Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 06:39 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K1 in Singapore

This serves as a conduit to to the local Pentax community on Clubsnap in Singapore, where I think a few guys have already bought the K1.

You US guys are lucky, the best prices Worldwide.

I wavered a bit in my resolve to get it here in Singapore as it was much more expensie locally.
But after thinking a while that this is really a camera that I've been waiting for 10yrs, I gave in an got one.
(I also try my best to put my money where my mouth is/was )

The build of the camera and the well thought out little bits of the features/handling blows me away.
Its really speaks of Pentax's commitment to its user base and as a camera company (as opposed as mass market electronic gadgets one).

Here is a link to the local K1 thread, which will certainly grow in information/picts over the weeks/months.
The Pentax K1 Thread! - Post all your K1 picts and impressions

04-30-2016, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
You US guys are lucky, the best prices Worldwide.
Maybe. But you have a camera and we are being told "a couple of weeks"...........................
04-30-2016, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad you have your camera, Pinholecam. You have done more than anyone to reassure us during this long wait that our beloved lenses will work just fine on FF. Thank you for that and have fun with your camera.
04-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe. But you have a camera and we are being told "a couple of weeks"...........................
Monday is not a couple weeks. ... it's 2 days

04-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Monday is not a couple weeks. ... it's 2 days
Let's hope so. But that's not what I have heard. We will know more on Monday.
04-30-2016, 10:44 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Oh..I did not realize this.
I had thought that US would have it immediately upon official release.

Its still nicely cheaper though and not that many days away.

---------- Post added 05-01-2016 at 01:48 PM ----------

I was supposed to go further to the city to get some cityscapes in the morning, but lack of sleep made me think otherwise, so I opted for the nearest place.

M20/4, I really want this lens to work as its so small and portable.
Impressions is that Pentax really knows how to get this 'right'.
Even though this is 36mp, the M20 does go thru this relatively ok (all things considered).
Far edges and corners are not that great, but like I said, I am rather forgiving on this given the size and joy of using this lens.
In fact, very surprised that at 36mp vs the 24mp of my A7k, the overall IQ is not degraded with the pixel density.

No sensor reflection issues too, which my A7K was a pain to work with in this area with the same lens.

Frank has also added more stuff to the Singapore link, so do check those out.

Last edited by pinholecam; 04-30-2016 at 10:53 PM.
05-01-2016, 02:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm looking forward to your shots from this. I always appreciated your shots on the "Pentax Lenses on Full Frame" thread. You have a knack for capturing interesting moments out of your part of the world and making lenses shine. (Hopefully I get a K-1 this coming week sometime).

05-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is interesting that you chose the M20 for your first post here with the K-1. That is one of the lenses I am most anxious to try on the new camera. Lovely photo.
05-01-2016, 05:37 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm looking forward to your shots from this. I always appreciated your shots on the "Pentax Lenses on Full Frame" thread. You have a knack for capturing interesting moments out of your part of the world and making lenses shine. (Hopefully I get a K-1 this coming week sometime).

You are certainly one of the guys who keeps the beacon shining here.
I am sure you will like the K1 very much.

Its very well thought out imho.

---------- Post added 05-01-2016 at 08:41 PM ----------

Another shot, this time with the M50/2

Ironically, I'm still trying out manual focus lenses rather than just going straight for AF ones like FA* and FA limiteds.

I'm really surprised that despite the span in age of these lenses, the infinity mark is still about accurate when the lenses are mounted on a 2016 K-mount camera.
05-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well you'd hope they would be! That's the magic of a single standard flange distance after all.
05-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
It is interesting that you chose the M20 for your first post here with the K-1. That is one of the lenses I am most anxious to try on the new camera. Lovely photo.

Yes, ironically, I'm still on a manual lens staple

The M20/4 is a lens I intend to being to a coming trip, so I've to run thru my lens options in real use conditions before the trip.

Now, this is the strange part after fiddling with a few wides on the K1. (K24, K28, M20, Samyang 14)
I've not concluded yet, since these are based on peeping on the LCD at x8 magnification, so take it with a dose of salt.

It seems, that Pentax somehow managed to get pretty reasonable performance with this 36mp sensor for these wides as compared to what I got from the Sony A7.
The edges and/or corners seem to be on par or hold on to IQ a little bit better even though the A7 is a lower 24mp.
In fact, I have been passed the K24/2.8 samples shot on the A7R and they were really not good on that implementation of the 36mp sensor.
Somehow, Pentax seems to have managed it better. (at least from my inspection thru the magnified view of the LCD)
05-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #12

Thank you for doing this, much appreciated. I have a collection of K series lenses. I hope they work well in the K-1
05-02-2016, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Joining the SG Pentax K1...

Posting one of the photo with the FA31.

05-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #14

The full magic from these lenses can now be revealed in the digital age! It's an exciting thing. I didn't think the full frame gap would be so big, because we only really saw other brands lenses at 35mm, or sony'd pentax lenses. These results are far and above I was hoping for the glass I would want to shoot at 35mm.

Great days yet again!
05-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #15

Where is the K-1 assembled? I'm not seeing it in our stores in the philippines.