Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photoartist2 Quote
I cannot get the firmware to update.Tried several time but it will not update. I followed instructions an it won't do it. Has anyone else come across this this issue. Just curious. I email Pentax to see if they have a work around for this.
Care to explain, step by step what you did?

07-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #62

Photos: Albums
Back into Pentax - 4th body is GOOD

To those of you who think I am a "troll" or,
to those of you whio think I am trying to destroy the brand,
or whatever;

I have a big surprise.

After buying, testing and returning three K-1 bodies, contacting Pentax, etc. and generally swearing I would never go near Pentax again, I ... bought a fourth body.

Why, the Pentax has unique functions and features that suit my shooting styles to a "T" ... and I really wanted those unique features.

So, I bought a fourth body, and preliminart tests look very promising. I seem to be able to reach critical focus with the two lenses tested so far, a Rokinon 14mm F2.8 and a Pentax DA 35mm.
Both tried,of course, using manual focus on star field. The key criterium is being able to crank the lens PAST critical focus, and come back to achieve it.

I still don't know what the problem might have been, but it was not my technique or knowledge of the subject. One person mentioned that the flange to sensor distance was a bit different for the K-1,
making it more critical to achieve exact manufacturing tolerances. This is always a problem in real-world manufacturing.

Thank you to the people who tried to help,
and, for those that were critical, well, this
was not a happy experience for me.
07-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rcolman Quote
So, I bought a fourth body, and preliminart tests look very promising.
Glad your story appears to be having a happy ending.

The K-1 is such a joy to use, it would have been a shame if some issue would have prevented you from becoming a K-1 user.
08-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #64
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
120-400mm Sigma is not working on K-1 BUT works great on K-3 ?

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxCats Quote
This is probably operator error but my sigma 120-400 will not work on my k1(it does work on the k3). The camera will not do anything with that lens attached.
This is my fist day with the K1 so I'm probably missing something. Any suggestions/ corrections are appreciated.
Thanks
Tammy
I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM , NO ONE KNOWS ,
My sigma 120-400 will not work on my K-1 ,BUT it does work on the K-3. The camera will not do anything with that lens attached.
PLEASE HELP

08-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #65
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henry8 Quote
My sigma 120-400 will not work on my K-1 ,BUT it does work on the K-3. The camera will not do anything with that lens attached.
PLEASE HELP
Have you contacted Sigma? They can probably update the lens firmware while fixing the mount under the service bulletin.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-04-2016, 05:09 AM   #66
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you contacted Sigma? They can probably update the lens firmware while fixing the mount under the service bulletin.
Thank you, I did And they only said they can fix the mount.
08-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PLEASE HELP
Sigma DG 120-400mm 1:4.5-5.6 APO HSM

Not much help henry8 but mine works fine on my K1. On M or Av setting (only ones I tend to use) I can auto-focus, the metering (spot) is fine, and the apertures specified on the display back make sense. I haven't made any special settings - just fitted the lens and it worked first time. I'm not even bothering to get the lens mount serviced.

08-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #68
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote

Not much help henry8 but mine works fine on my K1. On M or Av setting (only ones I tend to use) I can auto-focus, the metering (spot) is fine, and the apertures specified on the display back make sense. I haven't made any special settings - just fitted the lens and it worked first time. I'm not even bothering to get the lens mount serviced.
That is probably the same problem with firmware like 70-200 f/2.8 HSM II.
Both of you should check and compare your firmware: shoot jpg file (henry8 on K3), and find LENS ID tag in exif of your jpg file.
Henry8 probably has different (older) version of firmware and that will result with different LENS ID.

---------- Post added 08-04-16 at 07:15 PM ----------

Thank you, I did And they only said they can fix the mount.
Just like I previously said here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/323181-sigma-damage-k-1-a-...ml#post3672439
08-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #69
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote

Yeah I tried all kinds of settings it's just freezing the whole camera.
Mount doesn't bother me it's not even a scratch. Not being able to use the lens sucks.
08-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Not being able to use the lens sucks.
Don't get your hopes up too high, but firmware V1.20 has been made available for the K-1. There is always a chance...
08-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #71
Marketplace Reseller

I'm not sure if this has been posted before. Months ago soon after I got my K-1 I put on my Samyang 135mm F2.0 and found focus trap (Catch-in-Focus) to give me a lot more out of focus false confirmation triggers. I use it usually for half a game of my nephew playing hockey and with the K-3 I would get 2 out of 3 photos in focus at F2.0 (in fact with focus trap in general It was easy to get lots of photos in focus across all the older APS-C bodies). However now with the K-1 having tried on 5 or 6 hockey games and out in the rest of the world I'm getting an approximate 50% reduction in keepers over the older cameras. It would appear that the camera is jumping the gun and triggering before the subject is actually in focus and when bursting continues to trigger after the subject has gone out of focus. I'm sure they've changed the behavior of the system however its a change that is making the use of manual focus lenses a lot less appealing. I have tried adjusting settings that probably shouldn't matter like focus hold and AF-S/AF-C and whatnot but that seems to make no difference.
08-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #72
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Don't get your hopes up too high, but firmware V1.20 has been made available for the K-1. There is always a chance...
Thank you.
08-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #73

Wifi connection and Android 6

QuoteOriginally posted by MattCard Quote
I am having a hard time connecting via WiFi to my K-1. I managed to connect once, and it was flawless, but now i am not able. Phone is a Nexus 5x running android 6.01

Had the same connection problems....both from Galaxy Phone (note6) and Galaxy TabS2...both running ANDROID 6. Connection was OKE with older Asus tablet running Android 5.

I found the Image Swich software kept turning WiFi on and off, on and off, on and off....until the software failed.

Found this is likely caused by ANDROID 6...WANTING INTERNET ACCESS and that is obviousely not offered by the K1 ;-) .

- Disable and or block by password ALL other WiFI networks..than try connecting again...worked for me...

krG
08-08-2016, 12:09 AM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gerard7452 Quote

Found this is likely caused by ANDROID 6...WANTING INTERNET ACCESS
Yeah, as said before on this forum, this can be due to the smart switching feature in Android, trying different networks until it gets the Internet, too.

You can disable that feature if you have the knowledge, or manually turn off your cell provider's data, etc.

08-08-2016, 05:25 AM   #75
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Troubleshooting assistance requested

I’m a bit stumped with this one, and I was hoping some assistance from the forum might help with troubleshooting some sets of images that I captured yesterday whilst at a motorcycle race event.

To demonstrate what I’ve experienced I have a series of unprocessed images that I have exported from LR6. The EXIF is untouched other than my info added on import and whatever Adobe has as their defaults.

All the images were taken with the D-FA 150-450 which was either used handheld supported by the lens mount or the zoom ring (if I was zooming in/out) or was mounted on a monopod.

So what’s the problem?

Firstly, please disregard the images as being anything other than wasters. I was practicing technique and most certainly didn’t always get it right. But this doesn’t explain why the camera would jump from f8 to f22 for the same ISO/shutter speed or jump between 20mm and 2520mm or not even record a focal length.

As they say a picture speaks a thousand words, so here are two of the series of images captured in Shutter Priority mode.

Series A: A-1 Correctly exposed at -.3 EV with dust spots, A-2 No focal length recorded seriously underexposed despite the wider aperture, A-3 As for previous image, A-4 Camera records focal length of 2520mm and stops down aperture to f20 but is correctly exposed, A-5 Records correct focal length buts stops down to f22 so image is underexposed further, A-6 Camera returns to normal though image is a stop under the programmed exposure of -.3 EV (NOTE: the next image after this one the camera set the aperture to f5.6 which consistent with the exposure settings I was seeking)

Series B: B-1 No space to upload in this thread entry, B-2 Camera records correct focal length but stops down to f22 seriously underexposing, B-3 Camera records focal length of 20mm and opens aperture to f5, B-4 No focal length recorded, all other exposure details the same as for B-3 but image is seriously underexposed

I have more examples but they all look similar with under/over exposures and a lack of focal length or erroneous focal length being recorded. The other type of sequence I've captured has normal images then an image focal length recorded as 20mm then back to normal images.

My theory is that the anomalous exposures occurred whilst I was zooming focus and not mounted on the monopod. I don’t actually know this for sure as I have no record of the images captured on the monopod and not. Could I be placing extra stress on the camera/lens mount and therefore interfering with the lens communication to the camera?

I cleaned the camera and lens contacts and checked for play in each but found none. So all this was a bit odd and I couldn’t find any similar circumstances whilst searching on the forum. Maybe I missed something?

Please note, this may be unrelated but I do have a recurring stuck mirror problem with my K-1. I don’t see how this could be related, particularly as when the mirror sticks there is a distinct sound difference to the mirror movement and I would have picked up on it. However I just don't really know so I was hoping that some feedback from the forum community might help me narrow down what could be happening and whether there could be a link between my handling of the camera/lens or something else could be contributing to this.

Some more details that should assist is that the conditions were predominantly overcast with a fairly consistent cloud cover and no bursts of bright light through cloud gaps.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide and feel freel to give me heaps on the shoddy i
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF