Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@biz-engineer

I agree and already know that, but in both situation (camera LCD or computer's LCD) the recorded image data in the dark area should be the same. But that's not the case : I can see way more details in the dark areas in the camera's LCD than on my PC monitor, even if I brighten the extracted images, they aren't there, VLC and and all the other player and NLE software seem to apply a gamma value that darken everything. I'll demonstrate this in details with screenshots when back home. You can easily make this test too if you have VLC installed. Just reproduce those steps :
  1. Record a scene where you have dark areas that shades to black
  2. Copy the file on your PC
  3. Play the files on the camera, and on the PC with VLC. Make a pause to the same point
  4. Compare the dark area. A this point, you could make a screenshot of your PC display and edit it to lighten the image and bring back detail, but there's no data to extract, the dark areas are clipped.
  5. Stop the video with VLC, edit de Preferences of VLC ("All" mode in the bottom left) and in the Filter section, set the Gamma value of the Image Adjustment filter to 1.35, and play the movie again. In this case, VLC will decode the video with a different gamma and extract more details in the dark areas that was not there previously. You don't even need to lighten your image and the overall look will match what you see on the camera, minus the LCD luminosity parameter.

I think it's pretty obvious that you shouldn't have to change the player's gamma value to extract the same details in the shadows.

06-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #152
Veteran Member

I've posted a comment in the thread that I opened for the gamma issue.
06-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #153
Unregistered User

I don't know if this has been posted but I would like the green button to reset the focus point to center when focus point selection is activated in the OVF. To manually return it every time drives me nuts. Or is there a way I missed?
06-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I don't know if this has been posted but I would like the green button to reset the focus point to center when focus point selection is activated in the OVF. To manually return it every time drives me nuts. Or is there a way I missed?
Press the "OK" button at the center of the 4-way.

06-04-2016, 12:30 AM   #155
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Press the "OK" button at the center of the 4-way.
Of course. Thanks alot! I have pressed pretty much every button but not the ok...
06-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #156
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I will be returning this camera, but for now it would be interesting to see what you guys think and whether anyone else has had this issue.
I had the same problem with K-1 mirror and firmware 1.00.
Now I'm testing 1.10 firmware and not faced with the problem yet.
Please, tell us which firmware version do you use?
06-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #157
Veteran Member

One more thing to fix : when in video mode, Manual program, the wheels' settings are ignored, it's Aperture for the rear wheel and Time value for the front one, despite the reattribution in the Menu.

06-04-2016, 07:53 PM   #158
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by managger Quote
I had the same problem with K-1 mirror and firmware 1.00.
Now I'm testing 1.10 firmware and not faced with the problem yet.
Please, tell us which firmware version do you use?
firmware 1.10 was installed as soon as it was available, it's made no difference. I believe my problem is hardware related.

Today when set on mirror lock up it again prompted the issue three times when I went to use LV.

The camera works fine other than when this happens, but it seems the problem will persist until I send this camera back for a repair or replacement.
06-04-2016, 11:58 PM   #159
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
firmware 1.10 was installed as soon as it was available, it's made no difference. I believe my problem is hardware related.
Today when set on mirror lock up it again prompted the issue three times when I went to use LV.
The camera works fine other than when this happens, but it seems the problem will persist until I send this camera back for a repair or replacement.
1. I had problems with mirror not only in live-view mode like you, but in standard mode too. Camera started to shoot some kind of "double-exposure" pictures with two-headed and four-armed people. And I think that camera is trying to do picture in the mirror lock up mode by itself, without me Of course it's hardware problem because of new mirror mechanism.
2. After firmware upgrade to 1.10 version both problems (in live-view mode and in standard mode) are gone in my camera. But I am not sure that problems are gone forever. May be I can not repeat yet the beginning conditions of the bug. Your information is very useful - 1.10 version of firmware does not fix hardware problems.
06-05-2016, 03:45 AM   #160
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Ariis Quote
One more thing to fix : when in video mode, Manual program, the wheels' settings are ignored, it's Aperture for the rear wheel and Time value for the front one, despite the reattribution in the Menu.
In Video menu 2 you edit these settings. They are independent of stills settings.
06-05-2016, 04:55 AM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
In Video menu 2 you edit these settings. They are independent of stills settings.
Thanks Tjompen1968
06-05-2016, 05:19 AM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by managger Quote
1. I had problems with mirror not only in live-view mode like you, but in standard mode too. Camera started to shoot some kind of "double-exposure" pictures with two-headed and four-armed people.
The K1 has a mode that takes multiple images then combines them into a single image. Look/search for images posted by Kengoh that show four images of a kingfisher flying into its nest hole. Maybe the camera was somehow slipping into that mode.
06-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My Tamron 28-75 requires identical correction on K-1. But it also requires similar correction on the K-3, but not so much on the K-5, and on the K-x it is perfect. It's a strange lens. Under most circumstances the correction comes close enough to give good results, especially if you shoot f3.5+.
The correction depends mainly on the body, because the PDAF sensor can be misaligned when manufacturing the camera. For those interested, this is an interesting article about how PDAF works, see the DSLR Autofocus Problems paragraph.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I agree that it would be nice if the range of K-1 in-camera AF correction could be expanded. +/-10 just isn't enough sometimes.
If Ricoh is listening, I still emphasis that -10/+10 is not enough for my Tammy. Either they expand the range in a future firmware update, or I'll have to send my K-1 for repair
06-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #164
Pentaxian

problem with Wireless P-TTL

Hi,

I'm trying P-TTL wireless flash with an AF 540 FGZ and an AF 360 FGZ but seems that I found a bug when I would obtain a Controller - Slave set up. I do all the settings in the flashes and I use already this set up with a k-r, flash does the prelamp and fires only when I take the picture (then no SLAVE 2, but I already checked this).

Now see the behaviors:
EXPOSURE without flash 1/80 - f/2,8 - ISO AUTO at 400:

I'm in front of the coffe can and the external flash is on my right. Both 1,5m far from the coffee can. In the bottle you can see the refletions of flashes , in the coffee can the amount of light from both flash that take part of the exposure.

FIRST TEST. SCENE ANALYZE AUTO. Overexposed. In the viewfinder I see, in the meter section, 1/80 f/8.0 ISO AUTO (no info about ISO value then). Then I take the picture..... The picture instead it's taken at 1/80 f/2,8 ISO 400, then the exposure without flash !!!.
Check that the bottle has 2 reflections, and also the coffee can has a blade of light in camera direction.

SECOND TEST. PROGRAM. Overexposed. In the viewfinder I see, in the meter section, 1/80 f/8.0 ISO AUTO (no info about ISO value then). Then I take the picture.....The picture instead it's taken at 1/80 f/2,8 ISO 400.
Check that the bottle has 2 reflections, and also the coffee can has a blade of light in camera direction.

THIRD TEST. PROGRAM but with f/5,6 set by me, then in Av Hyper. Settings are 1/80 f/5,6 ISO AUTO. In the viewfinder I don't have info of the value that will be used. Checking the picture I see that the camera uses ISO 800. Check the shadow of the leaves in the wall.

FOURTH TEST. PROGRAM but with f/5,6 and ISO 100 set by me (time 1/80). Heavy underexposed. Now the flash in the right is strong but also the "controller" light takes part of the exposure.

FIFTH TEST. PROGRAM but with f/5,6 and ISO 400 set by me (time 1/80). Underexposed. The light is more balanced, the flash in the right is clearly visible but also the "controller" light takes part of the exposure.

SIXTH TEST. Take a k-r, use the same set up. . PROGRAM (in AUTO is the same) ISO AUTO. In the viewfinder I see the same values that will has the picture. In the bottle you can see two reflections but checking the coffe can I can affirm that "controller" don't take part of the exposure.

IMHO this is a k-1 bug. Are you sure that RICOH's men read this forum?

Best Regards
06-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #165

Hi, I've got the problem with "mode ring" ... it doesn't work ... the camera works only in "M" mode... no Av, Tv and others ...
please lock at the url:
and