Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hadogumu Quote
the camera takes images normally, i can still use it to take pictures, however i cannot do anything related to the LCD including review photos and do any setting in menu because the screen won't turn on...
It is very sad. Did you install newest firmware version before using wi-fi?

06-15-2016, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #197
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect the HSS change in K-1 has to do with enhanced electronics, 1/200 shutter and the fact that 'A' lenses are not chipped. The camera does not know exactly what lens is mounted.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Exactly, then it would be wise of us to get an answer from Ricoh on this. Instead, Clackers is happy to contain and dismiss.
06-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #198
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Hadogumu Quote
the camera takes images normally, i can still use it to take pictures, however i cannot do anything related to the LCD including review photos and do any setting in menu because the screen won't turn on...
Do you get some kind of message when trying to use the LCD?
06-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #199

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
It is very sad. Did you install newest firmware version before using wi-fi?
yes, I did. Maybe I should contact the repair service tomorrow...

---------- Post added 06-16-16 at 01:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Do you get some kind of message when trying to use the LCD?
Nothing, just like it's dead and give no response to anything I do...

06-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #200

I have got mine replaced cause of "Mode dial Failure" problem.

But on the new one, there is a noise i find strange and i'm really not sure it was there on the previous one.
When I half-press the shutter there is the electromagnets that activate to maintain the sensor and if I release the shutter I can hear a "clunk", i believe that is the sensor that is taking is place back because the electromagnets have stopped working. This happen wether SR is OFF or ON.
I can clearly hear this "clunk" noise after each picture i take, just after i have fully pressed the shutter.
This sound is kinda loud and i can feel it resonating through the entire body.

Does your K-1 make this noise (SR off/on, and after each shutter) as well ?

Thx in advance for your answers.
06-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #201
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Meg4mi Quote
I have got mine replaced cause of "Mode dial Failure" problem.

But on the new one, there is a noise i find strange and i'm really not sure it was there on the previous one.
When I half-press the shutter there is the electromagnets that activate to maintain the sensor and if I release the shutter I can hear a "clunk", i believe that is the sensor that is taking is place back because the electromagnets have stopped working. This happen wether SR is OFF or ON.
I can clearly hear this "clunk" noise after each picture i take, just after i have fully pressed the shutter.
This sound is kinda loud and i can feel it resonating through the entire body.

Does your K-1 make this noise (SR off/on, and after each shutter) as well ?

Thx in advance for your answers.
I think it is normal. I hear that sound/clunk after each shot. It is not much prominent IMHO
06-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #202
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suspect the HSS change in K-1 has to do with enhanced electronics, 1/200 shutter and the fact that 'A' lenses are not chipped. The camera does not know exactly what lens is mounted.
Yeah, the A lenses don't relay as much data for an algorithm to incorporate.

For whatever reason, the PF Staff found in testing with a K-3 that they consistently overexposed compared to their autofocus equivalents.

06-15-2016, 05:20 PM - 2 Likes   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Sigh)

Moving the shutter dial takes exactly the same time as to move the aperture dial, Mock.
(Sigh)

Not if I'm not changing the aperture between every shot. Take a portrait in full sun at f/1.4, a cloud comes or I move my subject to another spot with different lighting, take another shot. I haven't touched my aperture dial, or any other setting.

If you're manually setting the ISO because you don't trust the camera, you should already be in M mode. It's why we've got DSLRs in the first place - to control. You do your bit with the ambient and the camera will expose flash correctly.
I don't use Av mode with a set ISO because I "don't trust the camera", I use it in this way as the most expedient method of achieving a result, as I explained in the previous post.

Go to TAv mode if you must, that certainly works with my A type Samyang 24mm.
Nope, the camera will first raise ISO too high instead of bumping flash power, so I'll still have to tweak shutter speed constantly to keep ISO low. I want the shutter speed to move, not the ISO. I use TAv mode for flashless shooting of wildlife, so I have my auto-ISO set 100-51200, which may differ from your setting.

If you just do Av, people have complained it will refuse to go above 1/30s when it's dark and you lose your ambient. You've got to remember to put it into Slow Sync mode, never an issue with TAv, M or Tv.
So perhaps in this situation one could go to manual mode, but if it is so dark I've probably already ditched the idea of shooting HSS and busted out a tripod anyways. If I'm going to use flash for a sub-handheld exposure then we're talking about a completely different situation then what I'm describing. The meter warns you of this by flashing the shutter speed, that is your cue to change tact.

Av is no more an automated mode than Tv, and less than TAv.
I was comparing Av to M. Av is far more automated than M, I'm sure you would agree.

Why would you listen to Ricoh or me? You've done neither so far.
I would listen to Ricoh since they made the camera and have real authority on these matters. You and I do not.
I have listened to you first cry (paraphrasing) "USER ERROR. The manual doesn't say anything about Av mode." and then not concede an ounce of sympathy to the concerns of other Pentax shooters. Ricoh should concern themselves with this issue because it could negatively impact parts of their userbase who have become accustomed to this functionality . Whether you agree it is a viable way of shooting or not is irrelevant.

Your K-5 manual will also not list Av mode as one to use with HSS.

My K-30 cannot go *slower* than 1/180s in Av mode with that Samyang if the flash is set to HSS. Again, complain all we like, that mode is not supported on the K-30 according to the manual.
Sorry, I mentioned it more clearly in another thread but not here. An A lens will not drop slower than 1/180, but modern ones will. This is because the modern lens will report it's focal length, inputted focal length for the SR system with an A lens has no effect on the proceedings. However you may notice on your K-30 that the shutter-speed will range from 1/180s up to 1/6000s, using all the EV steps in between, assuming it works similarly to K-5/K-5II.

As a regular photographer and not necessarily a PFforums armchair expert: If you were personally using this "undocumented-feature" on your K-30 for years, then the K-1 inexplicably dropped it, would you not be concerned? Would you not contact Ricoh to find out what happened?
The manual can never 100% describe every detail about the camera. It merely describes how to use it "for optimum camera performance" by whatever definition Pentax uses. Such a statement does not eliminate or automatically render invalid other possibilities.

---------- Post added 06-15-2016 at 06:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Could be, but then why would the shutter-speed toggle between 1/200 and 1/8000? It does this at the drop of a pin, for example moving ISO from 1000 to 1250, a 1/3 EV increase in exposure and the shutter speed decreases by 5.3EV. This is why I believe the metering system is to blame specifically, so much for "enhanced electronics". Sure an A lens doesn't provide much info, but it provides the same info now as it did to a K-5.

I'd be happy if Ricoh fixed this, OR, broke it completely. Right now it's half-broken and it can result in all manner of poor exposures.

Last edited by Mock; 06-15-2016 at 06:06 PM.
06-16-2016, 05:28 AM   #204
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't use Av mode with a set ISO because I "don't trust the camera", I use it in this way as the most expedient method of achieving a result, as I explained in the previous post.
You're just repeating yourself now.

I will reiterate too ... Av is not supported.

I'm simply giving you the news, I'm the messenger, not the camera designer. You can't point to the specs or the instructions saying it is supposed to work, because they don't.

You could also have read about it in Nigel McGregni's guide to Pentax flash on this very forum:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/125-flashes-lighting-studio/2...edition-c-.pdf

By the way, in the section on HSS, he notes: "My suggestion is that M Mode is the most intuitive and practical for controlling exposure and balancing ambient and flash when using HSS."

I agree with him.

I would listen to Ricoh since they made the camera and have real authority on these matters. You and I do not.
I have listened to you first cry (paraphrasing) "USER ERROR. The manual doesn't say anything about Av mode." and then not concede an ounce of sympathy to the concerns of other Pentax shooters. ...
I'm not here to loan you a hanky to cry into about this, Mock, I have three of those lenses concerned myself.

If you didn't read the manual, it's your bad, not mine.

We can get away with autofocus lenses in that mode - I have no idea what the algorithm currently needs - but certainly not 'A' lenses. The Pentax Forums staff tested those in an article and there is something lacking that resulted in the K-3 consistently overexposing with them versus their KAF cousins.

Last edited by clackers; 06-16-2016 at 05:43 AM.
06-16-2016, 05:41 AM   #205

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I think it is normal. I hear that sound/clunk after each shot. It is not much prominent IMHO
OK, thx. It reassures me a bit, even if i'd like more confirmation about it.

06-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #206
Veteran Member

You're just repeating yourself now...
I repeat myself because you repeatedly ignore when I make this statement in different ways:

"Ricoh should concern themselves with this issue because it could negatively impact parts of their userbase who have become accustomed to this functionality."

THAT'S IT. The manual is not comprehensive. The names you drop are also unqualified to pass judgment on whether this is actually a bug or not.

I'll stop trying to convince you, it's pointless.
06-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #207
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The names you drop are also unqualified to pass judgment on whether this is actually a bug or not.
Names like Ricoh? You're unbelievable, Mock! Nigel won't be impressed, either ... I'd trust what he was saying on the subject over you.

I get it ... being confronted with what's in the manual, you've thrown the toys out of the cot in protest.

If we're into repeating ourselves, the shutter speed in Av did *not* go lower than 1/180s on my K-30 for my A lens with the flash set to HSS, so it's not just the K-1 either.

You should pour all your pent-up frustration about this legacy manual focus lens and HSS not doing what you like when you operate outside of the published parameters directly to Ricoh instead of us - as I say, you've lost my sympathy.

Please report back here with the ticket number they assign you and their response, if it's really an issue you care about.

Last edited by clackers; 06-16-2016 at 10:02 PM.
06-16-2016, 11:16 PM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Meg4mi Quote
OK, thx. It reassures me a bit, even if i'd like more confirmation about it.

I'll confirm that mine does as well. I started a thread in the K-1 forum about it 3 days after the camera was released.
There were multiple users including PF staff that confirmed that the sound is normal. Apparently it is the SR system.
When the camera is on, the SR mechanism remains off. The sensor just sits there loosely. Motion and its own weight will make it move around. When SR is on and the shutter button is half way depressed, the mechanism turns on and moves the sensor accordingly to reduce shake. When SR is off and the shutter button is half way depressed, the SR mechanism turns on, but only to keep the sensor firmly still in the middle of the image circle. So either way the SR mechanism will engage but for different purposes and to different ends.
Having owned an unhealthy number APS-C Pentax DSLRs, I was concerned having never heard this on previous bodies. Idk if other Pentax bodies do this as well and its just not noticeable because of the smaller sensor, or if the implementation has changed.
Either way it's normal in the K-1.

06-17-2016, 02:19 AM   #209

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Either way it's normal in the K-1.
Thanks for your input.
06-18-2016, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #210
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is a lag between the effective AF lock (PDAF) and AF lock confirmation in the viewfinder. For example, if you press the shutter fully, the image is taken much faster and the viewfinder AF confirmation does not happen, even if AFS focus priority is set. There is no incidence on AF accuracy. The lag seems to happens between the AF subsystem and the command that blinks AF confirm in the viewfinder, which makes the user think that he has to wait further, loosing time to take the shot. This lag does not exist in CDAF because CDAF is performed directly by the camera OS. Hopefully, a firmware improvement is planned.