Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 02:19 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About Metz flashes.

The Metz flashes work if you put the camera in Crop mode, not i auto or FF. Both Ricoh/Pentax and Metz are aware of the problem as I understand it.

05-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Isn't there a thread dedicated for the K-1 "bugs" somewhere?
05-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
At three occasions now my K-1 would not power up ... Removing the battery fixed it.
An interesting variation on the early K-3II 'camera won't power down' firmware bug.
05-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Isn't there a thread dedicated for the K-1 "bugs" somewhere?
Indeed! I've merged the treads.

05-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
My Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG APO HSM freezes the camera.
Not sure if related or not.

I tried my DAL 18-55mm AL WR (k-50 kit lens) to see how uncompatible it really is.

Camera froze after a while in Live View for some reason, had to take the battery out got switch it off.

I'll try to reproduce this bug and will post again if I'm successful.

Did the exact steps a few times, no freeze..

Last edited by Topsy; 05-12-2016 at 12:09 PM.
05-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Actually it might be Sigma using the same lens ID for both lenses.
Right, that is a know problem since long before the K-1. Many Sigma lenses uses the same ID number so the camera can't tell them apart, at least not by reading their ID number. For instance my Sigma 10-20 and 17-70 share the same ID number.
05-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
An issue for me (and others I assume) that use the back AF button and disable the shutter button AF: the Catch In Focus functionality does not work in this mode. This useful feature was dropped from the K3 after being present in all previous models I have owned. While annoying on the K3 it is downright aggravating on the K1 given the reduced depth of field requires more accurate focus. This should be a straightforward modification to the firmware so I am hoping Ricoh will read this thread and re-implement this functionality.
Oh I hate to inject this, but you sound mad as a hornet. And BTW: I was unaware of that feature on older bodies. Sounds like a useful way to manually focus when the camera is on a tripod. Must try it on my K5.
05-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Oh I hate to inject this, but you sound mad as a hornet. And BTW: I was unaware of that feature on older bodies. Sounds like a useful way to manually focus when the camera is on a tripod. Must try it on my K5.
Borders more on a gripe and "feature" suggestion than a bug/issue. Just saying.

05-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Borders more on a gripe and "feature" suggestion than a bug/issue. Just saying.
Agreed. It it's a useful feature not now available rather than a glitch that should be addressed.
05-16-2016, 02:05 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm using the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5.5.1 (PDCU) for the K-1 and I'm having trouble because it seems to be no (easy or that I've found) way to view the images in a separate new window like you could do with the PDCU 4 for the K-5 and you can only view them in the small middle frame of the Program (which is too small and inconvenient for this purpose)...

Am I right? Have you found a way to review your pictures outside the center section in a separate window? Thank you for the feedback. If I'm right I consider that a major "bug" for the convenience of the new camera...

If there is not, have you found another solution-software to easily review your pictures (DNGs)?
05-18-2016, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

As a long-time Pentax user, I am embarrassed to report this most elemental K-1 problem, but I share it as a reminder to others to read the camera manual.

After taking the camera from the box, I simply couldn't get the f$%*^g camera body mount cap off. I tried hard twisting and turning it in the normal Pentax direction, but it was totally locked in place. So I got a pipe wrench, and attached it gingerly to the edge of the mount cap and was about to brute force it off.

Only then did I fiddle a bit and realise that pressing down the lens release button before turning the body mount cap would release the cap. Or, as page 32 of the K-1 manual says:

QuoteQuote:
To remove the body mount cap [...]
Turn the body mount cap counterclockwise while pressing the lens unlock button down.
Problem is: a mount cap that locks onto the body like a lens is new to me. No other camera I've used (Pentax or otherwise) has had anything like it. It's a handy idea, but unexpected. Lesson learnt: RTFM.
05-18-2016, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So I got a pipe wrench, and attached it gingerly to the edge of the mount cap and was about to brute force it off.
I have chills down my spine..........................................
05-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
As a long-time Pentax user, I am embarrassed to report this most elemental K-1 problem, but I share it as a reminder to others to read the camera manual.

After taking the camera from the box, I simply couldn't get the f$%*^g camera body mount cap off. I tried hard twisting and turning it in the normal Pentax direction, but it was totally locked in place. So I got a pipe wrench, and attached it gingerly to the edge of the mount cap and was about to brute force it off.

Only then did I fiddle a bit and realise that pressing down the lens release button before turning the body mount cap would release the cap. Or, as page 32 of the K-1 manual says:

Problem is: a mount cap that locks onto the body like a lens is new to me. No other camera I've used (Pentax or otherwise) has had anything like it. It's a handy idea, but unexpected. Lesson learnt: RTFM.
Surest thing: IADSB than the press-in translucent white plastic discs that used to come with Pentax bodies. Anybody want one? I have several looking for something to do.
07-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #59

Cannot get firmware to update

I cannot get the firmware to update.Tried several time but it will not update. I followed instructions an it won't do it. Has anyone else come across this this issue. Just curious. I email Pentax to see if they have a work around for this.
07-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photoartist2 Quote
I email Pentax to see if they have a work around for this.
Don't bother. It's not a bug. Many, many people have successfully updated their K-1 firmware.