Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #166
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What happens if you stick it in Green Mode?

06-06-2016, 07:18 PM   #167
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had mine freeze in live view after I turned it off, so I dropped the battery out, reinserted it, and all was well.
06-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #168
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Today when set on mirror lock up it again prompted the issue three times when I went to use LV.
I tried your method but can not repeat this bug.
So, I've got the third one. On Sunday my camera turned off after nearly 20 minutes and 200 shots. Battery replacing solved the problem, but I'm so tired of all this lottery and today will go to the service.

---------- Post added 7th Jun 2016 at 09:18 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by simon1982 Quote
Hi, I've got the problem with "mode ring" ... it doesn't work ... the camera works only in "M" mode... no Av, Tv and others .
We have allready discussed absolutely the same problem in Russian Pentax community. It's not a software bug, it's hardware issue. One guy allready returned his camera after a week of repairing. You definitely need to go to the service.
06-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #169
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simon1982 Quote
Hi, I've got the problem with "mode ring" ... it doesn't work ... the camera works only in "M" mode... no Av, Tv and others ...
please lock at the url: https://youtu.be/lTF4cIH9fsk and https://youtu.be/n8zEMcGyDsg
Today I am having the same issue, stuck in manual and mode dial is not working...

A reset did not help.

Looks like it's failed, back to the dealer unless anyone has any ideas

Last edited by ukspeedtraps; 06-07-2016 at 02:05 PM.
06-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #170

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Today I had my phone with me to capture some images of the issue I am having with my K-1.

I was outside in bright daylight when it occured so unfortunately the reflection off the screen has made it hard to show what I am seeing.

The two images following show my K-1 in LV and what appears to be a bracket. The bracket being black means the bracket is hard to define as the screen is reflecting an image of my phone. However you can see the LV working as the scene can be identified around the bracket at the top of the screen and through some slots on each side of the bracket.

So as you look at these photos what do you think I'm looking at (when you also consider the previous thread entries I've posted on this issue)?

I will be returning this camera, but for now it would be interesting to see what you guys think and whether anyone else has had this issue.

Tas
This happened to me over the weekend. Plus two other interesting glitches.

I was shooting a high school graduation. Indoors with my Sigma 70-200 all was fine. When the ceremony wrapped and moved outdoors (very bright and sunny and about 83 degrees) I switched to my Sigma 24-70.

The "glitch" happened first. Now I'm not certain it was a glitch yet or something I did, but after several rounds of high speed continuous shooting of kids exiting the building, I would stop, then shoot again as more kids came out. Suddenly I couldn't shoot. It was as if the buffer was full (I don't believe it was), but it was several or more seconds before I could do anything again. Later, it didn't happen at all. I need to see if I can recreate this before declaring it a bug.

The second glitch relates to apparent over exposure as shown on the preview. I was shooting in TAv mode, and after a good number of normal shots the preview started suddenly showing me blown out exposures. I couldn't figure it out. At one point in a panic I dropped the EV compensation way down and that seemed to help as far as the preview was concerned. However when I got home and offloaded the RAW files, all the photos that were "overexposed" where spot on, and the ones I compensated with EV where underexposed. Weird!

I did see Tas's issue too. I had both on purpose and accidentally switched to and from Live View (for some over-the-crowd shots, other times by accident because I am used to the Play button being elsewhere on the K3), and on more than one occasion the camera would fail to return fully from live view, whereby the mirror seemed to be stuck in the up position and the view finder was black. Other times Live View would only show at the top 1/4 of the screen with the bottom 3/4 mostly black. Again, as if the mirror wasn't fully actuated in the correct direction.

Curiously, after power cycling the camera for one of these episodes, the overexposure problem I mentioned above suddenly went away,

Because of the shooting situation I was in, I couldn't troubleshoot and just power-cycled to clear the problem in order to move on.

Will investigate and try to replicate at a later time when my schedule clears. In the meantime I just wanted to give a "me too" to Tas.
06-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ukspeedtraps Quote
Today I am having the same issue, stuck in manual and mode dial is not working... A reset did not help. Looks like it's failed, back to the dealer unless anyone has any ideas
Seems like you are trying to put the mode dial in between too positions. I did not have the idea to do this to put the camera at fault. I will try if I can screw up my K1 (if that the goal...).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-07-2016 at 02:43 PM.
06-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #172
Forum Member

I just turned it on. It was in AV mode yet everything was in manual. I then moved the dial and nothing changed. Checked all the locks, pulled the battery, checked the lens and even a reset and still no response.

I am taking a guess it's faulty I will see what SRS suggests in the morning.

06-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #173
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ukspeedtraps Quote
Today I am having the same issue, stuck in manual and mode dial is not working...
A reset did not help.
Looks like it's failed, back to the dealer unless anyone has any ideas
Again, it's definitely hardware issue, some contact is lost,
repair is easy and not very long,
but you need to go to the service.
06-08-2016, 12:06 AM   #174
Forum Member

I tried every option last night to reset and nothing. My only concern is it is 35 days old and it's going to get pulled apart to fix it. Nothing ever goes back the same way. Oh well that's left a bad taste, first new camera in 15 years and I get this. I hope it's not a sign of things to come.
06-08-2016, 03:35 AM   #175
Forum Member

Problem with SD 128 Gb Kingston SA3 on slot 1 only (slot 2 works)

Dear All

I confirm the SD problem of pony97 described in p.8 of this thread

I had planned to use a pair of Kingston SDA3 128Gb SD cards that are fast (80 Mb/s write) and inexpensive
SDHC/SDXC UHS-I U3 Card - 16GB-512GB | Kingston

I first inserted one single card into slot 1 and formatted with the Settings>Format option of the menu. The formatting happened nicely.

But since then, after each shot, the buffer led blinks orange for a super-long time (between 6 and 10 seconds for one single PEF). The picture can be seen in instant display.
But when I try to display the picture by pressing the Play button, an error message appears on a black screen saying "This image cannot be displayed".
I have to switch the camera off and on, then go to Play for displaying the image. This means the image is recorded, but probably very slowly.

I noticed that this problem does not occur when I use only one SD card in slot 2. In this case, the camera runs smoothly and the buffer led never blinks more than 2-3 seconds per PEF image.

The cards also seem to work flawlessly and at full speed when used in a USB3 card reader.
I suspect a SD card compatibility or SD slot issue. The fact that the same card works differently in slot 1 and 2 is strange.

This problem happened with firmware 1.00 and still happens with v1.10.

For pony97: slot2 is your friend :-) You should try it.

Let's wait for a firmware update.

JC
06-08-2016, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Viewfinder Light disabled when a manual lens is mounted

By pressing and holding the AF Mode button the red viewfinder light (which flashes when focus is locked or AF point is moved) can be held ON. This function is useful while composing and spot metering in dim light.

This function apparently only works with automatic lenses. When a manual lens (A or earlier) is mounted this function does not work. Suggest at next FW Update this function should work with manual lenses.
06-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #177
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
Will investigate and try to replicate at a later time when my schedule clears. In the meantime I just wanted to give a "me too" to Tas.
It's a shame to hear it's not a one-off issue just with my copy which is what I was hoping. Ah well, when it happens again take note of what you're settings are as I find that selecting LV whilst you're in mirror lock-up does seem to prompt the issue more, though I've had it occur when in other drive modes too. It also seems to occur when not using LV, however the only way of determining this is the additional noise the shutter makes. The noise is quite distinct from the normally smooth and subdued shutter sound.

Tas
06-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #178
Pentaxian

Pentax K-1 and AF540FGZ flash: no right HSS with "A" lenses

Today I noticed that Pentax K-1 camera does a "bad" job while using "A" manual lenses in Av mode and Pentax AF540FGZII flash in HSS mode. In case the exposure should be more than 1/200s (bright light condition), camera uses 1/8000s only. And in csae the exposure should be less than 1/200s, camera uses 1/200s only. No other exposures possible. It means that while using lenses with aperture 1.2-1.4 or similar in the sunny day, you can't use flash in HSS mode to correctly expose picture, e.g. when you need to fill shadows on the face).
This is in contrast with my Pentax K-5II, that CAN USE different exposures with "A" lenses when flash is in HSS mode (exposure changes every time according to the brightness of enviroment or object in focus - adaptive metering).
It's a pitty.
With FA, DFA lenses K-1 is doing the job right. So I think something is changed in K-1 firmware and could be corrected in firmware update.
By the way, I also noticed that adaptive metering is possible in K-5II camera while using non-A manual lenses and flash in HSS mode. It is interesting, because camera do that about 3-5 seconds after the shot, that is exposed by 1/180s. In these 3-5 seconds you can make another shot with flash that is exposed correctly.

---------- Post added 06-11-16 at 08:11 PM ----------

I tried "A" lense and another non-A lense (Helios 40-2) on the Pentax K-1 and found no issue with red viewfinder light. When the object is in focus, red viewfinder light blinks once, that is confirming focus. The same I see using Pentax k-5II - red viewfinder light blinks just on time.
Or maybe I did not understand your post correctly?
06-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Pentax K-1 and AF540FGZ flash: no right HSS with "A" lenses

Today I noticed that Pentax K-1 camera does a "bad" job while using "A" manual lenses in Av mode and Pentax AF540FGZII flash in HSS mode. In case the exposure should be more than 1/200s (bright light condition), camera uses 1/8000s only. And in csae the exposure should be less than 1/200s, camera uses 1/200s only. No other exposures possible. It means that while using lenses with aperture 1.2-1.4 or similar in the sunny day, you can't use flash in HSS mode to correctly expose picture, e.g. when you need to fill shadows on the face).
This is in contrast with my Pentax K-5II, that CAN USE different exposures with "A" lenses when flash is in HSS mode (exposure changes every time according to the brightness of enviroment or object in focus - adaptive metering).
It's a pitty.
With FA, DFA lenses K-1 is doing the job right. So I think something is changed in K-1 firmware and could be corrected in firmware update.
[COLOR="Silver"]
Was going to respond to your post before you deleted.
Verified on my camera too, compared with a K-5, I tried both 360FGZ and 360FGZII flashes. It's an odd omission, perhaps something to do with the new metering system? Hopefully just a simple oversight that can be corrected by a firmware update.

There is no way to set up a situation for shooting HSS with a set ISO (ie. 100) and aperture (ie. 1.4) on an "A" lens to get proper exposure. 1/200 can overexpose the ambient light and 1/8000 will usually kill whatever ambient light you may want in the photo.
06-11-2016, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #180
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote

Today I noticed that Pentax K-1 camera does a "bad" job while using "A" manual lenses in Av mode and Pentax AF540FGZII flash in HSS mode.
This is user error, Medex.

Use M, Tv or TAv modes for HSS.

It's in the manual.