Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2016, 12:23 AM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
This is user error, Medex.

Use M, Tv or TAv modes for HSS.

It's in the manual.
Thank you, Clackers.
I will try other modes. But this is not the same as you know. I need constant aperture and ISO, not constant shutter speed and changing aperture (Tv), and not changing ISO (TAv). M mode is ok, but not so fast and accomodative to environment as Av that I was capable to use on Pentax K-5ii.

06-12-2016, 03:08 AM   #182
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Thank you, Clackers.
I will try other modes. But this is not the same as you know. I need constant aperture and ISO, not constant shutter speed and changing aperture (Tv), and not changing ISO (TAv). M mode is ok, but not so fast and accomodative to environment as Av that I was capable to use on Pentax K-5ii.
The K-5 ii manual also does not list Av as a supported mode.

Just go M, it's not a big deal, and you are firmly in control. ☺
06-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 ii manual also does not list Av as a supported mode.

Just go M, it's not a big deal, and you are firmly in control. ☺
Well it is a big deal. In rapidly changing light it is cumbersome to constantly fiddle with the shutter speed. The camera lost useful functionality it used to have, and for no apparent reason. An "A" lens should work as well as any F/FA/DA/DFA in this kind of situation.
To be extra clear, despite what the manual might say, HSS in AV mode does work with F/FA/DA/DFA, just not with an "A" lens anymore.

In addition,it looks like it should still work, since the shutter-speed DOES change, but only toggling between 1/200s and 1/8000s. That is why it appears to be a bug.
06-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #184
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Well it is a big deal. In rapidly changing light it is cumbersome to constantly fiddle with the shutter speed.
You always have to 'fiddle' with one of the settings, and the shutter speed is the one we'd prefer, not the aperture, because it controls the ambient setting only.

If you change the aperture, you change two variables - ambient and flash quantities..

You also know, as a photographer, straight away if it will be an HSS shot or a normal, slow speed sync shot.

To be extra clear, despite what the manual might say, HSS in AV mode does work with F/FA/DA/DFA, just not with an "A" lens anymore..

I sense you're confused.

HSS requires P-TTL, and P-TTL requires subject distance ... an autofocus lens is required, your A lens doesn't qualify.

Try anything else at your peril.

06-14-2016, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #185
Veteran Member

I sense you're confused.
You're really condescending.

By changing the aperture I also control DOF, besides the quantities of light.
Imagine yourself in a situation please, you want to shoot your fast lens wide open outdoors in the harsh sun with a little fill flash, you also want top IQ so you want base ISO. Sometimes you might want to stop down a smaller aperture depending on the shot. We're looking to shoot in the fastest way possible.
In this scenario, we're looking to keep both f-stop and ISO constant. So you really have two choices, Manual or Aperture Priority modes.

Av mode with HSS enabled will keep the shutter speed above an appropriate level (>1:1 w/ focal length) when the ambient light dips forcing the flash to a slow-synchro, or go all the way to 1/8000s if the ambient light dictates. The flash is always giving an appropriate amount of fill for whatever aperture you want, while exposing perfectly for ambient too. All you need to concern yourself with is composition, focus, and Av value, unless there is an aspect of the shot where you desire a certain shutter speed too.

Manual mode does none of that, I always have to watch the exposure meter and tweak shutter speed accordingly. While as a photographer I know when it is HSS or Slow-Synchro, the flash is actually perfectly capable of making that distinction too. Moving the shutter speed around in M doesn't take much time, but it is more work than Av.

You'll find most photographers can appreciate an automated system when it works well, M is not the only choice on the dial for good reason: it's what the market wants.

------------------------------------------

Regarding the A lens, why does the system work on K-5/K-5II without subject distance, but not K-1? Can subject distance not be estimated from focus confirm?

Open your mind a little. There is conflicting evidence of how the system works and has worked with an A lens, so Ricoh should investigate it further. Medex expected the camera to work like his previous one, now it doesn't. This is a classic support issue/bug that Ricoh should address.

Last edited by Mock; 06-14-2016 at 05:29 PM.
06-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #186

Explain why the A lens works on K-5? You might have to pick up a camera and try things out instead of regurgitating the manual.
Explain why why green button metering works on the K10D/K20D when no lens or a lens with a non-conductive base is mounted but not on later bodies. Explain you can't set ISO to auto in manual mode on the K10D but you can on later bodies.

Why? Because Pentax, later Hoya, and now Ricoh changed something. Who knows the reason why the engineers would change somethings - the catch all phrase is "for greater stability". If something works as documented in the manual then it is not a "bug". If something works and is not covered in the manual then it is an "undocumented feature" - a euphemism for a "bug". Undocumented features either get fixed (removed) or documented and become a feature.
06-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Explain why why green button metering works on the K10D/K20D when no lens or a lens with a non-conductive base is mounted but not on later bodies. Explain you can't set ISO to auto in manual mode on the K10D but you can on later bodies.

Why? Because Pentax, later Hoya, and now Ricoh changed something. Who knows the reason why the engineers would change somethings - the catch all phrase is "for greater stability". If something works as documented in the manual then it is not a "bug". If something works and is not covered in the manual then it is an "undocumented feature" - a euphemism for a "bug". Undocumented features either get fixed (removed) or documented and become a feature.
Exactly, then it would be wise of us to get an answer from Ricoh on this. Instead, Clackers is happy to contain and dismiss.

06-15-2016, 03:41 AM   #188
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Moving the shutter speed around in M doesn't take much time, but it is more work than Av.
(Sigh)

Moving the shutter dial takes exactly the same time as to move the aperture dial, Mock.

If you're manually setting the ISO because you don't trust the camera, you should already be in M mode. It's why we've got DSLRs in the first place - to control. You do your bit with the ambient and the camera will expose flash correctly.

Go to TAv mode if you must, that certainly works with my A type Samyang 24mm.

If you just do Av, people have complained it will refuse to go above 1/30s when it's dark and you lose your ambient. You've got to remember to put it into Slow Sync mode, never an issue with TAv, M or Tv.

You'll find most photographers can appreciate an automated system when it works well, M is not the only choice on the dial for good reason: it's what the market wants..
?

Av is no more an automated mode than Tv, and less than TAv.

it would be wise of us to get an answer from Ricoh on this. Instead, Clackers is happy to contain and dismiss.
Why would you listen to Ricoh or me? You've done neither so far.

Your K-5 manual will also not list Av mode as one to use with HSS.

My K-30 cannot go *slower* than 1/180s in Av mode with that Samyang if the flash is set to HSS. Again, complain all we like, that mode is not supported on the K-30 according to the manual.

Last edited by clackers; 06-15-2016 at 03:29 PM.
06-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #189

My K-1 LCD screen won't turn on after I use the wifi remote with my cellphone image sync app(Actually I'mnot really sure if the usage of the app caused the LCD die or not.)
I can't turn the screen on now no matter I press menu/LV/info anything that should trigger the LCD on. It's just black out like it's out of order...
06-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hadogumu Quote
My K-1 LCD screen won't turn on after I use the wifi remote with my cellphone image sync app(Actually I'mnot really sure if the usage of the app caused the LCD die or not.)
I can't turn the screen on now no matter I press menu/LV/info anything that should trigger the LCD on. It's just black out like it's out of order...
Do you mean small screen on the top of camera?
06-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #191

Do you mean small screen on the top of camera?
no, i mean the main LCD screen(the one on the back) is dead now...
no matter what button I press it just can't turn it on.
I haven't even touch/crash my K-1during and after the wifi connection so I guess it's some kind of bug rather than a hardware issue maybe?
06-15-2016, 09:22 AM   #192
Pentaxian

no, i mean the main LCD screen(the one on the back) is dead now...
no matter what button I press it just can't turn it on.
I haven't even touch/crash my K-1during and after the wifi connection so I guess it's some kind of bug rather than a hardware issue maybe?
Try to power off the camera and remove the battery. Then insert it again ant power on. Do you see any info on the lcd screen during power on?
06-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #193

Try to power off the camera and remove the battery. Then insert it again ant power on. Do you see any info on the lcd screen during power on?
I have already tried that before... nothing, absolutely nothing just like it's dead... how strange is that...
06-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #194
Pentaxian

I have already tried that before... nothing, absolutely nothing just like it's dead... how strange is that...
Yes. It is strange. I did try wi-fi once but no problems occured after that. And how about shooting the camera? Does it make images normaly?
06-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #195

Yes. It is strange. I did try wi-fi once but no problems occured after that. And how about shooting the camera? Does it make images normaly?
the camera takes images normally, i can still use it to take pictures, however i cannot do anything related to the LCD including review photos and do any setting in menu because the screen won't turn on...