Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Crop settings & 1:1

Any confirmation if 1:1 square crop is enabled in production firmware?

Thanks.

04-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

1:1 crop can't be found. Firmware version 1.0
04-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd presume it's still available in crop-after-shot mode, but one would expect it in the live-view options somewhere..
04-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

Page 117 of the User Manual refers to Square 1 and Square 2 in the Live View grid display options but other posters have said the options is not there in the menus.

The K-5 and K-3 have an aspect ratio setting for in camera editing of JPEGs which includes 1:1. At least the K-5 manual lists the various crop aspect ratios. The K-3 manual only mentions that you can set the ratio but does not list the options.

See also this thread on the same question:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/319812-can-k-1-owne...ng-option.html

04-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #5

If they want to do Pentax users a favor they'll have integrated in-finder 4:3 crop. This will not only make it an even more perfect 645z back up, but also give photographers a portrait format that actually makes sense. The fact that almost all cameras exclusively shoot 3:2 only is absurd since digital cropping is so easy. I have to go through and crop and adjust every damn wedding image and it's a PITA.
04-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
but also give photographers a portrait format that actually makes sense
Please explain...I am not into nonsense, but have shot a fair number of portraits to 3:2 format over the years. Did I miss something at some point?

Steve

P.S. I have seen plenty of weddings shot with 6x6, 6x7, 36x24, and yes, 645. 6x7 was hot at one point and a lot of very good work was done with Koni-Omega kit and Pentax 6x7.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-30-2016 at 08:54 PM.
05-01-2016, 03:55 AM   #7
edo
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Page 117 of the User Manual refers to Square 1 and Square 2 in the Live View grid display options but other posters have said the options is not there in the menus.

The K-5 and K-3 have an aspect ratio setting for in camera editing of JPEGs which includes 1:1. At least the K-5 manual lists the various crop aspect ratios. The K-3 manual only mentions that you can set the ratio but does not list the options.

See also this thread on the same question:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/319812-can-k-1-owne...ng-option.html
The option are there in the menu for grid 1 and grid 2...
It's just grids with squares..

05-01-2016, 06:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
P.S. I have seen plenty of weddings shot with 6x6, 6x7, 36x24, and yes, 645. 6x7 was hot at one point and a lot of very good work was done with Koni-Omega kit and Pentax 6x7.
I have to go through and crop and adjust every damn wedding image and it's a PITA.
Our wedding day shots were done with a classic Pentax 6x7 MU. mrs. monochrome also had studio portraits. That's what we all had done in 1980. It was signaling. I bet the OP here would really have hated the workflow cropping from every single one of those huge negs.

1:1 is trendy now. In a few years it will be passé.
05-01-2016, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by edo Quote
The option are there in the menu for grid 1 and grid 2...
It's just grids with squares..
And how many squares are in the grids? A 2 × 2 array of squares is a square. A 4 × 4 array is a square. If the gridlines form a cross-hair in the center of the screen then you'll have an array forming a square around the center.

Photography is a visual art. Any photographer should be able to visualize in their "mind's eye" a square.

People are getting to darn lazy and want their devices to do everything for them.

Below is the grid focusing screen for my Minolta X700 that I installed for macro work. The scan was from one of the on-line manuals and isn't very good. I added the grey area to show the "square" on the grid. So how hard is it to keep your composition between the lines bounded by the grey square?
Attached Images

05-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Please explain...I am not into nonsense, but have shot a fair number of portraits to 3:2 format over the years. Did I miss something at some point?

Steve

Yes, you missed the part about consistency. If I shoot with a 645z, and film, I don't want the format of my vertical digital images and portraits suddenly changing to 3:2 when I switch cameras. 3:4 fits on an album page better, and is simply a better headshot compositional format. Sure you may have made nice pictures in 3:2, I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, but I want my work to be consistent and with a digital camera there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to shoot in nearly any aspect ratio in camera.
05-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #11
edo
Forum Member

Sadly no 1:1 sorry to confirm.

There you have the options in the manual, who are present in the production unit /w firmware 1.00, the one I just took this : There may display too many of them to do your technique. Would I be adding to the debate that I too think a real square crop for framing is, if not better (=subjective), a real way of thinking the way you shoot. Imagine a TLR fan who could shoot from the hips with a liveview in 1:1. He would love it, and responding to that need Pentax/Ricoh would follow. Pentax K1 has that very nice tilting screen that is IMHO a revolution.

PS : I read in a preview that the K1 supports the really silent electronic shutter too, and guessing what when I really got it that it's not.

05-01-2016, 11:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks guys.
Too bad, the beta firmware did provide such a crop (I demonstrated it in LiveView in post weeks ago when I tried the K-1) BUT only using the menu setting and not the new knob+wheel.
A pity

In further firmwares (I understand this is no priority: 1:1, 4:3, 4x5/6x7 crops would be nice.

@Monochrome: I don't think so. It was always limited to 6x6 mostly and it is quite difficult to frame. But done well, it kills other formats IMO (YMMV of course)

Last edited by thibs; 05-01-2016 at 11:48 PM.
05-02-2016, 12:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

There seems to be some mixing up here between the options available in LiveView (and the Playback mode display too) that determine how an image is displayed on the rear LCD, and the settings that decide the dimensions of what actually gets recorded as a file - ie the recorded pixels setting. Any camera crop mode will only take effect via the recorded pixel settings. Nothing to do with LiveView.
05-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, you missed the part about consistency. If I shoot with a 645z, and film, I don't want the format of my vertical digital images and portraits suddenly changing to 3:2 when I switch cameras. 3:4 fits on an album page better, and is simply a better headshot compositional format. Sure you may have made nice pictures in 3:2, I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, but I want my work to be consistent and with a digital camera there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to shoot in nearly any aspect ratio in camera.
Got it...makes perfect sense for your needs and wastes far fewer pixels than the crop to APS-C. Dimensions would be 6549x4912 to yield a 32.4 Mpx 4:3 image*. While we are at it, perhaps a 5:4 crop should also be supported. That would appeal to those who like borderless 8x10.

Steve

* Significantly less than 645z resolution, but still enough for the less demanding shots.
05-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There seems to be some mixing up here between the options available in LiveView (and the Playback mode display too) that determine how an image is displayed on the rear LCD, and the settings that decide the dimensions of what actually gets recorded as a file - ie the recorded pixels setting. Any camera crop mode will only take effect via the recorded pixel settings. Nothing to do with LiveView.
Thanks for making this clear.

What using the live view grids allows is close framing in camera to the 1:1 format with the option of automated crop on import for tools like Lightroom. Such is a workaround, but not too bad as workarounds go.

Steve