Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post K-1 bugs/issues (feedback for Ricoh)

Post any firmware issues, software problems, or lens/accessory incompatibilities in this thread and we will forward them to Ricoh.

Duplicates allowed so that we can keep a running tally.

*PLEASE DON'T POST GRIPES OR FEATURE SUGGESTIONS HERE*

For PC compatibility issues and general troubleshooting, post in this thread instead:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319937-feedback-issue-thre...-specific.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2016, 12:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Metz 44 AF-1 incompatiblity

Just tried Metz 44 AF-1 on K-1 and could only use M mode, the flash would not fire in TTL mode. Works fine on K-5.

I've fired a report to Metz and will add any response I get from them here.

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
I think it has to do with the fact that the new flash sync time is 1/200s and not anymore 1/180s
I've tried setting sync speed to 180 in the config ('C' Page 1, '7 Flash sync speed', option 2), but still no go for pTTL.

Response from Metz:

Thank you very much for your e-mail enquiry of 30 April 2016.

We regret the trouble that you have with your flash unit 44 AF-1 respectively with your new digital camera Pentax K-1.

Unfortunately, this new digital camera Pentax K-1 is not yet available for us for testing purposes. For that reason this type of camera is also not yet mentioned on our homepage.

Since last Friday we heard also from a few other customers that there are problems with the new Pentax K-1 in P-TTL flash control mode.
So we guess that this type of camera works different to the former Pentax digital cameras (K-5, K-5 II, K-3, K-3 II, K-30, K-50 and so on) and this will lead to some trouble.

Our development department will try to get a new Pentax K-1 in order to fix the problems as soon as possible. However, we fear this will take some time.
Regrettably, at the moment we can’t supply you a fast solution for that problem.
However, we will inform you immediately by e-mail when there will be any news concerning this problem.

We regret to have no other information for you at the moment and remain

With kind regards

Wolfgang Becker
Technical Support

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
If you put your camera in CROP MODE it will work as expected. In FF mode it does not.
I can confirm the problem does not exist in crop mode. Information passed on to Metz. Thanks Tjompen1968!

Last edited by phoebus; 05-05-2016 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Response to suggestion/reply from Metz
04-30-2016, 12:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Received my K-1 yesterday.
Oner big issue for me - my Sigma 70-200 HSM II doesn't AF at all and crashes/locks up the camera. Cannot use the shutter at all, even on MF. I have to remove the battery to reset the camera.
Very disappointed with this. A firmware issue? Can't afford the D-FA 70-200 right now. If Pentax don't sort this issue out quickly I may have to buy a Tamron.

Just read the post above - (shock) - better try my Metz 58 AF-2 flashes then!

---------- Post added 04-30-16 at 09:10 AM ----------

Just checked and my Metz 58 AF-2 (firmware v 4.1) only flashes once in P-TTL then ceases to fire. P-TTL HSS, Auto and Manual all seem fine.
I suppose this is what you get for being an early adopter.
Pentax - get yer finger out!
04-30-2016, 01:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

A few extra bugs from PF and elsewhere:

K-1 pixel mapping causes camera freeze
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319865-k1-use-canada.html#post3623310

Meter locks at ISO 6400 in Av mode
The Pentax K-1: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

AF-C glitches with 28-105 lens
The Pentax K-1: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

04-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
pid
Pentaxian

Metzflash seems to work fine in HSS Mode. Try to use the HSS mode with 1/200s that should solve the problem
05-01-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sigma 70-200 HSM Macro II doesn't work with K-1 (although may be a Sigma issue, maybe Ricoh can confirm?).

Last edited by dcpropilot; 05-01-2016 at 07:13 AM.
05-01-2016, 11:33 PM   #7

The lens mentioned by "dcpropilot" identifies itself by LensID "8 255".

Two "flukes" I've noticed, though (fortunately?) not (yet) reproducible.

Using a Sigma Lens (70-300/4.5-5.6 OS) I've had the phenomenon that the camera worked fine, but that it didn't switch on the display upon usage of the four-way controller for WB etc.
The camera didn't freeze, other functions were abled to switch on the display (LV, MENU and INFO), and I could change the WB preset via LV. That phenomenon went away upon turning off the camera and turning it on again. As I've already stated someplace else, I'm not pointing any fingers in any direction.

Another thing I was yet unable to reproduce:

Using LV with the Pentax SMC FA 24-90/3.5-4.5, I've had a camera freeze. No control whatsoever worked, neither the power switch nor anything else. Removing the lens didn't end it, I had to pop the battery.

Strange thing about that: LV worked all the time!

05-04-2016, 02:30 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma and Metz issues will require fixes from Sigma and Metz, assuming that Pentax lenses are working fine. Usually Sigma will do some type of firmware update on a lens free of charge once they figure out what the problem is and how to fix it.
05-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When mounting a Sigma 12-24mm EX DG, camera will sometimes (but not always) ask to have focal length input, even though this lens doesn't require this for use with a K-3 or K-5. If I enter the default 100mm and then try to check it in the menu, the focal length item in the menu (camera 4) is greyed out, as it should be for a lens with the appropriate electrical contacts. Examining the EXIF data of an image shot at 12mm, the focal length appears as the correct 12mm. I realize that it's probably a Sigma firmware issue, but I'm surprised that it doesn't happen every time the camera is turned on with this lens mounted.
05-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will confirm there is no pTTL with Metz 44 and also Metz 52 AF-1 with K1 in FF mode (neither flash will fire). Exasperating. Wonder how long Metz will take to issue a firmware update. Will it be a priority for them? Pentax 360 II works fine.
05-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

AF modes and points selection in the viewfinder: viewfinder display does not switch on when pressing the AF mode button (the button above the AF M lever), if light metering is Off. However, AF mode is being displayed when depression the Off mode button :-). So, you have to press two times. On the K3, pressing the AF mode button after 3 seconds (light meter goes Off) switches the viewfinder display On again so that we can change the AF mode anytime. Workaround for the K-1: set metering continuous, however, it's not meant to work this way.

I'd also say, honestly, every time I hit the AF mode lock button (the tiny button above the 4 ways controller), I almost hit the top button of the 4 way controller, so, from button layout standpoint, it's a poor implementation compared to K3 and K5, even on K200D the OK button was used which was smarter. If the Ok button could be configure to lock AF mode selection, that would be a nice workaround, otherwise, for a camera of this price I wonder if anyone using various AF modes selections when photographying has been consulted by Ricoh, or if anyone having large fingers has tried the camera regarding how to change AF modes back and forth. I know we have to get used to it everytime they move buttons and menus around, I can live with this... but it's just a pain to use, every-time, I just think, for a camera of this range (kinda pro level camera with 38Mp, pixel shift etc), it's not really acceptable to have a poor button layout of this case.

Please, update firmware so that "Green" button reset of center point AF (like it is used to reset exposure parameters), and "OK" button AF point selection lock.
Attached Images

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-08-2016 at 10:14 AM.
05-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
AF modes and points selection in the viewfinder: viewfinder display does not switch on when pressing the AF mode button (the button above the AF M lever), if light metering is Off. However, AF mode is being displayed when depression the Off mode button :-). So, you have to press two times. On the K3, pressing the AF mode button after 3 seconds (light meter goes Off) switches the viewfinder display On again so that we can change the AF mode anytime. Workaround for the K-1: set metering continuous, however, it's not meant to work this way.
What is your setting for the AF button function in the custom menu?
05-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What is your setting for the AF button function in the custom menu?
I'd not talking about the back button AF, I'd talking about the "AF mode".
Attached Images

05-09-2016, 01:00 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No diagonal movement in playback mode.

On the K-3, if you're zoomed into a picture in playback mode, you can move around the picture in any direction including diagonally. You cannot move diagonally on the K-1 in the same situation.
05-10-2016, 02:43 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG APO HSM freezes the camera. I have to take it off, switch off and back on to use it again. The Exif Lens Type is "8 255".