera off and then on again. I'm using a wide mix of lenses now (for testing purposes), thus there are Sigma lenses involved, but I'm quite certain to have had that specific failure to turn on the display with my FA 24-90.

Every other operation that's meant to turn on the display did (as activating LV etc.). And no, I hadn't set the four-way controller for AF point selection, and neither had I pressed the tiny button right atop of it.

Strange.

Last edited by funktionsfrei; 05-18-2016 at 10:56 PM. Reason: one quote would be enough
05-18-2016, 11:07 PM   #80
Veteran Member

The Dust alert is missing - instead a useless conformance page is available,

05-19-2016, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Using LiveView isn't required to do that. With the rear LCD turned off, just press the top button of the four-way controller on the rear of the body. The rear LCD turns on while you make your drive mode choices. Other Pentaxes work the same way.
That's what I had with the K-3.
Just figured it out, you have to press the AF Point Select button first to change the mode of the Four way controller, then it pops up with the drive choices on the screen.
05-19-2016, 04:46 AM   #82
Unregistered User

When using wifi and the app and I put the camera in Bulb I can release and reset the shutter even with the C-6 set to 1 or 2, i.e it acts like if set to 2. This is as I would expect it to work.

But if I would like to turn on the GPS the app assumes it is in Astrotracer mode even if astrotracer is not activated. B stops to work.

Also I would like it to be possible to trigger the Astrotracer using the app.

05-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Issue with Liveview focus in low light on a FA*250-600

(x-posted on the 300mm thread)
This week, I went testing my new acquisition with the FA*250-600
I went to my spot where fox cabs shows at the end of the day...

they showed, but quite late after the sunset...

I was able to manage this shot at 600mm, lowered the shutter to 1/640s, wide open at f5.6, and boosted the iso at 6400
minimal PP on this one: raise the exposure 1 stop, applied a very little bit of clarity+presence+saturation (no sharpness or NR applied).

Renard roux / Red Fox [Vulpes vulpes]
by Sylvain Cote, sur Flickr

However, what I found weird, is the AF was really hunting in liveview mode in dimmed light condition, whereas the viewfinder mode has no problem...
I have to switch bac to viewfinder because liveview was unable to get focus

I am wondering if it's just a special condition or a bug in liveview mode in dimmed light?
05-19-2016, 09:14 PM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
I am wondering if it's just a special condition or a bug in liveview mode in dimmed light?
I'm rather sure it isn't a bug.

Liveview uses CDAF (contrast-based) whereas standard AF uses PDAF (phase-detect). Pentax's PDAF system is very sensitive (down to -3EV) and while I'm not aware of the minimal light level required for a standard CDAF solution, I think it is fair to say that CDAF will at the very least be slower and probably not obtain locks earlier when light levels decrease.
05-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #85
Veteran Member

As far as i know the liveview CDAF is not so sensitive as PDAF, but it is the same with all my pentax Kameras. if it's really darl you'll better use the PDAF.

Not directly K-1 but integral part of the system because the App only works with the K-1.
Add a simple shutter release to the App's. There must be a way to execute bracketing from remote, that it is possible you can see in the lightroom plugin - it works fine there.
05-20-2016, 03:34 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by theEight Quote
Not a bug, not an "issue", but I found myself smiling when I discovered i needed a flashlight to find the little switch to turn on the K1 lights in the dark. Would have been nice if it was a glow in the dark button or connected to the depth-of-field preview lever.
Soon among accessories for the K1, Ricoh will offer a one LCD button-battery powered light that clips onto the neck strap, with a Pentax logo, in sixteen colors (plus a limited edition camouflage version designed by LL Bean, just for wildlife photographers). Is silly allowed on this thread?
05-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
a bug in liveview mode in dimmed light?
It seems a general CDAF deficiency.

Case in point: mirrorless APS-C/FF cameras from any manufacturer that can AF decently in low-light are uncommon. Sony only has the A7S/A7SII that can do -3 EV or better in CDAF. The original A7r could only do 0 EV AF, and even the 'latest-and-greatest' A7RII can only [nominally] do -2 EV AF.
05-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, thanks guys... I am reassured now! :-)
05-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #89
Veteran Member

K1 Bug season comes early this year

While reviewing some shots ,I get this on the screen & camera locks up!! power off & still on had to yank battery..
in R+J mode ,maybe buffer was not totally cleared? & when I tired to zoom out it locked up
The day before was a strange thing also ,but can't remember..but did not lock up
San Disk extreme pro 128GB card.. DA*300 lens on ,only option on was highlight correction,AFC,Cont. shooting High
any ideas or anyone else get locked out ??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jw2vurihy2x0sry/K1%20buggies.jpg?dl=0
05-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #90

I take it clicking the OK button on the 4 way controller did nothing.

Try a different card. Copy the offending file(s) to another card and see if you get the problem.

Could you upload an offending RAW file to dropbox and see if the problem can be reproduced by another K-1 owner?

Perhaps this thread should be merged in to the problem/trouble shooting thread?