Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
Thank you to the two people who actually attempted to answer my question. Everyone else, start your own thread, yeesh.
Given the way you presented you question, the answer can be everything and anything. You asked about AF accuracy with the K-1. AF.S accuracy per say depends greatly on the lens and AF calibration, on any camera (even D750 may be off target and require AF calibration, depending on the copy of the lens and camera body you get). Regarding AF tracking capability, it also depends on the camera body AF module and the lens actuation and damping within the servo loop. I posted tracking example from the K-3 and DFA150-450, because the K-1 AF is strongly derived/improved from the K-3 (as per previous posts and feedback from some early users of the K-1). But the problem with Pentax AF is that strangely, some users get excellent results and other users can't nail focus on a fixed target. In other words, you got two answers regarding if the K-1 AF is good, but it does not mean anything as far as the results you'd get if you buy this camera as you did not consider the lens being used and the lighting conditions etc. In order to get a valid answer to your question on how the K-1 compares to a D750, you need to use both systems with equivalent lenses and both camera body calibrated, tested on the same target, multiple times.

05-01-2016, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Given the way you presented you question, the answer can be everything and anything. You asked about AF accuracy with the K-1. AF.S accuracy per say depends greatly on the lens and AF calibration, on any camera (even D750 may be off target and require AF calibration, depending on the copy of the lens and camera body you get). Regarding AF tracking capability, it also depends on the camera body AF module and the lens actuation and damping within the servo loop. I posted tracking example from the K-3 and DFA150-450, because the K-1 AF is strongly derived/improved from the K-3 (as per previous posts and feedback from some early users of the K-1). But the problem with Pentax AF is that strangely, some users get excellent results and other users can't nail focus on a fixed target. In other words, you got two answers regarding if the K-1 AF is good, but it does not mean anything as far as the results you'd get if you buy this camera as you did not consider the lens being used and the lighting conditions etc. In order to get a valid answer to your question on how the K-1 compares to a D750, you need to use both systems with equivalent lenses and both camera body calibrated, tested on the same target, multiple times.
In short, you can't answer my question as you apparently have not used the K-1, do not shoot weddings with wide open lenses, and therefore have nothing to add to this conversation. The title of the thread is "Can anyone with a K-1 give me a review of the AF?" If you do not have a K-1, you have nothing to add by default. Feel free to post an essay somewhere else about your general feelings regarding AF reviews of cameras you don't own.
05-01-2016, 04:21 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
... and the 7 remaining of the burst.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nice B-i-F series. You do understand the other guy is going to ask for a burst series coming at you now, right?
That's what he asked for in the first place, and I'm with him. All of these samples show birds moving mostly laterally with very little movement on the z-axis. It's a relatively easy job for any camera. It has been noted by many users and independent reviewers alike that the K3's AF.C is subpar when it comes to following subjects mostly coming towards the camera or moving away from it.

If you've got a sequence of at least 6 or so consecutive shots (5 fps or more) with a subject coming straight at the camera, and they're all at least reasonably sharp, then feel free to post them.

My K3 can't do it, and I've used it long enough, tried too many cameras by other brands that can do it, and read too many reports confirming my experiences to accept personal responsibility for it.
05-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member

K1 please.

05-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #35
Banned

Yep, K-1 please
05-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That's what he asked for in the first place, and I'm with him. All of these samples show birds moving mostly laterally with very little movement on the z-axis. It's a relatively easy job for any camera. It has been noted by many users and independent reviewers alike that the K3's AF.C is subpar when it comes to following subjects mostly coming towards the camera or moving away from it.

If you've got a sequence of at least 6 or so consecutive shots (5 fps or more) with a subject coming straight at the camera, and they're all at least reasonably sharp, then feel free to post them.

My K3 can't do it, and I've used it long enough, tried too many cameras by other brands that can do it, and read too many reports confirming my experiences to accept personal responsibility for it.

I think @Venom3300's a bit sick of other people saying this ...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/320029-nature-osprey-...xis-shots.html

He had this to say in another thread:

"I would say the same. I shot beside a guy with a 7DII and 100-400 L mk2 two weeks ago, and a guy with a Nikon D7200 and 200-500 5.6... both of them had more money invested, and much larger setups, but when we compared shots, I can't really say they had anything better than I did. I realize this is also skill dependent and neither of them were professionals."

Note that @Biz-engineer has shots of a duck flying away from the camera, and you know they are amongst the fastest of birds in flight.

Last edited by clackers; 05-01-2016 at 06:35 PM.
05-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #37
Banned

05-01-2016, 06:54 PM - 4 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think @Venom3300's a bit sick of other people saying this ...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/320029-nature-osprey-...xis-shots.html

He had this to say in another thread:

"I would say the same. I shot beside a guy with a 7DII and 100-400 L mk2 two weeks ago, and a guy with a Nikon D7200 and 200-500 5.6... both of them had more money invested, and much larger setups, but when we compared shots, I can't really say they had anything better than I did. I realize this is also skill dependent and neither of them were professionals."

Note that @Biz-engineer has shots of a duck flying away from the camera, and you know they are amongst the fastest of birds in flight.
hahaha someone caught my drift. Honestly, if you have a K-3II or newer (I can't speak for the K-3 original), and a decently fast focusing lens and you can't get shots of medium and large birds in flight, then you need to learn to work the AF settings on your camera. I get those shots routinely now after a few weeks with the camera. Its not flawless, and perhaps not as good as Canikon bodies, but it is serviceable. Every bit as good as my canon 50D was, and I don't recall many complaints about that camera on the canon forums.

If you are trying to track small birds in flight, i.e. swallows, then perhaps you should consider other systems.

There is a point at which people begin to get obsessed rather than just meeting their needs. We see this phenomenon with high ISO performance as well. Today my ISO 6400 looks as good or better than 400 ISO film, and yet people complain.

ok, I'm done now. I have cameras to shoot rather than complain about
05-01-2016, 07:01 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote

Guys, realize that the K-1 you and I are buying does not have an all-new AF system, it is an iterative development of the K-3. The experiences of Venom and Biz-Engineer are relevant to what you're paying for. If you knew already what they were saying, fine, but clearly not everyone does.
05-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you to the two people who actually attempted to answer my question. Everyone else, start your own thread, yeesh.
Seconded!
05-01-2016, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #41

I have found the hit rate with my K3 very good indeed even on moving targets such as dogs running towards me. I have linked to some pics I took on a recent family photo shoot with just that but I also have tracked kids at school sports days running hurdles races straight towards my shooting position and also a few birds in flight. My perception after years of Pentax cameras is that the K3 was the start of pentax really getting on top of autofocus.

I have also noticed that my Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 and Pentax 24-70mm F2.8 focus and lock on faster with the K1 than the K3 did. The 24-70 is so fast that you mostly aren't even aware of it focussing - it's instantaneous. I see no reason to doubt that many of the other recently released pentax lenses such as the 150-450 mentioned earlier and of course the new 70-200 should perform similarly well.

jonlg
05-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Did some AF tracking yesterday using K-1. This was view finder (not Live View).
05-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #43
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

I do own the K-1.

As I am only having it only for y few day I could only make a funtion testing with it. So far I tested the SIgma 35/50/85 1,4 lenses and the Pentax FA*85 and DA*55 / 1,4 lenses.
As far as I may tell, they work perfect with "still" objects.

The viewfinder is that big and clear it helps very much and I could not see any AF running. Point and shoot!

I still have to look thoroughly at it but my first impression is very positive. I have to admit, that I did not yet try it with moving objects. Is still on my to do list.

At f 2,8 it works great, which I could test with the D-FA 24-70 and 15-30. Both are great. Hope it helps a little.

BEst from Germany
Georg
05-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #44

I'm new to Pentax (I primarily shoot mirrorless (EM1, and have a considerable investment in Sony A7rii, A7ii) - however I have rented a number of pro grade DSLR bodies previously for different types of shooting that necessitated one lens or another. Previously I've owned a 5d mk iii.
I was given a loaner of the K3ii over the weekend to test out. Actually having read this thread - I started to get anxious... was I buying into an AF system that is 3 years behind everybody elses. I had no problem tracking and grabbing sharp focus with the 77 at F1.8/F2. Attempting the same with the FE55 1.8 on an A7rii did not yield as positive a result. The Batis 85 didn't do so hot either. This was really a torture test to see how AF system would handle bride and groom walking down the aisle on a backlit day. I asked my model to jog towards me in a zig zag 'Z' fashion (backlit) to see how well the camera coped. The K3ii dropped one or two frames but re-locked focus accurately. I'd reckon out of about 16 frame, 2 were out of focus. My a7rii got about 6-7 in focus. 5d mark iii got a similar amount to the K3ii in focus with the 85 1.8.
Really I found the K3ii no worse than Canon/Nikon D7100/D7200/80d/7d at all and very compliant over a weekend of shooting. I read the thread on optimum tracking settings here at pentax forums - very helpful.
Perhaps not the continuous FPS of the latest 7d mark ii but I did find the K3ii very accurate most importantly. Particularly with newer lenses. Note that I lens calibrated all of the DSLR bodies with lens tune.
The K3ii is quite the machine - I was extremely impressed with AF. As good as any APS-C body I've tried from Canon/Nikon (D7200, 7d, 80d etc...). Where the K3ii sucked was in video tracking.

With respect to Safox 11 to Safox 12. I suspect that the changes go beyond a simple breathing on the Safox 12 module. Both Ricoh reps that I've spoken with in both early March and April made a point that there has been heavy investment in AF technology with Safox 12. Indeed the K1 with 24-70 on demo was incredibly fast and accurate to lock focus in single-af and even C-AF. The Pentax rep that was demo'ing the K1 in Alberta recently mentioned that Ricoh completely overhauled the AF PDAF module, CPU, algorithms for the K1 as they knew it would need to focus in shallower DOF scenarios than their APS-C bodies. One of the advantages of a DSLR PDAF system is that the PDAF points themselves are not constrained to the size of an individual pixel - it is easier to make them larger and more sensitive. In effect todays higher resolution, more densely packed mirrorless sensors need more PDAF points to counter act the smaller more dense pixel pitch. It also makes for good marketing material.
05-02-2016, 12:36 AM   #45
Pentaxian

In short, you can't answer my question as you apparently have not used the K-1, do not shoot weddings with wide open lenses, and therefore have nothing to add to this conversation. The title of the thread is "Can anyone with a K-1 give me a review of the AF?" If you do not have a K-1, you have nothing to add by default. Feel free to post an essay somewhere else about your general feelings regarding AF reviews of cameras you don't own.
I won't comment on the why of my posts etc... so, sticking to your question:
You would like to know, relative to the Nikon D750, how accurate and how fast is the K-1 AF is in a low light situation, with a standard fast lens (e.g 50mm f1.4 or f1.8), on slow moving people (e.g wedding in a church), lens wide open, without AF assist lighting. One missing element to your question: are you using AFS (action = quickly focusing and taking the photo) or AFC (action = tracking of slow moving people and then taking the photo)? Since the K-1 was available only a few days ago, it may be a bit too early to have K-1 owners used the K-1 in the situation you describe. Hopefully, within two to three weeks from now, you'll get more direct answers to the use case you describe.